Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ferrite ring memory
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:25 pm 

Working on an old jukebox. I is mostly tube amp and mechanical record selection with the exception of the record select memory.
It uses ferrrite rings with 2 windings for memory. Best I can figure, it magnetizes in one direction (vertical) for a "1" and the other direction (horizontal) for a "0".

I think the magnetizing pulse voltage is missing but my vintage o'socpe crapped out and I haven't replaced it yet. I can't capture the pulse on a DMM but it may simply not be pulsing.

Anyone have any experience?

Post subject: Re: Ferrite ring memory
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:32 pm 

Fix or replace scope.

Seriously, it's pretty much impossible to trouble-shoot pulsed circuits without a scope.

Can you post the relevant section of the schematic?....or better, a link to the whole thing.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:59 pm 

For what it's worth here is a description of the Tormat type of memory used by Seeburg for their jukeboxes https://www.flippers.com/Seeburg-tormat.html . Interestingly Joernone on Youtube (badrestorer around here) is currently working on a Seeburg and has not yet achieved having it select records just yet.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:53 am 

I do have experience with the tormat type memory, however, the circuitry is a bit complex and difficult to diagnose by message, especially since the model is not known. If it is a Seeburg, they were pretty good about providing comprehensive data on their core memories. Get your hands on a complete repair manual. It has all kinds of diagrams, troubleshooting charts, and adjustment procedures. In addition, I strongly recommend replacing all capacitors in the selection unit, and checking all tubes and voltages on them. If yours is a hybrid (tube and solid-state), you'll need testers for both kinds of elements. Cheers, Russie Ofria

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 7:44 pm 

If the thing uses tubes the last time I worked on one of those about 30 years ago, replacing several high ohm resistors repaired the unit for me.