Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 17, 2018 7:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Modern replacement phonograph?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 03, 2018 4:20 am 

If it was shipped to you could perhaps something have come loose during shipping even though it was packed well?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 03, 2018 6:06 pm 

I suppose that's a possibility. The box was pretty smashed up when I got it. I just wish I could figure out what the deal is. I'm cautiously optimistic that new mounts will fix it, but I'm still trying to keep the brain going to think what it could be. Everything else works fine, and my records sound perfectly chipmunk-y when playing fast. Even most of the kinks seem to be out of the 16 RPM setting, and it sounds like Satan himself is singing to me (although, it still hops around a bit, too). I'd have worried about the motor if it was doing it on all speeds, but it seems that 33 is the only one that is really bad (of course, as that's the only one I really want to use...). It worked fine for like a week, then started randomly slowing down. I've tried cleaning the idler wheel and the platter where the idler rides, as well as the shaft on the motor. No dice. It was kind of intermittent to begin with, but is now solidly no good. I can get maybe 10 seconds of good play before it starts to go all wonky (technical term). I don't know why applying pressure to the platter makes it better, but it does...Anyhow, I've got some mounts on the way, so hopefully I'll get them in by the weekend. Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:43 am 

johnnyreece wrote:
I suppose that's a possibility. The box was pretty smashed up when I got it. I just wish I could figure out what the deal is. I'm cautiously optimistic that new mounts will fix it, but I'm still trying to keep the brain going to think what it could be. Everything else works fine, and my records sound perfectly chipmunk-y when playing fast. Even most of the kinks seem to be out of the 16 RPM setting, and it sounds like Satan himself is singing to me (although, it still hops around a bit, too). I'd have worried about the motor if it was doing it on all speeds, but it seems that 33 is the only one that is really bad (of course, as that's the only one I really want to use...). It worked fine for like a week, then started randomly slowing down. I've tried cleaning the idler wheel and the platter where the idler rides, as well as the shaft on the motor. No dice. It was kind of intermittent to begin with, but is now solidly no good. I can get maybe 10 seconds of good play before it starts to go all wonky (technical term). I don't know why applying pressure to the platter makes it better, but it does...Anyhow, I've got some mounts on the way, so hopefully I'll get them in by the weekend. Thanks again for the help!

You know, this is sounding more and more like a possible bad motor bearing

PostPosted: Apr Wed 04, 2018 11:23 am 

Artcurus wrote:
You know, this is sounding more and more like a possible bad motor bearing

Could very well be, although it would have the issue on all speeds.

Post subject: Re: Modern replacement phonograph/V-M speed issues
PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2018 11:23 pm 

So, got my parts from Gary at V-M today and tore into it. Interestingly enough, it doesn’t appear to have separate bearings; just a copper looking sleeve. So, I cleaned it up a little and put some sewing machine oil on the bearings and tried to wick some in the top (the shaft appears pressed on to the speed selecting part, so it wouldn’t come apart). Put it all together, and it seems to work on all speeds! Listening to Bowie Hunky Dory, and all seems well. Let’s see how long it holds out. Thanks again for all the help!

Edit 4/9/18 - fixed typos...I hate trying to use a message board with my tiny phone and its stupid autocorrect...On a side note, I've probably played a dozen different records with no sign of the issues I was having.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2