Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 30, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Accidental Zenith Transoceanic 520A
PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2012 10:14 pm 

Hi--

I don't collect radios or even know anything about them, but I recently bought a neat old shortwave radio at a thrift store for SUPER cheap. :)

Turns out, it's a Zenith Transoceanic 520A, according to its interior labels and the USA stamps on the case and the chassis. It has the number 1009 printed on the interior as well (serial number?).

It is in reasonably good shape, except for having been painted blue, then white. :( The original tan/khaki color can be seen on the bottom where some of the paint either didn't stick or was worn away.

Can this thing be restored, or is it hopeless? I was going to give it to a kid to mess with, but am reconsidering that idea...

Thanks for your input!

Post subject: Re: Accidental Zenith Transoceanic 520A
PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 12:47 am 

Too bad about the paint job; that seriously lowers the value. Someone may be able to use it as a parts donor.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 3:47 am 

The tan transoceanics are very rare. Might be worth it to try to remove the paint.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 3:55 am 

Given the brief discription, it's hardly a "parts" radio and well worth the effort in restoring it properly. I'd highly suggest you not part it out or give it to some "kid". Don't make any hasty decissions on this relatively valuable radio.

Bruce Webster

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 7:14 pm 

What no one has mentioned is that this is a rare US Military version of Transoceanic, the R-520A/URR. Just google it or look on eBay or youtube, and you'll get lots of info. This is not the typical Transoceanic and is not the "tan leather" one. Please don't part it out or give it to a child to play with, even with the paint. If it is otherwise in decent shape, it's something that should be saved and restored. These Transoceanics are particularly easy to restore if in decent shape. Are you serious about restoring it, or are you just looking to sell it?

Many new members who come here with a radio they just found are often just looking for free advice on what a radio's worth so they can sell it for maximum profit. You'll get much more help if you are interested in restoring it.

Garret

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2012 7:26 pm 

By they way, for safety reason I would not give this to a kid to "mess with". These radios can have a hot chassis depending on which way the plug is inserted in the outlet. It's a 50/50 chance. This is a serious shock hazard hazard since all of the metal chassis is directly hot with 120VAC! This isn't the "ouch ha ha it tingled" kind of shock, but it's the "call 911 we think the kid's dead" kind of shock.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2012 9:47 pm 

Thanks, guys, for your responses. (I thought I was set up to receive email notification, but that didn't happen, so sorry for the slow response on my part!)

Just so you have an idea of what I'm trying to describe, here is a link to my Flickr set featuring this radio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11859690@N08/7017902205/in/set-72157629672868273/

I definitely won't be giving the radio to the kid to use for robot parts after reading your posts! But now I'm not sure what to do with it instead. I suppose selling it is actually the best option -- it would get restored properly and have a nice place in someone's collection -- I just feel kind of attached to it now that I started researching about it!

--Adela

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2012 2:58 pm 
Inactive

You have three options, recover it, sell it or repaint. Zenith TO's have been coming out of the woodwork on EPay the past few years. Not worth alot. JMO

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2012 3:20 pm 

Sure looks like a R-520A to me right down to the dial and the special tube sockets and shields. Its not even in the Zenith book and it took me many years of quiet searching to find one.

Id look for a pro to figure out how to safely remove the paint. Even with a resultant less than perfect exterior its worth well into 3 figures. You can still see where the military tag was located and that might be near impossible to find.

Carl

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2012 6:35 pm 

I think most of us would like that radio. It would slide right in my collection of ZTO's beautifully to fill a vacant slot. It looks as if the paint could be removed if one was careful and didn't use too aggressive a cleaner. It would be very time consuming to get it right again but worth the effort.

