Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: need help retiming a vintage magnavox phonograph
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:19 pm 

I just recently picked up a gorgeous magnavox stereo phonograph model 1P3792. in a beautiful maple cabinet that looks brand new with not a scratch on it anywhere. shame they dont make furniture like this today.when I got it home and began checking it out I found the pots would hardly turn, the tuner knob was frozen from not being used in dont know how long, I removed the back and gave it a good inspection and then vacuumed it real clean, then I got my contact cleaner and cleaned all the pots and cleaned and lubricated the tuner to where it was free, the tuner is weighted so as to spin easily and freely. shows quality they just dont put in electronics today. I've got to replace the cartridge and needle so any suggestions would be appreciated. it has a ev 5097 cartridge in it now. I lifted up the phonograph out of its cabinet so as to inspect and clean, and found the grease was almost dried out, so I took q-tips and alcohol and gently removed as much grease as I could without taking it apart, and re-lubed the main aluminum gear with white lithium grease. I reattached the two plugs and set the phono back into place. now when I turn the phono on and put it thru its cycles it cycles and spins fine, but it has a faint click it didnt have before. upon examining it the clicking is from the white plastic gear touching the main spinning gear as it rotates and the white plastic gear touches the main gear where it lifts slightly and releases, that is the faint clicking I am hearing. I went to tv and radio repair school in 1976 and graduated in 1978 and seems like I remember that these old phonographs get out of time when they are messed with. its been so long I havnt got a clue the procedure in putting the gears back in time. Is there anybody that can help me with this. I didnt take anything apart but did rotate the gears backwords and forwards. it is a micromatic turntable and I believe model W821 there was three stickers on the bottom and I think it is a model W821. if this number is not correct I have the other labels info if anyone needs it.

Post subject: Re: need help retiming a vintage magnavox phonograph
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:46 pm 

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of Magnavox Console ownership.

Are you sure that your unit needs a new cartridge and not just a new stylus?? Either way you will find what you need at http://thevoiceofmusic.com

If you follow the link in my signature and sign up you will find all of the service data needed for your console including the manual for your record changer.

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:45 am 

I'm not clear what you mean by getting "out of time"---or getting the "gears back in time".

the typical changer runs the platter through one or more idler wheels and/or belts. A typical arrangement for a single-speed player would be a synchronous motor driving a "rubber tire" idler, which in turn drives the inside of the platter. With this arrangement, the speed is set by the line frequency and--depending on condition of parts and lubrication--the platter either turns or doesn't.

All that other stuff--gears and such--operate only during the change cycle.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:50 am 

Lot's of chatter out there for this model....
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnavox+W821

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:41 pm 

FWIW a few years back I bought a belt drive Dual TT that had been squashed. I put it all back together and replaced the damaged parts. When it came time to lube/grease I worked hard at finding the exact manufacture lube to do the job. Then I simply ignored the step by step document I had, figuring I knew better, and smeared that stuff wherever I could see two parts sliding by one another. I guess I'm not the first old maintenance technician to do that. It was a big mistake. The lube had sufficient body to drag parts along during the changing process that were supposed to slide by each other, not carry each other along. The shut-off slide would return about 75% and it too ticked a bit as the platter rotated.
I went back in with my Q-tips and alcohol and slowly undid what I had done.
It works pretty well now, but even given my re-cleaning about 1 time out of every 10 or 15 cycles it won't shut off. I have to manually cycle off to get results.
No idea if this applies to your problem or not, but 1+ to Ken and Mark, if you didn't mess with the gearing, only cycled them through the change cycle, nothing should be out of time. It's a fix changing cycle and as long as all the springs and bits are where they should be, manually cycling the gear will not damage or take it out of time.

Good luck. My Maggies are all older than yours but I love the sound, some of the best I have.

Tomie

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 11:48 pm 

I still have a Magnavox turntable model W833 that goes with my model 1500 receiver. I still use the receiver but acquired a different turntable that is hooked to it now but I believe my original Magnavox turntable has the same problem you describe. I believe the 800 series changers are all very similar in construction and operation. If I'm not mistaken this problem may have happened for me when I by accident turned the platter in the opposite direction to normal travel because of hardened grease to see if I could cycle it manually. Sounds like you may have done this as well. Anyway if you look underneath the turntable see if the large metal gear has a small flat in one area. On mine within the flat there is small metal tab maybe 1/8" wide that protrudes from underneath the gear in that flat spot. The plastic gear has a slot in it that this pin should drop into as it comes around during rotation. If the pin doesn't hit that slot because the gears are out of place it will hit a tooth instead on the plastic gear and that will cause the assembly to jump with a click. The plastic gear has a E clip on it so can be removed turned and reinstalled. But I don't know if you can do that easily without even further disassembly.

Only reason I haven't repaired mine yet is because I've never liked working on mechanical stuff much and I also just don't need it currently. During my time in the repair shop I was fortunate the other tech loved working on turntables so I always gladly deferred the turntable work to him.