Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 11, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg M100C restoration
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 12:24 am 

Found and bought an M100C today, I must be mad, I already have a B and a Q (probably sell the Q at this point) I have no room as it is but I've always like the colors on the C, and the price was not too bad, though it'll need wallets full of cash to bring back to it's original glory.

There was a sign on it either from the store I bought it from, or wherever they got it, claiming it was the Jukebox from the show M*A*S*H*, it
is the same model but I do not believe it's the same machine, it's painted in a bright hideous scheme but not the same colors as the box on the show, scraping some paint off shows no evidence it ever was.

Powered it up and the motor runs, the amp works (verified by feeding an iPod into it) lots of dirty contacts keeping it from functioning properly, also some funky wiring mods under the arm where (best guess) someone was trying to run it through an external amp.

Things that are missing: mech cover inside mirrors, side glass, dome glass (has home made plexi dome) some of the grille bars, instruction glass, coin door, coin gear etc.
One important thing that isn't missing, the color cylinder system for the Pilasters, that appears to all be intact.

It'll be a project for sure but like I did with my B I'll just pick up bits and pieces as I find them until it's complete.

Attachments:
seeburgc-overall.jpg
seeburgc-overall.jpg [ 40.81 KiB | Viewed 2776 times ]
seeburgc-carraige.jpg
seeburgc-carraige.jpg [ 54.95 KiB | Viewed 2776 times ]
seeburgcamp.jpg
seeburgcamp.jpg [ 47.07 KiB | Viewed 2776 times ]
seeburgc-2.jpg
seeburgc-2.jpg [ 33.93 KiB | Viewed 2776 times ]

Last edited by Eric H on Feb Fri 16, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Seeburg #3
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 10:47 am 

I like the Seeburg C a lot. It sure takes a while to get all the parts together and do all the work. Someone used to sell shiny bright tubes, made of metal, to replace the glass grill mirrored tubes. One of the Seeburg C's I had needed the glass tubes re-silvered. A shop in Phoenix, at the time, agreed to do the job. I don't think it was too expensive and they were beautiful. When I picked them up I was told to never bring another glass tube in to be re-silvered because it turned into a very difficult job.

Having just finished doing a round pinbank for a Rock-Ola 1478 I again appreciate the Seeburg pinbanks. Thanks for the pictures!

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 7:26 pm 

The list of "things it needs" just gets longer!

Someone at some time removed eight of the twelve grill bars, they then filled the holes with wood filler? That was easy to remove but I still need new grille bars, the four I have are rusty and wrapped in 1970's Space Tape. :lol:

Attachments:
grilleholes1.jpg
grilleholes1.jpg [ 43.72 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]
grilleholes3.jpg
grilleholes3.jpg [ 23.02 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 11:10 pm 

And finally making some real progress.
Taking lots of pictures along the way to help put it back together.

First order went in to Victory Glass this morning for the essentials needed to put the Mechanism back together, motor mounts, decals & paint mostly, the mounts weren't horrible but while it's apart...

Attachments:
m100cbarecabinet.jpg
m100cbarecabinet.jpg [ 41.68 KiB | Viewed 2695 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seeburg M100C restoration
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 3:42 am 

I changed the title of this thread to more accurately describe what's currently going on, not that anyone necessarily cares. :lol:

I started stripping the cabinet, it took an hour and a lot of Citristrip to get it to this point, and just on one side.

Beneath the orange is some grey (or light blue) below that is some white, the white appears to be the last color before bare wood.
The black area also has the grey and white but under that is what appears to be some of the original wood grain, which I assume is a faux finish?

Attachments:
cstripped.jpg
cstripped.jpg [ 55.39 KiB | Viewed 2644 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 6:12 am 

Eric H wrote:
Beneath the orange is some grey (or light blue) below that is some white, the white appears to be the last color before bare wood.
The black area also has the grey and white but under that is what appears to be some of the original wood grain, which I assume is a faux finish?