Pat

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2012 7:43 pm 

hoffies too wrote:
You have three options, recover it, sell it or repaint. Zenith TO's have been coming out of the woodwork on EPay the past few years. Not worth alot. JMO

Thats crazy, Its the Military version, I would Love to have this in my collection.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2012 8:30 pm 

Try using a bit of automotive brake fluid on the underside where it wont show as a test spot. I have had great luck with standard Dot 3 taking off paint wihout destroying the material under it. You may have to use multiple applications to get down to the olive green oil cloth underneath all those layers of paint. Many of these sets were painted to disguise them when they went missing from the military base " AHEM" After this is performed you have to make a decision as to wether or not the green cloth still looks good enough to use. If not, and the surface is smooth enough, you can reshoot it. Give me a PM and I will let you know what paint to use.
Definately this radio is well worth salvaging. Check my web site below for a breakdown of one I restored. In my case however I had to fabricate the oilcloth itself, as someone had removed the original and covered it in contact paper . It can look like new when your done, Art. :D

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2012 1:28 am 

WOW Art!! I just fell outa my computer chair! LOL BEAUTIFUL TO collection!
Joe

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2012 5:01 pm 

Hi, guys--

I PMed someone for advice on this radio, and he pointed out the following:

There are several issues with your radio:
1) it has been painted
2) it is missing the ID tag
3) the battery adapter is missing from inside the radio
4) it is missing the correct fused power plug
5) it is missing the manual
6) don't give it to a child!

He explained each item further, pointing out that some issues are very common with these sets, and that some deficiencies (the manual, for instance) would be hard to remedy.

I think it makes sense for me to sell the radio, given that, even if I successfully removed the paint and made the set pretty, I don't know how to make it work.

My question is one of etiquette: the gentleman offered to buy the radio at a specific price. Am I obligated to give him first dibs, or is it ethically okay to put the radio up on eBay? I really don't want to be one of those people Garret mentioned.

Thanks.

--Adela

P.S. Art-- do you have a separate house for all those radios???

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2012 5:15 pm 
Inactive

Put it in ARF classified so it will find a good home. Plus theres no ebay/palpal fees which are approx. 12% IMO

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2012 5:52 pm 

Quote:

http://www.thisoldradio.com/power.htm

Quote:
My question is one of etiquette: the gentleman offered to buy the radio at a specific price. Am I obligated to give him first dibs, or is it ethically okay to put the radio up on eBay? I really don't want to be one of those people Garret mentioned.

No , your not obligated to sell to that person. What was the offer :?:

Quote:
is it ethically okay to put the radio up on eBay?

Yes .

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2012 7:50 pm 

Joe Klein Jr. wrote:
WOW Art!! I just fell outa my computer chair! LOL BEAUTIFUL TO collection!
Joe

Thanks Joe, Iv'e been working on it for the past 12 years. These days I mostly only look for the odd ball ones, Art.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2012 12:28 am 

adelatoast wrote:
Hi, guys--

There are several issues with your radio:
1) it has been painted
2) it is missing the ID tag
4) it is missing the correct fused power plug
5) it is missing the manual
6) don't give it to a child!

The only issue of significant consequence is the paint. The missing tag would be next, and the rest just doesn't affect it's basic value as much.

Condition is everything with these radios, and yours looks good to me, with the exception of the paint.

As far as retoration is concerned, I have heard the Military Transoceanics often require very little as they used higher grade components in the military contract radios as compared to the civilian ones. I can say that the R-520 which I own (not the "A" version) works perfectly with no restoration. And mine looks a lot worse condition that yours.

What ever you do, good luck and I'm very glad to see that you are going to find it a good home.

Garret

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2012 2:14 am 

Listing the radio in the ARF Classified forum will help ensure it is preserved and properly restored. You will have to set a price for it, and you can let the person who evaluated the radio for you know it is availble for purchase on ARF.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2012 2:42 am 

Ed Morris wrote:
Listing the radio in the ARF Classified forum will help ensure it is preserved and properly restored. You will have to set a price for it, and you can let the person who evaluated the radio for you know it is availble for purchase on ARF.

I'm sorry Ed I can't agree . You should know some so-called members only buy off ARF Classifieds to flip the item on ebay or other venues . They couldn't care less about it being preserved and/or properly restored .

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: sofaslug, Paul Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next