Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 1:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg horseshoe magnet cartridge help
PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 5:53 am 

Hi all,
I'm rebuilding a jukebox cartridge, and have a few questions.. (I know I could send it out, but I'd rather not) Its from a 1940 Seeburg. There's an "EF" stamped on the back of the cartridge.... not sure if that helps.

1) The magnet is pretty much dead. Anyone have a process to re magnetize it? I've searched online, a lot of options, but none specifically for this size magnet.

There is a "C" stamped on one side. Does that relate to North or South?

2) Secondly, the coil is open. I measured the wire to be .001 I have some #40 wire, which measures at .002, would that work ok?

I have the new rubber parts, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for any comments.

Post subject: Re: Seeburg horseshoe magnet cartridge help
PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 4:04 pm 

if your wire is twice the diameter, youll only get about 1/4 the amount of turns in the same space. thats a HUGE difference and youll get very low output.

Post subject: Re: Seeburg horseshoe magnet cartridge help
PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 4:47 am 

Thanks Olorin67, I ordered some #46 magnet wire, (found a chart online with wire measurements).

I successfully recharged my magnet. Found a great article on the web. While I didn't follow his plans, I loosely copied it, and it worked great.

https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/equip ... et-charger

I used a couple of empty plastic wire spools, some spare wire I had on hand, and some scrap steel. Welded the cores to the base, wound six layers of wire on each of the spools, and that's about it. For power, I used an old style car battery charger - on the 12v setting, It was reading between 5-6 amps. At some point I may fancy it up a little, but it did the job at hand.

With this problem out of the way, time to move on to rewinding the coil. :D