Are you aware of this site?
https://www.jukebox-world.de/Forum/Arch ... gM100C.htm

I noticed it has a link to someone else's restoration.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 11:23 am 

Thanks for the pictures! It's always fun to see the restoration. It's always fun to see before and after pictures. That all reminds me of a Seeburg B, that I bought years ago. A widow of a biker had it and it was covered with a heavy fake fur. Wish I had a picture! It was all tacked and glued on with hundreds of big tacks. The fur was so full of dust I had to wear a mask. It was terrible getting it all off. When I finally did I had hundreds of tack holes to fill in. I think I just painted it or used Formica to make it look good. In those days they still made (or I found some NOS) a pink with boomerangs in it. It was really Fifties looking.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 3:55 am 

I stripped the other side tonight, one application took care of the orange, a second application took it to mostly bare wood, it's much lighter than the picture shows.

I believe this box was a Blonde, what I thought was white paint may be the original finish, there is no trace of anything else underneath it, just clean white wood.

You can see some residual vertical striping on the lower part of the front overhang, the upper part is darker and I think that muddy brown looking stuff is the original finish.

I believe this video may be what this machine looked like originally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQyY8vNf-0g

How many different finishes was the C available in originally?

Attachments:
seeburg-side-stripped.jpg
seeburg-side-stripped.jpg [ 43.85 KiB | Viewed 2610 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 10:08 am 

I have always thought the Model C all had the same factory finish. I sure could be wrong. I've had three of three of them and they all had the same finish. I think, I liked the glass grill tubes and the changing pilaster colors best. Aw, heck, I never met a jukebox I did not like.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 3:41 am 

I have done a ton of work to this thing in the three weeks since I got it.

Amplifier completely recapped and working, receiver 90% recapped, changer mechanism taken completely apart, cleaned and reassembled. new motor mounts and drive coupler, replaced the motor with a newer spare I had on hand that has vinyl wiring instead of the old cloth stuff, the old motor had the wires spliced and looked terrible.

The record rack completely disassembled, cleaned, painted and put back together, I still have to paint the base for the changer and the new mechanism cover.
Got new Styli for the Redhead cartridge and tried it out in my other Juke, it works! Doesn't have the Bass response of the Blackhead but it sounds good and it may sound better when used with the Amp it was designed for.

Took the animation motor apart and cleaned and lubed it, it still makes noise and runs hotter than Hades but it will work.

I started on the Pinbank and found some broken wires in the relay blocks which I fixed, I also found a couple selection coils that had been severely overheated to the point the plastic started to melt, one of those had a short so I'm waiting on the partial Pinbank section I bought on eBay to arrive.

Stripping the cabinet is done as well as most of the sanding, it still needs a few repairs to the base to get ready for Veneer. A lucky break that most of the little edge dings are on the bottom or back sides, the curved edges are nice and sharp.

Attachments:
seeburg-sanded3.jpg
seeburg-sanded3.jpg [ 63.65 KiB | Viewed 2514 times ]
seeburgsanded2.jpg
seeburgsanded2.jpg [ 56.14 KiB | Viewed 2514 times ]
coilmelt.jpg
coilmelt.jpg [ 55.36 KiB | Viewed 2514 times ]
cleanpins.jpg
cleanpins.jpg [ 84.72 KiB | Viewed 2514 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 9:00 am 

You are making great progress! Looks better already! I don't mind doing the Seeburg pinbank but I hate changing those individual coils. I have only did that once and it was years ago. I forget how it is even done. We just finished a round pinbank for a Rockola 1478. What a miserable job that was. It is very difficult to get back together as everything has to line up perfectly for the top/bottom plates to come together correctly.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 2:44 am 

Made some progress with the painting today.

I did the yellow parts a couple weeks ago, I had only planned on painting the new cover and touching up the Turquoise parts but the paint started peeling off the base after I cleaned all the gunk off of it so I stripped it down to bare metal and started from scratch.

The Turquoise paint came with the new Repro Mechanism cover, I wasn't sure if it would be enough to do everything but it turned out to be more than enough, the Victory Glass paint is expensive but is top notch stuff.

I also got the mechanism put back together, the Amp & Receiver recapped (except one Cap I don't have in stock) and I hooked it all up on my Kitchen counter, nothing smoked or caught fire, in fact it worked pretty well, motor runs, credit unit works, keyboard works, pinbank works, except some of the pins don;t fire when selected, more likely a bad connection somewhere than anything in the pinbank. Manually tripping the mechanism proves it will cycle correctly.

The Repro cover is pretty nice but it has some flaws that needed some attention to look it's best, a little Spot Putty works wonders, followed by a couple coats of Primer (real automotive stuff, not Krylon) then a quick wet sand with 600 grit followed by the Turquoise.

The model C is only one year later than the rather subdued Model B, J.P. Seeburg must have said lets get crazy with the colors this year!

Attachments:
seeburgbase.jpg
seeburgbase.jpg [ 89.79 KiB | Viewed 2405 times ]
C-cover2.jpg
C-cover2.jpg [ 29.21 KiB | Viewed 2405 times ]
coverputty.jpg
coverputty.jpg [ 28.65 KiB | Viewed 2405 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 12:01 pm 

That Looks Great! It's going to be a great looking jukebox! Enjoy looking at your pictures!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 12:52 am 

juke47 wrote:
That Looks Great! It's going to be a great looking jukebox! Enjoy looking at your pictures!

Thank you, I appreciate the comments, I need all the encouragement I can get to keep plugging away at it. :D

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 4:40 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
I have an LPC1R viewtopic.php?f=9&t=336445 that after having everything done to it just about - still runs slow on the 45 w the speed knob in the front behind the speakers maxed out.

Have the service manual but not being that much of an ET it doesn't tell me much.

That's the only potentiometer on the Auto Speed conrtrol unit (it runs 33 and 45 but the 33 is alright even tho its at the top of the speed range).

So my question is
A) is there any other speed adjustments anywhere - like on the motor
B) is there a fixed resistor someplace I could clip and solder in a potentiometer to bring the speed up only on the 45.
C) do I need to find a 50Hz motor pulley to put on and bring the speed up that way.

But even if I do C) then the 33 and 45 will still be out of whack to each other i.e. whenever the 33 is alright the 45 is slow just like now and vice versa.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 10:13 am 

I put the changer back on the base tonight. Some of the small screws holding various bits on were missing or incorrect when I got it, I found that the little screws used in Computers for the case and hard drive are exactly the right size, and Chrome to boot so I used them to hold the Selection Playing display on.

I have one of the plastic mechanism end caps that needs a minor repair and some paint (I'm all out of the Yellow), the second one is on it's way to me from England.

Attachments:
seeburgtogether.jpg
seeburgtogether.jpg [ 50.75 KiB | Viewed 2306 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 7:40 pm 

ndiamone wrote:
I have an LPC1R viewtopic.php?f=9&t=336445 that after having everything done to it just about - still runs slow on the 45 w the speed knob in the front behind the speakers maxed out.

Have the service manual but not being that much of an ET it doesn't tell me much.

That's the only potentiometer on the Auto Speed conrtrol unit (it runs 33 and 45 but the 33 is alright even tho its at the top of the speed range).

So my question is
A) is there any other speed adjustments anywhere - like on the motor
B) is there a fixed resistor someplace I could clip and solder in a potentiometer to bring the speed up only on the 45.
C) do I need to find a 50Hz motor pulley to put on and bring the speed up that way.

But even if I do C) then the 33 and 45 will still be out of whack to each other i.e. whenever the 33 is alright the 45 is slow just like now and vice versa.

I don't know very much about your machine, but it could be that the 33 rpm speed is times by the 60 Hz line frequency while the 45 is controlled with an oscillator that is effected by the speed control. I know this is how it is done on some, or visa- versa.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 7:41 pm 

Looking great Eric!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 2:25 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Notimetolooz wrote:
The 33 rpm speed is times by the 60 Hz line frequency while the 45
is controlled with an oscillator that is effected by the speed control.
That much is in the book. Doesn't tell you what to do about it other than the speed control. Like I said -
the potentiometer in the autospeed unit is topped out so you can't go any faster on 45 OR 33 the way it is.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 5:05 am 

ndiamone wrote:
Notimetolooz wrote:
The 33 rpm speed is times by the 60 Hz line frequency while the 45
is controlled with an oscillator that is effected by the speed control.
That much is in the book. Doesn't tell you what to do about it other than the speed control. Like I said -
the potentiometer in the autospeed unit is topped out so you can't go any faster on 45 OR 33 the way it is.

Probably need to put this in another thread since it isn't a M100C. Can you post at least the speed control part of the schematic? Very possibly a resistor or capacitor has changed value. Did you say the machine has been re-capped?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next