Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 24, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses**
PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2012 8:02 pm 

DMR47 wrote:
My find is a Minerva Tropic Master 117. There are no serial numbers on it and thoughts are it is a civilian radio. The audio tubes are pair of 25L6's.
Needs some paint, caps and some tubes to start.

Dale

Those are COOL radios!!! There was a mint one for low bucks up here on Craigs back a month ago that was mislabeled. Called the seller and they said "nobody called, so now it's on FleaBay...". Checked the auction and it was way over the craigs peice - Bummed Me Out!!!

Would love to see your restoration and learn your thoughts on the value of the radio once you get going on it... 8)

It's coming: http://www.nortonics.org

PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2012 8:39 pm 

info on Spray Nine found here.
http://www.spraynine.com/

Much the same formula as automotive tire cleaners so use caution. It's somewhat caustic and a biatch if you breath it in. Wear a particulate mask and use in a well ventilated area if you've got respirator problems.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 12:57 am 

Finally found a hard copy. This is such a great book. I look forward to learning and the information hopefully sticking in my brain. Thanks Johnnysan.

Attachments:
elements.jpg
elements.jpg [ 123.52 KiB | Viewed 726 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 1:35 am 

Bruce:

The HQ-129 is more than a semi-serious SW receiver. It is a first-class set. Once you get it fixed up, I'm confident you will be quite pleased with its performance. You can get the manual on bama and there is a lot of information on the 'Net explaining how to restore these sets. They're especially good for BCB Dxing.

Enjoy it.

Joe Connor

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 2:04 am 

Few hours ago, went with Mrs. to take another look at a little gateleg table she
wanted. She got it and was so pleased she didn't even object when I picked up
this Philco 39-30 at a great price. Second radio I've picked up at this place hence
my willingness to go with her to look at the table. :lol: They have the best radio
prices in town.
Attachment:
39-30 Front edit.jpg
39-30 Front edit.jpg [ 98.74 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]

Attachment:
39-30 back edit.jpg
39-30 back edit.jpg [ 65.19 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]

The wood embellishments on the top and front are inlays, not paper, or I would
probably have passed on it. Looks like the e-caps have been subbed out, so
somebody's been in there. I think the pushbuttons will be the biggest challenge.
Nelson

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 2:06 am 

Nice find there radiopicker. Those are the kinds of things I would like to find. I fill my lunch hour reading electronics books such as that. Reading off my cell phone doesn't quiet cut it though. I like hard copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 2:27 am 

Thanks Bruce for the info on the spraynine. I will look into it.
As far as finds I picked up a book today. It was raining pretty good so I stopped at this junk store on the way home. I stop by every now and then to see what they have. I have never found a radio but I have other stuff. I was looking across the books and found one called the Golden age of broadcasting that was about NBCs history.
Its a nice book with a lot of pictures. I think if I find some in it that would be good to frame I will scan them and print out a copy to frame. I like books as well and this one was on the history of NBC. Now if I could get a chime set to go with it.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 4:10 am 

Joe Connor wrote:
Bruce:

The HQ-129 is more than a semi-serious SW receiver. It is a first-class set. Once you get it fixed up, I'm confident you will be quite pleased with its performance. You can get the manual on bama and there is a lot of information on the 'Net explaining how to restore these sets. They're especially good for BCB Dxing.

Enjoy it.

Joe Connor

Thanks Joe,

I'm probably quick to judge....I just thought a HQ180 and such was a more serious rig. No matter though...I'm real happy with the HQ-129X so far
With only some very basic checks I determined the HQ-129X seemed fit to fire up. Someone had been into the rig prior and (IIUC it orginally used black beauties) recapped using ceramic discs. I see there are also a couple of wax paper replacements i will change out once I get back inside.
I attached my 40ft longwire to it and thought i'd bought a dud until discovering this thing needs the sensativity cranked almost all the way up. I began discovering the different modes of pulling in signals. Every knob does it job but I haven't been able to pull in intellegable SSB using the BFO. There's a marked difference once the BFO is activated but no matter how delicately i tune the Beat Oscillator it's still garbled. I hope it doesn't require an operation like i saw in the video by Pete.

Here she is back together, pumping out Alex Jones on SW this afternoon.

Bruce Webster

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 10:34 am 

Nelson in Winnipeg wrote:
I think the pushbuttons will be the biggest challenge.

