Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 20, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Admiral Console Stereo/Record Player
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:19 pm 

Guys I could use some help. I found this old Admiral Console Stereo Record Player probably from '53-'55 in a storage garage we are currently cleaning. The owner didn't know anything about it so I did a little research and figured out what I know so far. Its been in storage for 40 years without being touched. Whats something like this worth? All fabric, buttons and major pieces are in tact. The wood has some minor scratches but is in pretty good condition. The Owner wants $50 bucks. Is this a deal or are these console a pretty typical piece. Lets just say non of the electronics work since I have no way to tell. Whats it worth?

Thanks,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:49 pm 

The cabinet looks kind of rough to me. He would be lucky to give it away really. Don't mean to sound so negative but these are really hard to give away let along get $50 for it. Save your money for a nicer console radio like a Zenith or Philco without the record player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:55 pm 

Thanks Lou for the honesty. I really didn't have any idea what its worth. I'm glad I found this site before making a blind purchase. I welcome anyone else's opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 11:06 pm 

For the record it's not "stereo" and appears to play only 78s, Probably from ~1948. I'm a sucker for such forlorn beasts. If it was local, I might go as high as $20. That's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 11:21 pm 

I'd go for it.$50 is cheap compaired to what i paid for some of mine.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 1:40 am 

Looks similar to a 7C65W 7 tube I believe with 2 6K6GT from 1948. I had one, used it for extra bench. I had to dump it. Needed space. Took what I could for parts, even the grille cloth to use on smaller radios.

Bill J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 1:52 am 

Depends what your intentions are for this. I spend wisely and $15.00 for this would be against my better judgement. Find something without a record player. These combos are the least sort after. JMO :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 1:56 am 

Those used an unusual phono cartridge that you can't get anymore and the one in there can't usually be repaired either..... It used a conductive rubber element that typically has deteriorated and will soon fail (if it already hasn't).....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 3:51 am 

IMHO, a POS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 4:00 pm 

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input. I'll let this one pass unless I really need an over size paper weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 8:02 pm 

Well I have lurked long enough and heard too much of the "Isn't worth anything because it is a console, or it has a phonograph".
Fact is, many folks like me, who enjoy listening to an old radio, also have old record they like listening to. No, the sound quality isn't there like a CD, but the old radio thing doesn't always dictate perfect sound quality.
So many of these cabinets are beautiful, so much craftsmanship went into them. You are right, they can't give these things away many times...which is good for the folks that appreciate them. I have several consoles that others would refer to as a "POS", but they have so much detail and character, not to mention the fact it is a good thing everyone doesn't like the same exact thing!
Zenith wasn't the only radio company that made nice, classy radios.
Personally, I love sitting by any one of my big dinosaur consoles listening to an old 78, or the radio. The rich woods and tone quality sets me back...and I like it!
Kind of funny though, many of the antiques today that are worth a mint are the one's that everyone tossed years ago.
It isn't always about money folks.
<Stepping of the soap box!>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 9:01 pm 

Ricko wrote:
Well I have lurked long enough and heard too much of the "Isn't worth anything because it is a console, or it has a phonograph".
Fact is, many folks like me, who enjoy listening to an old radio, also have old record they like listening to. No, the sound quality isn't there like a CD, but the old radio thing doesn't always dictate perfect sound quality.
So many of these cabinets are beautiful, so much craftsmanship went into them. You are right, they can't give these things away many times...which is good for the folks that appreciate them. I have several consoles that others would refer to as a "POS", but they have so much detail and character, not to mention the fact it is a good thing everyone doesn't like the same exact thing!
Personally, I love sitting by any one of my big dinosaur consoles listening to an old 78, or the radio. The rich woods and tone quality sets me back...and I like it!
Kind of funny though, many of the antiques today that are worth a mint are the one's that everyone tossed years ago.

I have to agree.I have 4 of there large radio/phono consoles and a huge radio/tv/phono combo.These are some of my faveorite radios.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 9:30 pm 

Mthorn and Ricko,

Welcome aboard. I'd pay $25 myself, that's me. It's worth what you feel is worth. If I didn't live in an apt. I'd probably get it.

Hopefully both of you will stay around, were a fun crowd!!

http://mainehack.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 12:00 am 

Oh I will always be here! I love the group and the knowledge I have gained I could get nowhere else. This is one of the best boards on the net in my opinion. Just sometimes you can get such enjoyment and pleasure out of a 25 or so dollar console. My grandfather always had the big consoles, if I had more room....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 1:09 am 

GuitarGuyNack wrote:
Ricko wrote:

I have to agree.I have 4 of there large radio/phono consoles and a huge radio/tv/phono combo.These are some of my faveorite radios.

Nick

Ok, I'll join in as well. I like radio/phonograph sets too. Especially the earlier ones. Perhaps it is the sheer size of the combos that turn people off? Just not enough room for them? I'm not sure. Granted, many of the 1940's "Side-by-Side" models weren't all that attractive in styling, but they are often good performers. Such as the Crosley 148CR I have. It's a 14 tube beast with plenty of audio power! :D

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 1:29 am 

Let me say that the main concern for most of us is space. You wind up refining your collection due to size and what you really like. The record player in these old units was really tough on records with a very heavy tone arm and would play only 78's. You could upgrade it with a more modern TT that will play 45 and 33 stereo with a mono output. But that cabinet looked to have some real deep scratches, if it was in mint condition it would be another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 1:59 am 

That's a 7C73, from around 1947-48. It's a decent performer when redone; one of the members here is working on one right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 4:58 am 

I would go for it. My 7C63 which has the same record player is a great performer. Mine was this awful green and i got it from a close friend's garage where he has had it since he was a kid.

Im also a sucker for a cheap console radio, like others have said, its got character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 5:19 am 

I must add that if you replace that rubber variable-resistance cartridge with something later, the polarizing voltage will have to be disconnected to avoid damaging the replacement cartridge.

That set has an unusual slug-tuned front end, with a grounded-grid RF amplifier for the FM section. I had the chassis of one of those, 40+ years ago.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next