Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 26, 2018 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on Victor RE45 phono cartridge
PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 8:19 pm 

Hi all,
This is the Victor with the Micro-synchronous chassis with 26's and 27's. After finally getting a platter and the motor cleaned and lubed, I thought I would check for output. With the volume control removed, I was able to get sound from the signal tracer, but only on the most sensitive range. The cartridge winding measures 60 ohms. I was able to get 2 microamps AC with the record's loudest passages. But certainly there must be something wrong.
I'm sure that I should already know what the problem is, but this is my first phono/radio without a crystal cartridge. My next one will be a Philco 211 if I can get this one working. I've heard that there are people who refurbish these magnetic cartridges; perhaps someone could recommend a reliable source. Or, maybe I could just use a preamp? But this set is too nice to kludge up Frankenstein-style... Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need advice on Victor RE45 phono cartridge
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 1:06 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
I wd temporarily banana plug the cart up to a compatible mag preamp that's within the range of the cart in question and see if the sound is clear. usually if the cart is blown the sound will be distorted.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on Victor RE45 phono cartridge
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 4:19 am 

I have an RE-45 that I refinished before I moved--24 years ago--and haven't restored electronically yet. But in searching around recently I found a site about rebuilding the pickup. It's mostly a matter of replacing internal rubber parts with new, non-petrified rubber. I just searched around briefly and could not find the site but will see if I printed out the info and can find the address.

Chris Campbell