Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 25, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coto Company , Prov. RI
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 2:18 pm 

I thought I would share some New England items:

Coto Company "Coto-coil" manufactured in the 1920's in Rhode Island.
They made a variety of well crafted and unique radio parts as well as at least one radio.

The first item is either a Coto tuner, or a tuner constructed of Coto parts. The tuning knobs have Cotoco molded into the centers and the outer stator aluminum plate is engaved the same.

Last edited by grid-leak on Feb Sat 20, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 2:29 pm 

The Coto metal UV tube socket.

Not only does the metal construction make it unique, note the Z shape retainer slot. The tube gets pushed down and turned clockwise then backed off counter clockwise.

The tube would have to travel through a maze to fall out of this socket !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 2:34 pm 

The Coto Audio Interstage Transformer.
Type 4500 "Special" again a well crafted unit. Lugs have round stamped markers for terminal indentification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 2:39 pm 

The Coto Type 5000 RF amplifying transformer.
Has internal 6 position tap switch. Their construction makes it possible to be ganged for a one knob adjustment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 6:56 pm 

Hi "Grid" - - - I hadn't noticed the PM, but then I seldom seem to see them when a new one is posted. I'll check in on
it today.

Now I know what a complete Coto Coil transformer looks like (beyond those depicted in early advertising drawings and
photos).

I have a shell for one of these units that's been lurking around here in various boxes for a very long time. Here are a few
photos of the device so folks can see what is (or isn't) inside:

Curiously, the unit I have does not show any provisions for the "tapped" internal coils, rather it seems to have been a
rotary control of some sort with (maybe) a single "stop" installed.

Additionally the end plate on my unit was (apparently) secured to the shell by some method other than the one used on
your device - - - that being small rivets or screws through the periphery of the device's shell:

A peek at the wee beastie's internals also does not indicate any evidence of a "tapped" coil structure:

Another thought/observation:

Somewhere around here I have a pair of small tube sockets for "99" tubes that feature the same physical construction
as the "Coto" socket(s) - - - but - - - if memory serves, the two sockets I have are marked "Walnart."

Could be one company was a source for the other for tube sockets.

Homebrewed, Kit, or "Factory" - - - I really like the little tuning unit - - and I can easily read "CoToCo" on the
knobs, but for the life of me I can't see either CoTo or CoToCo on the tuning condensers. Can you help me out
here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2010 9:32 pm 

Quote:
for the life of me I can't see either CoTo or CoToCo on the tuning condensers. Can you help me out
here?

Never mind - - now I see the "CoToCo." The first "C" was eluding me till I took a break and came back to it with fresh eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2010 4:03 am 

As reported in the June 1968 AWA Old Timers Bulletin, after Roland Matson had inquired about honeycomb coils: "We made some on special orders a couple years ago to fill requirements for VLF receivers. The orders were filled and they are no longer available."

Previously, in the Spring 1964 issue:

"...the first machine to wind these tricky coils was developed by the Universal Winding Co. of Providence, RI which later became the Leesona Corp. (it) was developed to wind yarn in a self-supporting criss-cross pattern not requiring ends on the spools.

"It so happened that this self-supporting feature (Leesona patent) lent itself just fine for the high inductive coils so popular 40 years ago and Universal started the "Coto-Coil Co." just for their manufacture.

"Coto-Coil is still in business (no longer a subsidiary of Leesona) and now making coils if all kinds for the radio and electrical industry. I worked for this organization for 26 years until retirement."

Ed Cummings ex-1WP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2010 4:17 am 

I had 15 of those Lessona (Lesson) winders with all that textile gear. The winders were primarily for thread but could handle wire by changing out certain ceramic thread guides for pulleys. The eccentric cam was within the body of the winder and guided the product onto either a bobbin or a coil former. the cam drive was accomplished via a gear box timed to the spindle. A flat belt drive via a split puller allowed slight changed in cam stroke vs. spindle speed thus it was known as a "gainer" system. The narrower the cam the thinner the width of the coil. I had cams from 1" to 6", obviously , the 6" was for braider machine bobbins...

Lessona winders are still being re-built and traded in the world-wide textile machinery market.

FWIW - The wire was wax coated so it stayed in place while winding.

Chas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2010 1:48 pm 

Dale
You are looking at the rear end plate.The taps are on your missing front plate.

This transformer has only 2 leads(one on the front and one on the rear , like a tapped choke.
How do they call it a transformer ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2010 3:57 pm 

Quote:
You are looking at the rear end plate.The taps are on your missing front plate.

Ahhh, OK; I had looked at the long end of the mounting bracket and came to a wrong conclusion - - - most likely the thing has had the end-plate stuffed in the opposite end of the housing at some point.

Quote:
This transformer has only 2 leads (one on the front and one on the rear , like a tapped choke.
How do they call it a transformer ?

Autoformer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2010 7:33 pm 

I'd love to see one of these in a circuit. Perhaps the tapped coil goes in the plate circuit and gets capacitor coupled to the next stage ???

-Joe W

Post subject: Re: Coto Company , Prov. RI
PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2015 2:41 am 

Great items. Would it be possible to use them on my website dedicated to radios made in Rhode Island? This is the webpage they would be on. I would of course give you full credit and a link.

http://61thriftpower.com/riradio/coto.shtml

Thanks
Len

Post subject: Re: Coto Company , Prov. RI
PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2015 12:24 am 

This one is in my junkbox.

Attachments:
coto.jpg
coto.jpg [ 84.96 KiB | Viewed 2337 times ]