Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 30, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: old Sunbeam toaster
PostPosted: Mar Sun 13, 2011 6:19 pm 

Did not want to hijack the other toaster thread but what did you call the one that sunbeam made in the 50 and early 60s. You could drop bread in, watch it go down and slowly come up without touching anything, very quiet. It had a part that had to be replaced from time to time. You had to drill out a pop rivet and replace, then it was good as new. Seemed like great toasters and were not cheap. Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 13, 2011 8:49 pm 

Here is a link about those toasters. I've got a T-48 made in the 1990's that I use daily. It has 2 adjustment screws and once those are correct it works great. It has heating elements that you cannot break with a fork. I also have 2 older ones that I haven't cleaned up yet. I think one is from the 1950's and one is from the 60's. Great toasters!
Bob

http://www.automaticbeyondbelief.org/gallery.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 13, 2011 10:06 pm 

Bill:

This long-lived line of toasters is known generically as the "T-20" toaster, for the first model number in the series. The T-20 was introduced in April of 1949, and was produced - with changes in both the toaster and the model number - until the 1990's.

They are, as has been said, about the finest automatic toaster ever produced, and the page link you've been given is The Source for info. You won't regret buying one.

"I Miss Civilization, Don't You?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 14, 2011 12:26 am 

You're best bet is a T-20B. The T-20A's were short-lived befored the "B" version came about. The "C" version has a temperature control slider as apposed to the "knob" found on the A and B versions. The "C" has quite a bit of asbestos wiring inside, where the A (I'm assuming on the "A") and B only had 1 wire. I removed it from my B version (made in 1953) and installed modern hi-temp appliance wiring. After a thorough cleaning, and polishing, and removing the cloth line cord and installed a modern HPN (hi temp heater line cord) my T-20B has been a great kitchen appliance for the past nearly 10 years.