Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 23, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharp Vertical Turntable Plays Both Sides.
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2010 1:30 am 

In my warehouse I have a sharp turntable I received from a physician friend who said he never used it and I put it away some
12 years back. I ran across it in its clear plastic bag and remembered that I was told it had two tone arms and you could advance record tracks somewhat like a CD player. Does this ring a bell with anyone out there. I have no paperwork with the unit.
I can see that the LP is inserted vertically into a slot.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2010 3:55 am 

Hmm, I dont recall a Sharp having twin tonearms, but AFAIK, all their vertical turntables with linear tracking could be advanced like a CD, right from their introduction in the early 80's.
It'd be very interesting to know the model number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2010 8:38 pm 

Yep ... Sharp made a HUGE boombox with a player like that . The front door tips outward a bit , you stand the record up in it & shut it . It played both sides .

I suppose they could have made a separate turntable but i have not seen that .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2010 9:05 pm 

Hi,

Yep, vertical, 2-sided play: Sharp sold this turntable in several configurations: The most basic one it sounds like you have, was a Sharp RP-114h (a.k.a. RP-114) stand-alone vertical turntable, as shown here:

Youtube vid demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBXjrS_Rls

Other incarnations, as Ken G said, were the Sharp VZ-2000 and VZ-2500 ghetto blasters: (now THAT paints a picture of someone walking with this on their shoulder, record skipping...)

and the Sharp VZ-3000 and VZ-3500 integrated entertainment systems:

Not sure from your post what info you're looking for - resale value, or restoration info.

Here's the page for that turntable on Vinylengine, with the specifications, including the fact that it has a visual track search mechanism to find songs: Also has the owner's manual for download once you register as a user (free), which should have year of manufacture (early to mid '80s):

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sharp-optonica/rp-114h.shtml

Searching eBay would be your best source for value; general Google searches of the above model numbers yields various service & parts info.

Regards,
- Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2010 11:43 pm 

Gentlemen: You have rendered a great deal more info than I had at posting time . . .thanks. The next time I am fighting the rats over at my warehouse I shall unwrap the turntable and at least get a model number for reference purposes. Thanks again. Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2010 4:22 am 

reminds me of the higher end laserdisc players pioneer made that played both sides without you having to flip the movie.