Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 14, 2018 11:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jukebox Vintage Mirrors
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 11:04 am 

These type artistic mirrors were used in a bar or restaurant most likely. A coin operated (5 cent) telephone was accessible to patrons of the establishment. They could deposit their coin and talk to a young lady who would take their request for a particular song (record). The location of these young ladies could be a basement, a backroom or even miles away.

The room was stocked with the most poplar records (78 RPM, of course) and after, perhaps a very brief conversation, the lady would play the record for that customer. Most of these had multiple turntables so a number of customers could be served the music they selected. I hope to learn more about these systems of "human operated jukeboxes". Real details are scarce but several "B" movies have been made involving this unique system.

https://imageshack.com/i/pnj7XzPTj

https://imageshack.com/i/pmrSOEfKj

Post subject: Re: Jukebox Vintage Mirrors
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 5:13 pm 

Nice backglass. That appears to be for a Filben, possibly Mirrocle Music, which normall was a façade selector and speaker that was connected to a hide away. Although Filben did produce a Telephone Line Music System, or TLMS, they are quite rare and more often the façade selector can be found. The glass you have is likely for a Filben TLMS.

There were a series of stories that appeared in Nickel A Tune magazine back in the early 1980's, which detailed many of the brands (with pictures) of TLMS machines from 1938 to 1950.

Here is a picture of a Mirrocle Music, I don't have a picture of the Maestro TLMS.

Attachments:
Mirrocle.jpg
Mirrocle.jpg [ 58.49 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 10:18 am 

Thank You! I greatly appreciate your information and response! Now I even have the name of the likely machine my mirrors came from! Thanks! I really like and appreciate the image you posted! How well I remember the "Nickel A Tune Magazine". Thank You (I am 99% sure it was you) for publishing it! It was great. I have a couple of boxes of stuff I have not looked at in years. I am hoping I retained the "Nickel A Tune" magazines. The author was amazingly knowledgeable! I am almost certain I have all the Steve Loots issues of his Victory Glass.

I have one other glass that is missing a significant amount of silvering around the edges. I will be building (working at it anyway) a frame and light box for it. After I get them built the next challenge is hanging them. Heavy and large and the walls are already full. As much as I hate to mess with authenticity I will have the size slightly reduced to get rid of the silvering problem and because it is very difficult for me to move/hang heavy things these days. I've passed up machines I really wanted but old age is a fact of life.

Found on internet - http://www.decophobia.com/pantages+maes ... +selector/

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:29 pm 

Thank you for that. Here are a few other links which reference TLMS's:
http://juke-box.dk/gert-telephone-music.htm
http://earlyradiohistory.us/1909musi.htm
http://www.ronsusser.com/inventory/list ... -operator/

Hope that helps you on your way to studying this group of rare jukeania! Russie Ofria

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:35 pm 

On a side note, you mentioned attending the Fun Faire in one of your past posts. I wonder if you might know who is in the picture shown here. One of the persons in me. The other two I'm not sure. This was taken at the Fun Faire about 1982? Cheers, Russie Ofria

Attachments:
IMG_2844.JPG
IMG_2844.JPG [ 133.61 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 11:08 am 

I am so bad at remembering people and other stuff!! I'll take a wild guess on one. I think the man in the middle is Ed Jones (Jukebox Junction). We did the Fun Fair for two or was it three years. We were Wendy's Nostalgia. We made a lot of money and were very sorry to see that show fade away. We met Tab Hunter and the guy who played the judge on Night Court (my wife would remember for sure, I don't). My terrible memory worries me a lot.

I have, I believe, some Fun Fair pictures taken near our booth. I'll see if I can find them if you like.

I bought some beautiful grill cloth for a W-700 from someone in Reseda, CA. It was gold with a touch of green. I keep thinking it may have been you. I've never found any grill cloth as nice as that was.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 5:46 pm 

Yes, my company, The Classic Jukebox Co., supplied a green with metallic pattern grille cloth. We bought a bolt of it and it all went within a year. Those were fun days! Met a bunch of great people, some of which I still stay in contact with, others have left this world. Do you remember Danton Burroughs? He and I used to do a lot of trading and I still have a few of the items I got from him. It was much easier to find stuff then. Has it all disappeared into the hands of collectors, or to Europe?
Ed Jones was a great supplier of parts back then. We were friendly competitors and his company (Jukebox Junction) was the one who acquired my company (The Classic Jukebox Co) back in 1980. I went on to publish Nickel A Tune.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:25 am 

I was sure you published "Nickel A Tune"! I hope I still have all the copies. I enjoyed it! Need to look and see. I haven't any recollection of Mr. Burroughs. Anna and I made a few trips to Bertrand MO. to buy a few machines from Charles McConkey. Great friend and guy but now gone. I still have the original Wurlitzer poster frame I got from him and later found a NOS original poster for that frame. I think Ed jones made the posters but they were only about 80% size. I still see those around on Ebay sometimes.
Thanks for the links! A lot of great reading and info!