Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 19, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uploading photos to a post
PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2011 3:59 am 

It looks like I need to learn a lot before trying to add pictures or even create a post.

Would someone please direct me to the frequently asked questions about forums?
For example:
My guess is that "photobucket" is another site somewhere.
What is BBC code?
My guess is that "PM" might mean post message, but where and how to access it?

My email is w5tht@arrl.net.
Please delete this after answering.
thank you
Pat Hamel

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2011 5:36 am 

Right up at the left of this page in the first gray stripe is a link labeled FAQ. That will answer most questions. Upper right in the stripe is a link in parentheses (0 new messages). That is for Private Messages (PM). Yes, photobucket is one of several photo hosting sites you can link to, but you can also directly upload pictures from on your own computer using this new format.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 12, 2011 5:01 am 

I'm trying to post a pic. I'm having a hard time. I don't know why. Here's what I did. I uploaded the pic to the photo gallery. I created a post and selected the "img" button. With the cursor flashing between the "img" I hit control v. When I post I get a red box with an "x". What in Sam Hill am I doing wrong? I tried leaving out the html and the end of the URL but same result. :cry:

PostPosted: Aug Fri 12, 2011 5:12 am 
Site Admin

You need to get the URL of the image and not the page it resides on. Leaving off the .html suffix doesn't give you a path to the picture, hence the missing image icon showing up.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 12, 2011 5:42 am 

I simply click on a photo off a site, "properties", then highlight it, and "copy".
Then place that in between those cute little "img" brackets. :wink:

PostPosted: Aug Fri 12, 2011 6:12 am 

Alan

I tried posting a pic from an item I won on ebay. I tried the "properties" route as mentioned above and that will not work either. I am completely confused. What do you do if you take a pic with a camera. That does not have a URL?
Help, help :x

I just figured it out. I clicked on the pic in the gallery and opened properties and used the url there. There is s God! :D

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2011 1:11 am 

I'm lost....I try to add a photo to a post and no amount of cropping seems to be enough. The upload always fails because it's too big. Any advice?

mike Thanks

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2011 12:44 pm 

aa8rv wrote:
I'm lost....I try to add a photo to a post and no amount of cropping seems to be enough. The upload always fails because it's too big. Any advice?

Have you tried to "re-size" rather than crop the photo? When you re-size, the entire picture gets smaller and you don't lose parts of the picture like you do when you crop.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2011 5:12 pm 

I use a Kodak software that goes with the camera and not sure if I can resize but I'll check it out. Thanks.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 15, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

There is image size, the number of pixels high and wide an image is and file size, the number of bytes the file uses. There are upper limits on both.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2011 2:49 am 

The best tool I have ever used is PhotoResize which is freeware. It puts an icon on your desktop with the name "photoresize800.exe". The 800 indicates how many pixels wide the of the copies created. You can rename the icon, changing the number to 400 for 400 pixels wide, etc. The beauty is that you selects several pictures, drag them over the icon and drop them. A dos window opens and it creates copies with the original name with -800 or whatever the width is. The originals remain but are still highlighted so you can hit delete if you want to dump them. It is VERY simple to use and understand. Link to the download site, just make sure you download the freeware and not one of the ads:
[url]
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize[/url]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2011 7:44 pm 

I tried that file resizer program and it works sweet. Now if I could only post pics. I posted pictures before by uploading to the gallery. Alas, I can no longer see a gallery button when I try to create a post. The FAQ as far as I can tell does not say how one adds images in the new way, nor have I seen anyone say exactly what this new way is. I reckon that's it, down below this window, where it says "browse. . ." I'll give it a try.

"What does matter is the size of your heart and the strength of your character."
--Herman Munster

In a short time we may speak of three or six crystal sets, the same as we speak now of a three or six tube set.
-- Hugo Gernsback, 1924

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 12:06 am 

Can photos be uploaded from your local PC drive? Most all sites have this feature.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Yes. It's below the text input window when you compose your message.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 1:08 pm 

The photo uploader is called "Upload attachment".

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Wed 31, 2011 12:51 am 

Don Cavey wrote:
Let me post a picture of my Corvair.

It still works as it did before. I use the "[img]...[/img]" tag and type it manually. Works every time (as long as I don't Fat Finger it :mrgreen: )

If you use the "Quote" function, you can see exactly what was in the thread that posted the picture.

I love your Corvair. I have 2 '65 convertable parts/project cars.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 26, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hi all: I would love to post photos to this forum as I have ancient phonos ,radios and TV. I am very computer illiterate. I have have managed to take digital photos and E-mail them and post to several other forums on a regular basis. The forums I post on have an attachment icon that I click on and that brings me magically to my directory where I can click on my all ready resized photos and they magically appear in my post edit. I have spent countless hours attempting to post on this forum using the instructions I can find. Help!!!!! Can someone please explain in simple language how to post a photo. Thank you. Mike...

PostPosted: Sep Mon 26, 2011 4:33 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
There is image size, the number of pixels high and wide an image is and file size, the number of bytes the file uses. There are upper limits on both.

Alan, can you please tell us again what those upper limits are. I seem to remember that they were changed somewhat (up or down?) during the transition but can't remember the final figures. Also, what is the limit on the number of pictures that can be attached in any given post?

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Mon 26, 2011 5:37 pm 

Radiola wrote:
Help!!!!! Can someone please explain in simple language how to post a photo.

I will assume you already know how to find the files for your pictures on your computer. Underneath the forum message box you will see a red bar labeled "Upload attachment". Under the red bar there are two buttons. Click on the "Browse..." button. This will open a window on your screen where you can choose the picture . When after you select the picture, click "Open". The full filename will appear in the space to the left of the browse button. Then click on "Add the file". This will make another red bar appear labeled "Posted attachments". The file name for the picture appears in red just under the red bar. You can then go back and browse and add more pictures. You can also type comments if you wish in the boxes under the file names. You will see that there are now two "Submit" and two "Preview" buttons. They are redundant. Both let you either preview or submit the entire post. When you click Submit (or Preview) your picture should appear. Viola, it works!

Attachments:
GE SR's.jpg
GE SR's.jpg [ 43.3 KiB | Viewed 2891 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 26, 2011 6:47 pm 

Hi Dave: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Mike...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 165 posts ]  Moderator: pixellany Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next