Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Properly using the '49 RCA 9EY3 45 player
PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 10:58 pm 

I just acquired one of these tabletop 45 players, completely overhauled, and am enjoying using it. What do you do once the changer is in action when you want to stop the machine? Do you just turn it off at any point and force the arm over onto it's stand? I am surprised that there is no way to stop the changer action once you start it going to even replace the record selections. Any advice is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Properly using the '49 RCA 9EY3 45 player
PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:09 pm 

You don't want to ever handle the tonearm when it is in the change cycle. You wait until the cycle is complete and the arm has landed on the lead in groove. You then lift the arm and return it to the rest and turn off the power.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:16 pm 

orthophonic wrote:
You don't want to ever handle the tonearm when it is in the change cycle. You wait until the cycle is complete and the arm has landed on the lead in groove. You then lift the arm and return it to the rest and turn off the power.

Thank you! Good to know.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:19 pm 

It's simple when you follow the "no force" rule.

This rule works with EVERYthing from little plastic toy stuff to auto mechanics to women.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:28 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
It's simple when you follow the "no force" rule.

This rule works with EVERYthing from little plastic toy stuff to auto mechanics to women.

Haha! Very true. So it's best just to just turn the machine off when you want to put a new stack of records on it?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:45 pm 

You don't have to turn it off, just wait for the cycle and place the tonearm on the rest. remove the records and install a new stack, hit the reject and you are good to go.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 12:20 am 

orthophonic wrote:
You don't have to turn it off, just wait for the cycle and place the tonearm on the rest. remove the records and install a new stack, hit the reject and you are good to go.

Thanks so much for the info. This example I got was so nicely restored that I don't want to do anything to damage it.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 5:58 am 

Quote:
I am surprised that there is no way to stop the changer action once you start it going to even replace the record selections.

Almost all single speed changers are like this. Auto-stop was invented about the same time as multi-speed units.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 12:42 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
Quote:
I am surprised that there is no way to stop the changer action once you start it going to even replace the record selections.

Almost all single speed changers are like this. Auto-stop was invented about the same time as multi-speed units.

I've been using the player now a few times and I see it's pretty simple to just bring the arm over to it's stand when it's playing. I'm just so used to on/off switches on later Hi-Fi's. I guess RCA wanted to produce at the lowest cost possible.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 3:31 pm 

If you like, there's no harm in stopping the arm from going in towards the record during a cycle with your finger, just don't stop it from moving out.

After removing the records, I take the arm off it's rest. I don't like to leave it spring loaded. If everything is adjusted properly, the stylus should not be able to touch the metal chassis.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 11:12 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
I've been using the player now a few times and I see it's pretty simple to just bring the arm over to it's stand when it's playing. I'm just so used to on/off switches on later Hi-Fi's. I guess RCA wanted to produce at the lowest cost possible.

Did you know that there were early Australian radios without an on/off switch?

I know it's hard to believe until you visit the country and then it makes sense, because all of their outlets (power points) have a small rocker switch on them so power can be shut off at the plug.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 3:37 am 

Pbpix wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:

Did you know that there were early Australian radios without an on/off switch?

I know it's hard to believe until you visit the country and then it makes sense, because all of their outlets (power points) have a small rocker switch on them so power can be shut off at the plug.

That's interesting. I didn't know. The only radio I have without an on/off switch is my 1933 Kadette Jr. It has the original "curtain-burner" that does not have a switch on it.
The 45 player does have an on/off switch, but not one that cancels the changer mechanism and brings it to idle.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 3:40 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
That's interesting. I didn't know. The only radio I have without an on/off switch is my 1933 Kadette Jr. It has the original "curtain-burner" that does not have a switch on it.
The 45 player does have an on/off switch, but not one that cancels the changer mechanism and brings it to idle.

here in the States too years ago most appliances just plugged into a hanging light bub socket with a twist switch on it.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 5:27 pm 

I usually activate the reject cycle, and then very carefully catch the tone arm as it's about to set down. That or less frequently pick up the arm while playing.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 6:49 pm 

classicelectronicsguy wrote:
I usually activate the reject cycle, and then very carefully catch the tone arm as it's about to set down. That or less frequently pick up the arm while playing.

Now that I'm using it several times I see how simple it is. I think when you first get one of these, when it's in cycle, your not sure what to grab and when! :D

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 4:14 pm 

The best way for me is to wait until the tone arm swings back to above the lead-in area,hold the arm by the front,then wait 2 to 3 seconds and then return the arm to the rest and turn it off. Picking the arm up while the stylus is settled down risks causing a scratch.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 8:19 pm 

HI FI BOB wrote:
The best way for me is to wait until the tone arm swings back to above the lead-in area,hold the arm by the front,then wait 2 to 3 seconds and then return the arm to the rest and turn it off. Picking the arm up while the stylus is settled down risks causing a scratch.

Very good idea. I hate when you accidently skid the needle on a good old record!