Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 18, 2018 5:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Microtouch 2G record changer - running slowly - help!
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:25 pm 

Hi folks,

I'm really hoping the collective widsom here can help solve my problem because I am so frustrated! I have a 1964 Zenith console stereo, top of the line for it's time. It has a Zenith Microtouch 2g record changer, made in house by Zenith. It is working fairly well except it is running slowly on all speeds. On 16rpm it doesn't want to turn at all.

First thing I did was replace the belt. That didn't work. I looked at the idler wheel and it all seems fine - rubber seems ok and it turns freely.

I've removed whatever dried out grease I can see, and everything in the mechanism underneath seems to move freely but I must be missing something.

Here is a video I took to show the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi71tHlAC78

I'm really hoping to get some advice because I want this thing to rock and roll like it did 50 years ago!!

Thanks in advance!!

Nick

Post subject: Re: Zenith Microtouch 2G record changer - running slowly - h
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:50 pm 

Start by completely disassembling the motor, clean all the dried up lubricant out of the bearings and off the shafts, then relubricate with something like Turbine Oil. The old oil typically breaks down over the years and causes excessive friction in the bearings, which cannot be corrected by merely applying new oil without first removing all the gunk from them. That can make it run slow and lose torque. The lowest speed typically is more critical than any other speed so issues often show up there first, or worse than at other speeds. The part of the shaft which the belt or idler runs on has to be perfectly clean and dry.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:34 pm 

In addition also:

1. Replace the old idler wheel.
Looks can be deceiving.

2. Replace motor mount grommets

3. Soak motor bearings' housings in solvent x 24hrs,
to wick out any old oil in the felt oil reservoirs.

4. Post photo of the motor.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:50 pm 

Here are a couple of pictures of what I assume is the motor. I am not very handy with these things but I guess I need to figure out a way to disassemble it! Any tips? What's the best way to remove the old grease... is there a product I should purchase to assist me? Thanks again!

Attachments:
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG [ 67.17 KiB | Viewed 836 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:52 pm 

Here is another view of the motor

Attachments:
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG [ 111.48 KiB | Viewed 836 times ]
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG [ 111.48 KiB | Viewed 836 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 1:58 am 

Those screws are holding it together. When you remove them, the bearing housings (with the rotor trapped into one of the bearings in many cases) will come out. Make sure you mark the field coil for which direction the shaft points......if you put it together upside down the motor will run backwards.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 5:36 pm 

I would suspect that you actually have a worn idler wheel. What you could do is to clean the rubber idler wheel surface with a degreaser (e.g. 'Mean Green'), and see if there's any improvement. If so, then you would know for a fact that the idler wheel is worn. What you could also do is to simply apply a drop of sewing machine oil to the motor bearings, and see if the speed returns to normal.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 7:34 pm 

In addition to the idler wheel, this changer also has a drive belt. It's a very good changer once lubricated and oiled. The platter pulls up from the top, (after you lift up the 45 rpm spindle). There are rubber grommets that get quite sticky and makes it hard to lift the platter off, but it just sits on them.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 8:59 pm 

The belt has already been replaced.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 2:52 am 

Hi everybody. Thank you for your continued help. Ok I have taken apart the motor and cleaned it up. However I have discovered a new problem which may be the key. The idler wheel works great and turns the thing that drives the belt quite nicely. HOWEVER when I switch down speeds from 78 to 45 to 33 to 16 - on 16 the idler wheel itself comes in contact with the underside of the record player frame. This causes the whole thing to stop. Could this be a key to the slower speed? Here is a video to show what I mean. I have no idea how to fix or adjust this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHVX8oXOQQ

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:15 am 

Are you running the turntable on its side? That would pretty much place in question any problem you are seeing. It has to be run in it's normal operating position.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:46 am 

Same thing happens in the regular position unfortunately...

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 4:03 am 

Where did you obtain this changer by the way? I know that you replaced the belt, but was the original belt the correct one for this changer?

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:33 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
Where did you obtain this changer by the way? I know that you replaced the belt, but was the original belt the correct one for this changer?

To add to that question: Was this sold to you as "restored"? Someone may have put in new grommets for the motor platform that have the grooves in the wrong spot. This could hold the whole motor assembly too high in the changer, causing this interference. But it's just speculation. There could be other reasons.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:27 am 

Hello! The console stereo was handed down to me by the original owner. The original belt was very worn and loose, so I got a new one from Gary at the Voice of Music. I am confident that I have the correct belt.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 4:34 am 

I'd need to see it in person because I can't tell from the photos, and it's been years since I serviced them in the shop since only a few Zenith models had that changer back then. But I'm coming up with two possibilities if we are already sure the rubber grommets are the right ones. First, there might be an adjustment such as a setscrew that changes the position of the idler wheel, limiting its travel to the space where it can't hit anything at the top or bottom of travel. Second, could someone have taken it apart and incorrectly reassembled spacer washers thereby changing the position of the idler?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 3:02 pm 

Hi Dennis - thanks for the tips. I have been sick but when I feel a bit better I will have another look and maybe post some more photos. I think you might be on to something.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 10:21 pm 

Ok, we might be experiencing similar problems on this changer. I posted issues with my spring needing to be retensioned. It is easy for this to go out of adjustment. If the part that moves up and down to select speeds gets out of its position it can make your spring loosen. You have to have proper tension on the spring to push idler wheel arm against metal wheel that spins belt.

Also, I had to rebuild my motor to get it back to proper speed, there is a thread that covers this. When i was reassembling this is where my problem occurred with my spring. Search x968 motor rebuild.

I think it’s a sensitive turntable in the end with little springs doing major things.

Hope this helps.