Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 28, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on the RCA 1967 Victor TV Console The Brandywine
PostPosted: Feb Fri 19, 2010 7:25 pm 

:D Update on the RCA Brandywine Console Television I got in the Summer of 2006; she is still going strong. She is a very lovely and is a very large solid cherry or antiqued Maple RCA 1967 or 1968 Victor Television Console with a build in turntable and AM & FM Stereo System. I have been told that it is a Mark I Deluxe Home Entertainment Center HH-852 (The Brandywine). with scalloped gallery and bracket feet; this is a Colonial lowboy with an authentic replica Federal Period Design. She is Antiqued Colonial Maple on selected hardwoods. It is made with selected hardwoods, and lids and top veneers are on reinforced wood fiber. I really need to put her somewhere special so I can play my records and use the radio both the turntable and radio lids are now covered by two other consoles. So much to save so little time and space. Does anyone have a model like this and have any history on the consoles made by RCA of this time period?
I would hope that there are more like her being saved. If you have one please post a photo :idea: !
She has a beautiful control panel that is very nice
The CRT has a fine matt finish to to glass surface.
They just do not make them like this anymore, so we must save them!
.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 1:35 am 

Thats a nice looking set. What chassis does it use? Is it the tube chassis with a 6je6 for hor out? They were great sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 3:10 am 

:D Hi andreatanic,
Thank you for giving her a complement, she is sweet.
I not sure if it is a CTC40 chassis seems like a CTC-21 chassis in it. So I'm guessing it's a CTC21 or 25 that were similar to the CTC15, & 17...etc. She is loaded with vacuum tubes, I do remember the Sams Index lists the TV chassis for this set and the CTC21 as being in Photofact set 881 folder #3. Defiantly RCAs premium chassis of the era. I have so many consoles I been saving I really must take better care of my records. You got me on the horizontal output flyback current etc. I am clueless about it as well. If I every get those consoles off of her I will get a complete record of her chassis :oops:
Check out this beauty from 1960.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 4:20 am 

Hi Glen. If the chassis has tubes it is probably a ctc 25. In any event the ctc 15 through the 25 were great sets. I think you mis understood me on the 6je6 hor out. What I was getting at is if was a tube set or not. It is definately not a ctc 40. They were all solid state and not one of my favorate chassis. You can keep your set going for another 40 years. They were one hell of a good set. I would be on the lookout for a flyback though. They are getting harder to find and I replaced many of them especially in the summer when the humidity got high. It would be good to have a spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 6:23 am 

I know this is a TV based thread, but I wanted to mention something about cabinet styles here.

While it's clearly evident that Glenn's console is early american, my parents had this RCA Victor stereo from 1963.... in French Provincial cherry.
Notice the curvature of the carvings compared to Glenn's console.... similar, exact really.

And that console was solid wood too!.... heavy as a truck!
But ya know, the sound quality was awesome and it kicked butt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 11:12 am 

I have the same model set. It was purchased by my parents one month before I was born in 1967. It has been in the family ever since and is really part of the family.

It is definitely a CTC-21 chassis and has an awesome sounding stereo to boot, especially for a solid state stereo. It has those funky 15" oval subs, as well as 5x7 mid and a pair of 2 or 3" tweets on each side.

On the cabinet style, the Brandywine is indeed Early American design and NOT French Provencial as the console stereo shown. The two period designs are similar in some of the design but Early American DEFINITELY shows the Federal influence.

I had picked up a brochure featuring the Brandywine on the cover. Really cool to see all the sets offered from that era.

Ahh, the power of tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2010 11:02 pm 

Hi Glenn, nice set that you have there. Your set has the ctc 21 ac, or ad chassis, and is the up graded version of the ctc 17 chassis, tracing its roots back to the ctc 12. The changes were solid state audio circuitry, consisting of a sound chip, driver transistor,and a output transistor mounted on a aluminum heat sink on the sound printed circuit board, and a automatic frequency control sub chassis, mounted near the IF printed circuit board , and possibley some other changes, that Iam not aware of. The ctc 21 came out in the latter part of 1966 , for the 67 model year. the ctc 25 ,also had the same audio circuitry, except the latter chassis reverting back to the tube audio circuits, due to on going problems with the solid state audio. Other color sets using the Brandywine name, were the ctc 7n,and p and the ctc 15j,k,and n chassis. I hope this helps you in your useage and enjoyment of this fine instrument. Chuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Mon 22, 2010 6:29 pm 

:D Thank you andreatanic for the information.
I noticed that since I past 50 I have had a problem understand a lot of stuff<LOL>
WOW RepairTech,
That is a nice RCA stereo, I love the design.
That is a wonderful Ad, thank you RCAkid, it was a awesome time back in the 1960’s when designers worked so hard on making masterpieces out of console televisions and stereos.
Thank you ctc 24 for the great information.
Check out this RCA console from 1955. I notice they like to have a beautiful woman next to their consoles in most of their television Ads from this era. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 23, 2010 1:38 am 

Certainly, they've always seemed to put a woman, or a couple, in the advertizing..

The "Human Factor" helps market a product.. Designed to make you think "you" should have one too.

But in reality, how many men dress in tux's, and woman in ball gowns, and listen to music/watch tv?

I enjoy a good drink and sit NAKED on the couch listening to my Patsy Cline records.

I mean, come on, isn't that what it's all about?

HAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 23, 2010 9:22 pm 

:D Amen RepairTech!
I have always wondered what Curtis Mathes was trying to say with this Ad :?:
That is one tall ghost like specter of a lady. She is at least fourteen feet tall. I sure would not want to be sitting naked listening to Patsy Cline in my living room when that Amazon popped up from behind the console. :lol:
I know bigger is better was a trade mark in console design for Curtis Mathes but she is very intimidating to most men that I know. I think most basketball players have smaller feet than that image. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 24, 2010 2:37 am 

Glenn Waters wrote:
:D Amen RepairTech!
I have always wondered what Curtis Mathes was trying to say with this Ad :?:
That is one tall ghost like specter of a lady. She is at least fourteen feet tall. I sure would not want to be sitting naked listening to Patsy Cline in my living room when that Amazon popped up from behind the console. :lol:
I know bigger is better was a trade mark in console design for Curtis Mathes but she is very intimidating to most men that I know. I think most basketball players have smaller feet than that image. :!:

Well, ya know Glenn, wern't CM based in Texas?
They do things BIG down there. :D

Post subject: Re: Update on the RCA 1967 Victor TV Console The Brandywine
PostPosted: Nov Fri 21, 2014 7:01 pm 

I just found this RCA 1967 Victor TV Console The Brandywine on craigslist for free. I picked it up the previous owner ripped out the tv to install an new flat screen and gave up. I picked it up with the hopes of fixing what he tore out minus the TV. I plugged it in and the radio and record player turn on. But no sound comes out the back wall was removed and destroyed I only assume it is RCA 1967 Victor TV Console The Brandywine from the pictures you posted. Does any one have information on this system? Like schematics to help with the repair? He also ripped the niddle head off. I am total new to electronics and repair, I just love the look of it. Thanks

PostPosted: Nov Sat 22, 2014 2:49 am 

You might want to start your own thread on it. This one is 5 years old and neither of the posters are active here anymore. RT is gone and haven't heard much for Glenn for a long time.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 24, 2014 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the advice I just made a new one