Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 17, 2018 1:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cartridge wire connections?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 2:34 pm 

I am going to retro-fit an astatic 51-2 cartridge into my 1939 RCA Victor R-100 phono "attachment". There are white and black wires coming up through the units tone arm. Do I need to connect these wires to the proper connection on the cartridge or does it not matter?
Thank you - Joe

Post subject: Re: Cartridge wire connections?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 3:13 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
Do I need to connect these wires to the proper connection on the cartridge or does it not matter?
If you get them on wrong the sound will be upside down. :shock:

Sure doesn't seem like it should matter. I've not run into any mono cartridge that was polarity restrictive (not saying there isn't one out there somewhere - but hard to imagine why).

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 3:32 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
Do I need to connect these wires to the proper connection on the cartridge or does it not matter?
If you get them on wrong the sound will be upside down. :shock:

Sure doesn't seem like it should matter. I've not run into any mono cartridge that was polarity restrictive (not saying there isn't one out there somewhere - but hard to imagine why).

Curtis Eickerman

Thank you very much Curtis. Please forgive a total novice when it comes to repair work. After 35 years of collecting I can tell you the year and model number of many sets, but ask me a technical questions and I'll likely give you a blank stare! :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 3:42 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
... but ask me a technical questions and I'll likely give you a blank stare! :lol:
Well indeed it took me a minute to think about the situation before I answered just trying to be sure there wasn't some reason I had not thought of.

Now with stereo cartridges and stereo amplifiers there is something to be considered. Obviously you have to get the left channel pair of wires connected to one side and the right channel wires connected to the other. Then if you get the left channel wires on backward compared to the right wires you end up with a sound phase problem at the speakers just the same as if you swapped the speaker wiring on one channel. This will cause some odd sounding conditions (certain sounds will try to cancel when they are supposed to reinforce, and the perception of where the sound is coming from is real odd).

By the way, even if you hook them up all wrong on a stereo cartridge things will sound goofy, but nothing is harmed in the process. So, you just try again. At least there are a limited number of ways to hook up four wires incorrectly. :D

However, with a monaural cartridge there is no difference with regard to which wire goes where.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 4:54 pm 

Thanks again for all the info Curt!