Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Victor VE 10-50x parts
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 12:38 am 

Just scored an absolutely gorgeous 10-50x. I already see pieces of pot metal lying about. I truly want to see this beauty work but shell need replacement parts. Is anyone still making parts? If not, has anyone had experience fabricating them that could provide some guidance?

Post subject: Re: Victor VE 10-50x parts
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 5:32 pm 

Greetings and congratulations on your 10-50 acquisition. I acquired one about three years ago with the usual pot metal problems; warped base for the record stack, warped record guide shoe, warped collar on the tone arm and disintegrated gears on the record size shafts.
After checking several sources, I learned that several people made parts over the years, but few of them kept going at it. I located a guy who made replacement parts out of plastic resins. I did not want that as I have had bad experiences before with cast plastic parts that are under load. I found that Boston Gear had a pair of gears that were suitable for replacing the bad ones in my 10-50. In the end, I wound up making the rest of the parts by cutting up brass pieces, soldering them together and grinding and filing to finish. I treated them with an oxidant to give them the dark brown color. The exception was the collar around the tone-arm base. It was intact, but had expanded enough to cause binding, preventing the tone-arm from freely rotating. I took a die grinder to it, and shaved enough material so there was clearance as necessary. My 10-50 is now working well and gets demonstrated regularly.
If you wish to know more, it would be easier to speak by phone. PM me your number and I will call you. Russie

Attachments:
IMG_2970.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG [ 96.19 KiB | Viewed 1459 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:34 pm 

Startgroove, that is just what I was looking for. I don't know how many parts yet are needing replaced, but you can see that the bracket that the frame pivots on has disintegrated. Thank you for offering to be a resource! I'm going to get a good look at the mechanism and see what I'm working with. Do you have a exploded view of the parts? I haven't looked yet but I'm assuming there are docs on the radio museum.

Attachments:
Victrola.jpg
Victrola.jpg [ 129.77 KiB | Viewed 1454 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:29 pm 

Well maybe we should start a 10-50 sight. I too have aquired one of these beasts with the same problems. Every part on my unit that is pot metal is shot. The good news was that the unit was inexpensive even with shipping but the top needs to be redone. As an art restorer I work with a number of crafts people so that's handled. It also came with a very good pot metal reproducer as well as one in brass. Because of what I do I am a bit overboard on condition. There is a supplier of parts and I can send you his info but I have my concerns. One of my neighbors is in the steel die business for stamping out metal parts and when I talked to him he talked to me about 3 D printing and gave me the number for a company here in Arizona. My initial conversation was that the digital work would run $200-275 and then costs for actually making the parts. They have photos of all the items that I sent them. They have plastics that are good for up to 20,000psi but can do parts in metal in about 60 days as they have another piece of equipment coming-or they can refer me to a company that they outsource to and I have seen the work and its very impressive.

The cost of a kit from the other supplier is $475 but he does provide a complete set of instructions. You send him your parts-he retro fits his and you hope they work. Some have had to do a lot to get them to fit and work right.

The 3D company has an interesting concept. They have a retail store where they have a retail line of 3D printers and they hold classes and even have a family night to teach people how to use and of course buy their equipment. Then they have the shop in an industrial complex where they have professional level equipment where they do the kind of work that I am asking about.

The kicker for me is getting enough good parts for then to make accurate images of-but I am working on that. If this works out I am going to make sets up and sell them at a breakeven cost.

Abe

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:55 pm 

Wow, you have really started down the right road it sounds. This is daunting, I see main hinge parts, gears, brackets.... I didn't think they made stuff this crappy back in those days. I wanted to restore it and enjoy it for a while before finding it a new home, but I'll never get my $ back on this it sounds..... Such a beautiful piece.....

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:27 pm 

I have a different take on things because of what I do. I have seen at least 2 of these in the last couple of years go for around $4500, Here in the west they may just sell for more because we see less of them. The unit I bought was from N.J. and it was very, very reasonable and I bought it knowing I would not live with the cabinet the way it was, but I factored that in. I like my stuff to look really good and to work...all the time. I tear all my machines down and when they are done they always work. I know that a number of members on this forum do the same.

I bought a machine a Victor RE-45 from a member of the forum-Joybird, Bob Timms and he did a wonderful job restoring the electronics. The cabinet needed just a bit of work. Many members would say that that with the shipping I paid too much for the unit. Maybe, but I have yet to find a nicer RE-45, I may or may not be able to get my money back, but I play the machine 3 or 4 times a week and after a number of years it has never failed to perform..

I do not have a ton of money and at 70 plus I keep thinking that I should quit this stuff because I have only sold 2 machines in 15 years but I really like the people and the hobby. I do not know much about the electronics stuff but I am learning abit and know the quality of good work and its value. Heck I even managed to build an Stran 3000 and it works!

These are great machines and I think that making one look good and work well is a task worth undertaking. If you want to get yours up and working sooner than later I can give you the existing suppliers info-he's a good guy and will work with you. But if you choose to wait I will let you know where I am with making these parts in a month or so.

Abe

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:25 pm 

Abe you must have a wonderful collection. In my 50's, I work full time and do this as a hobby when I find time. I sell my work to fund other projects. My enjoyment from it has inspired me to move up from phonos and amps, to Jukeboxes. I've done 3 so far and just love the meticulous work to make things run for decades more. The fun thing about selling your work is that repeat customers make up most of your work, if you are good at it and restore correctly.

