Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about a horn on a Victor VV-IX
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 8:10 am 

Hello, I'm delighted to say that I just came into a 1914 Victor VV-IX and I'm eager to get it up and running. The crank doesn't seem to be winding the motor, but that's another issue I'll be addressing soon. What I'm seeking help with is this:

Can I add a horn to this player and, if so, how?

I've searched as well as I could and I haven't found any text or pictures showing this model with a horn. I'm brand new to the world of antique phonographs and just don't know what's available or reasonably doable. I'd love the look of the horn on this machine. And, while I understand that the little cabinet below the deck was meant to replace the horn in terms of sound reproduction, I'd still love to have an antique horn on this machine.

Any advice? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Question about a horn on a Victor VV-IX
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 12:43 am 

advice = Leave it as -is and find you one that actually has an external horn.

It would be too Frankenphono to tr to make something that was not made that way,

The units with horns have different sound box/ support mechanisms. The model you have goes down into the box, the models with horns go straight back back into the horn and the horn is supported on the back of the machine.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 4:34 am 

The VV prefix in your model number indicates that this machine is a Victrola. The defining characteristic of Victrolas (all of them) is that the horn is hidden inside the cabinet, under the motorboard. It was never intended to use an external horn, which was characteristic of a different line of machines with a single V model prefix.

-David

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 8:55 pm 

Very helpful, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.