Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 30, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio ID please, Musicaire I believe?
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 5:43 am 

Hello -

While trying to find out information about the antique console radio I bought yesterday, this site and its posts kept coming up while Googling. So I'm hoping you all may be able to help :)

The front of the radio says "Musicaire," but I have seen that this isn't necessarily the manufacturer. So I also took a photo of the label inside with the model number. I'd like to find a schematic or manual or something to help me in trying to restore it. It's a beautiful looking radio.

Thanks in advance!

The full radio at a distance

Close-up of the dial.

Picture of the tubes (seems like it is missing 2) on the back.

Photo of the label inside. It says "Model 571CB"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 6:04 am 

Well first of all it's a DC operated farm battery radio, but the label says that. I can't tell you who manufactured that one but the Musicaire I have was manufactured by Sentinel Radio and Television in Chicago. Musicaire was the private label brand of the Coast To Coast chain of stores. It's hard to say but it looks like someone made a mediocre attempt to refinish that cabinet as the solid wood parts are all blond, there is also some faux wood graining at the top that has a resemblance to mac tack though it may be original. It was never a high end radio even for a battery set, one band and four tubes.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 6:24 am 

Welcome to the forum. no help, but nice lookin' set ! ..... Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 9:28 am 

Considering the cabinet design and the tubes used, it's probably from the 1939-42 model years, although it might also have been made for the 1946 model year.

Yes, there are two tubes missing. The one on the left side of the chassis is probably a 1A7GT. The one on the right is the audio output tube, most likely a 1A5GT or a 3Q5GT. (Types 1C5GT and 1Q5GT are also possible.)

The tubes included are probably a 1N5GT (the Hytron brand tube in the back) and a 1H5GT (which looks like it may be a General Electric tube).

To the left of the 1N5GT is an IF transformer with a wire that has a metal clip at the end. This connects to the top cap of the 1N5GT. There should also be a similar wire and clip emerging from the chassis near the 1H5GT which is meant to connect to the top cap of that tube. There is probably a third such wire and clip connected to the bare coil located in the front corner near the 1A7GT socket. This will clip to the 1A7GT when it is installed. The audio output tube has no top cap.

The bad news for you is that this tube lineup was extremely common from 1939 until about 1950, so it may take a while to sift through all the possible models to find a match.

BTW, this chassis was designed to be used in a small table model. You can tell because of the slot cut out of the front of the chassis to the right of the dial. A 5-inch or 6-inch speaker would have been mounted there.

Last edited by Steven in Oregon on Mar Tue 29, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 10:09 am 

it looks like a sentinel model 175b chassis i have.i would try nostalgiaair.org under sentinel and see if this chassis matches yours.butch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 2:06 pm 

That’s a typical farm battery radio from a time period when most of rural America wasn't electrified. Many farmers couldn't afford to spend much on a radio and a simple 4 tube radio, such as this, was all they really needed. Because the farm radio market was limited in many ways, manufacturers and dealers usually didn't put much emphasis in the audio performance or in stylish bells and whistles. I suspect the original owners of that radio probably lived on a modest sized farm.

You'll need to get an ARBE III power supply in order to get that set up and running.

http://www.arbeiii.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2011 6:42 pm 

you can also power it with a few d cell batteries in parallel and 10 9 v. batteries in series or build a simple a b power supply for which there are plans here and other places on the net.these are simple sets with few problems although this one looks like some of the grid cap connectors are missing i can't really tell from the pic.the only thing to be careful of is hooking up the 1 1/2 and 90 v. connections if you get 90 volts on the tube filaments they will instantly burn out and if you get the + and - reversed the set won't work.the other thing is these need some sort of ant. usually a 10 ft piece of wire works but the longer the wire the better.butch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2011 1:07 am 

Hi, Your Radio is made by Sentinel Radio Corp. And I am restoring that very same set..Only mine is the table model. My dial face is exactly like yours, and yes it's a Battery set, a 1 1/2 V filiment and 90Volt. This is a very simple set to work on and a good set for beginner radio restorers.
The tube line up is..1A7G Osc-Mod..1N5G I.F..1H5G Det-AVC-AF
1A5 Power, be sure to use shield on the 1N5.
The cabinet I have is in very bad condition..Veneer very bad and coming loose. If any one here on the forum has that little Musicaire
emblem I would love to have one, or even a close up pix.
I just started to work on the chassis today..It cleaned up real nice!
Navel Jelly and scotch bright and elbow greese done the job!
If you need any help on your set PM me.
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2011 7:45 pm 

Wow, I come back a day later and see many replies! Thank you all so much for your help! I will definitely keep the board posted as I attempt to work on this radio. I've never done any work with antique radios, so I am looking at several resources online, along with talking to my godfather who has refurbished several radios, to see what I can learn, or learn if something is beyond my capabilities.

Thanks again!
Samantha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2011 3:17 am 

these battery sets are pretty simple to work on. i have a couple i run off of 9 volt batteries in series to supply the b voltage, and a couple d cells for the filament voltage. the batteries actually last a fair amount of time, and with a good antenna, they are usually pretty selective............... best wishes........... carl