If I restored this 10-50X mechanically, it would be a near mint example when done. The cabinet is simply perfect. Maybe that makes the cost of parts worth it in the long run. I'd keep it for about a year then start looking for someone to sell her to. In 9 years it will be 100!

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:41 pm 

My problem is that I restore things for others and then have to let them go. Sometimes to individuals other times for museums. But I never get to keep them. So when I restore one of these I tend to want to keep them.
I have a Victor VE-9-54E, with a perfect cabinet original albums, that is complete but needs the electronics and turntable done, RE-45, Victor 57, Victor RAE-26, a beautiful VE-9-25E, Victor 8-30, an Edison C-2, Edison C-4. Victor IV, Victor lll the 10-50, Edison Triumph with Music Master horn, Amberola 30, 50, V. Vl, X and 30 other machines throughout the house. But most importantly I have a grumbling wife who continues to allow me to add just "one more machine"
Abe

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:44 am 

You guys are great! I'm so glad to learn of others who share the interest in early electric phonographs. Lori and I have been jukebox collectors for a long time, and from that we segued to early record changers about three years ago. Among them a Victor 10-50, RAE-26, RAE-59, RAE-84, Capehart 7, Capehart 113, GM with Capehart 10-12C, Kelly with Capehart 10-12B, Brunswick 42 and Stromberg Carlson 14. The earliest jukebox we have is a 1910 Gabel Automatic Entertainer.

On the 10-50 parts; Many years ago, I was having parts cast from brass from a guy in Colorado. He was very good. My process was to make a wooden blank that was about 7% larger than the wanted dimensions. When I received the casting, I machined them to size. It saved a lot of machining that way, and worked so well, I had many other jukebox parts made by him. I've never tried to have 10-50 parts cast by him, but it probably would work out fine. I don't know how the cost compares to plastic casting, or printing, but it is a good way to get good brass parts.

I too am in my 70's. I've been rebuilding radios, phonographs, jukeboxes, pinball games and other coin-op machines since about 1976. From 1980 to 1984, I was publisher of Nickel A Tune, a magazine devoted to the history and collecting of jukeboxes. Don't want to seem like a brag here, just trying to establish my experience.

Meanwhile, I too could use a set or two of the parts that go bad in a 10-50, so add me to the list. Cheers, Russie Ofria

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:55 am 

Has anyone used a product like JB Weld or similar to strengthen these parts. The bracket that surrounds the tonearm looks like a parched desert surface ready to disintegrate. It's a large complex part that must be hell to recreate. While it is still intact, I was thinking I could mix up some JB Weld and basically fill it in the cracks to strenthen it before it breaks. Has this ever been done with any success?

Attachments:
victor bracket.jpg
victor bracket.jpg [ 133.08 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 7:46 pm 

Need4Art wrote:

The cost of a kit from the other supplier is $475 but he does provide a complete set of instructions. You send him your parts-he retro fits his and you hope they work. Some have had to do a lot to get them to fit and work right.

The kicker for me is getting enough good parts for then to make accurate images of-but I am working on that. If this works out I am going to make sets up and sell them at a breakeven cost.

Abe

I've connected with the fella out west and it's hard not to go that route. Just the fact that someone has committed such energy to create these parts and instructions, makes me want to support him. It will take a little time for me to come up with the 'scratch' but that's where selling my work comes in :) I've exposed the mechanism, but I won't pull it out until I'm ready to ship back the parts. I'm excited to know that this piece can actually be restored to functionality!!

Attachments:
mechanism.jpg
mechanism.jpg [ 193.36 KiB | Viewed 1397 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 11:07 pm 

I am sure that Carsten will help you to get the unit to work-he has done a lot of work in that area and even does the more complex changers, which I will work up to in time. The one in my 9-54 has to be done.

Abe

PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2018 12:24 am 

Boxed up all the pot metal parts and ready to ship them off to be refit. Meanwhile, I've disassembled the mechanism and cleaned/lubed up the changer and motor. Spun my first record today ( The Three Suns 'Twilight Time'). I love the governor spinning under the platter!! Speed adjusts perfectly and it is surprisingly loud just through the reproducer! Totally stoked about seeing this old-timer do it's thing. I'll post again when the parts arrive :)

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 10:10 pm 

Can you please post the contact information and any other info on this $475 retrofit kit? Thanks.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2018 8:00 pm 

For those that are interested I will be meeting with a 3-d imaging company this next week. I have a complete set of parts for them to view and take images off so that they can be reproduced in either metal or composite. They will be perfect reproductions of the originals and I have a couple of sets for them to view as well as the original 10"-12" knob.

I have no idea where the cost factor will be at this point and some may be done in composite, but I am leaning towards doing everything in metal at this point.

Abe

PostPosted: Apr Sun 08, 2018 4:29 pm 

If you make them in metal, I will be interested in one or two sets, depending on cost. TNX, Russie

PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2018 7:35 pm 

Can someone please post the contact information and any other info on this $475 retrofit kit? Thanks.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2018 1:24 pm 

PM sent.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2018 5:57 pm 

Got it, thanks. (It's Carsten.)

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 11:02 pm 

Well, I can hardly contain myself. This weekend I'll be putting it back together and testing her, probably for the first time in 60 years. Newly fabricated replacement parts arrived in the mail today!!! Hope to post pics and vid on U tube in the next few days!

Attachments:
1050x.jpg
1050x.jpg [ 180.89 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]