Love the radio - have a very similar model myself. You're in luck - $34 for 8 buttons:

http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html

Get your rubber chassis-mounts there too:

It's coming: http://www.nortonics.org

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 12:28 pm 

Bruce Webster wrote:
I began discovering the different modes of pulling in signals. Every knob does it job but I haven't been able to pull in intellegable SSB using the BFO. There's a marked difference once the BFO is activated but no matter how delicately i tune the Beat Oscillator it's still garbled.

With the 129X, like many radios of this vintage, AVC gets turned off when you turn the BFO on. Therefore, you need to adjust the sensitivity control to get clear SSB reception depending on the signal's strength. This often means that you'll need to have the volume control turned up while adjusting the volume of the different signals with the sensitivity control.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 3:27 pm 

Tom... thanks a bunch! I knew I'd seen those repro buttons somewhere!
Now you've saved me the hunt!
Nelson

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 6:32 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Bruce Webster wrote:
I began discovering the different modes of pulling in signals. Every knob does it job but I haven't been able to pull in intellegable SSB using the BFO. There's a marked difference once the BFO is activated but no matter how delicately i tune the Beat Oscillator it's still garbled.

With the 129X, like many radios of this vintage, AVC gets turned off when you turn the BFO on. Therefore, you need to adjust the sensitivity control to get clear SSB reception depending on the signal's strength. This often means that you'll need to have the volume control turned up while adjusting the volume of the different signals with the sensitivity control.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I happened to luck upon a clear SSB transmission this morning by twiddling both the BO and band spread. I suppose the sensativity just happened to be set correctly for good SSB reception. The Hams were speaking Spanish so I was right back to an unintellegable signal. :lol:

I'll fire her up again tonight and, with your sage advice, see if I can fine tune my SSB skills. It's great to know that everything on this HQ-129X is working satisfactory and was basicly plug and play.

Bruce Webster

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 12:00 am 

I like the black on white dial on these. Sure is different than their models that had the markings
on plastic (celluloid?) or glass.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 12:01 am 

450 78's for $50. Great condition all sleeved. Mostly pre 1950 releases and labels. Country and jazz. Great stuff. And not a one Swing and Sway w/ Sammy Kaye.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 12:57 am 

Went to the 70's today

2 brandnew bean bag chairs...I just took the plastic off...there was mouse poo...so I left the bags at the sale :lol:

RCA New Vista TV, have no idea if it has any value..thought it was cool...and yes I need to stop buying things that I think are cool
with remote...messed up rabbit ears of course

Yard Jarts

And a single Telefunken 2302 speaker

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 1:12 am 

Nice flamingos on the front lawn! :mrgreen:

We had green beanbag chairs back in the 80's. Not sure if I could try and sit in one today. Someone would have to help
me up!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 1:19 am 

johnS. wrote:
Nice flamingos on the front lawn! :mrgreen:

Those are authentic too...no cheap repos in this house :lol:

I hear it about the chairs, I still think they are comfy....but I usually have to roll out..

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 10:53 am 

Panasonic radio was trash picked ! ! !
And the Bogen Amp came in the mail and I did a recaps and repaint of the top, Nice little Amp ! !

Attachments:
panasonic.jpg
panasonic.jpg [ 47.29 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]
bogen.jpg
bogen.jpg [ 49.42 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 10:08 pm 

Well got some stuff, not a lot but a good find....PLUS!! the daughter of the owner, has a garage full of radios and tubes. She wants to reclaim the space, her brother wants to photograph them...and then get rid of them....guess who's got the lead :mrgreen:

Theres some cool stuff in the lot, I will have to update my blog, if I don't fall asleep at the computer. I found a small box of .22 rounds...some REALLY old ones...there is two containers of blanks, so I have been having fun with them :D Got the steam engine going too. Of course when/if I get the radios I will need to find some where to put them all.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 10:50 pm 

I got a call yesterday from a guy I left my number with. He runs a second hand/garage sale like store. He had picked up a old TV repairmans' tube box and asked if I wanted it. He quoted me price and I thought I would want it. I told him if he would save it I would get it. I was expecting one of the old huge tube boxes full of tubes. Instead of the usual big box that opens up it was a small tool box like tube box. I was a little disappointed at first but I told him I would get it so I wasn't going back on my word. But after I saw it and it was a original one with the logo I had to have it. It also had all the tubes,a lot of sales/info and hand tools. I really like it a lot and it fits great into what I want to do in my shop. I have never seen one like it in person or online. I am wondering if these are more rare than the usual big tube boxes.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 244 posts ]  Moderator: pixellany Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next