Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 20, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Meters
PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 2:29 pm 

yes Brian I checked no blown fuses or burnt resistors, that leaves only the converter chip as the display still works.
Joe

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 2:39 pm 

Mark P. you deserve an A+ for your thorough efforts. Thanks for confirming what I already assumed: often you get what you pay for. Just because it's got a digital display, an mpu, and supporting chips, doesn't guarantee accuracy nor reliability.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 3:04 pm 

Put it this way- I don't think anyone who owns a HF multimeter is going to bring it back to HF expecting repairs if one is damaged or to get a regular calibration check. :shock: They should have an expiration date printed on the back of them provided they don't expire from normal use before that time.

-Mark-

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:03 pm 

Just imagine for a minute and visualize in your mind... me entering an HF store asking the manager to " please refund my money because this meter's accuracy has drifted appreciably over the last 6 months!" :lol: :lol:
Perhaps I should check the accuracy of my freebie HF tape measure to my trusty Lufkin or Kuffel & Esser models? :wink:

I will state that those little pocket DMMs from HF that are often on sale for $1.99 come in handy for certain construction projects. There are links on the web detailing the modification of them to be used as panel displays for voltage and current on home made power supplies.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:16 pm 

Mars wrote:
Just imagine for a minute and visualize in your mind... me entering an HF store asking the manager to " please refund my money because this meter's accuracy has drifted appreciably over the last 6 months!"

Girl at HF says, "Well sir, just step around back with me please." Takes you to a bench in back of store filled with the latest Fluke calibration equipment. "We have a cure for that." :D

-Mark-

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:33 pm 

I decided to compare my Fluke 27/FM against a roughly 3 year old $3.99 special that I buy by the inner case (QTY 12) from a local importer. Its branded Cal Hawk.

On R, AC and DC its well under a 2% difference, I didnt check anything else. This is one that stays in the house so it doesnt see temperature extremes like the others. The outside ones are used mainly to see if an alternator is charging; bulb filaments; open, short or something in between in wiring; and similar non critical measurements. I also give as presents to family and friends with a lifetime warranty :lol: :roll:

Carl

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 5:03 pm 

LOL Carl --- I too have given a couple of those $1.99 HF meters to friends as a gift. I figured its ease of use and digital display makes it user friendly for them.... being "laymen" in electronics. The one guy is a plumber and he liked his gift.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 9:44 pm 

Simpson 467 DMMs are nice too, if you're not looking to spend a lot. Every so often eBay will get a flood of them from government surplus, and you can pick them up for under $20.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 20, 2012 12:05 am 

$1.99 HF meters !

I get mine free. They have coupons in the Sunday paper. Either a free LED flashlight or a free DMM.

Must have 6 of them now. 2 in regular use. After 6 years, one developed an intermittent jack connection. I have also given 5 to friends.

Great little meters.

Rich

PostPosted: Apr Fri 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

Quote:
LOL Carl --- I too have given a couple of those $1.99 HF meters to friends as a gift. I figured its ease of use and digital display makes it user friendly for them.... being "laymen" in electronics. The one guy is a plumber and he liked his gift.

It really a self defensive measure that saves me time and driving to do a 30 second diagnose. It also means I dont have to stand around and get roped in to do the repair work too....unless I get a nice feed out of it :shock: