Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Refrigerator Kaputt ... Samsung
PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2015 4:23 pm 

This subject is about a Samsung French Door, side-by-side, bottom drawer freezer unit that came with the house. The previous owner bought it new in 2010, got an extended warranty which ... ran out ... earlier this year!!!!! If you read my other thread, the horror story about the Whirlpool refrigerator, keep in mind this is a different house, different refrigerator.

My cousin lives across the street from me and when I was in Germany, he went over to borrow a trash can. He noticed an odor and mentioned it to me when I returned. It smelled like carrion. So, I thought that a mouse may have died in the attic or a kitchen cabinet. Soon, my nose lead me to the refrigerator. When I opened the freezer drawer, I was greeted by a wonderful smell and carrion soup in the bottom. Awful!

I took the drawers, shelves etc. outside and washed them with Clorox disinfectant spray, Dawn dish washing liquid and hot water. That got a lot of the smell out of the house too. Open windows for two days helped a lot. But the plastic still may have the smell in it. I did put several boxes of baking soda in bowls throughout the entire refrigerator.

Oh, did I mention that it was not working??? I checked the owner manual, the Internet and verified that it is not in "Demo" mode. You can hear what sounds like the compressor running ... all of the time. After 24 hours, the temperature in the freezer was 71°F and the temperature in the top refrigerator part was 71°F. The requested temperature for the fridge part is 38°F and the freezer requested temperature is -4°F, so I feel safe to conclude that it isn't working :mrgreen: .

Later today, I will be back in Florida where the two refrigerators are located. But let's continue with the Samsung.

Has anyone had experience with Samsung refrigerators? I have checked the blogs on the Internet but the almost all say the same thing, regardless of whether they are Whirlpool, LG, Samsung or whatever. All universally appear to be nothing but universal whining complaints. They maybe true ... or subjective. I know that my friends here on ARF are more technically inclined than the general public. Some people seem to love to see their words in public (read "Product Reviews" etc. on the Internet).

1) Should I invest in getting this 5-year-old Samsung fixed?

2) Will that carrion odor REALLY go away? The freezer drawer is plastic and all of the lovely juices were retained. But the smell went throughout the entire refrigerator.

3) What brand of refrigerator is reliable? I can usually fix stuff but this is getting over my head.

Most importantly, thank you very much in advance for objective comments. I value them very much.

Post subject: Re: Another Refrigerator Kaputt ... Samsung
PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2015 4:56 pm 

I can't speak specifically for the Samsung, but our GE refrigerator has had some work done. I've replaced the controller board and the thermal sensors. Controller board symptoms were non-cooling, erratic running of the compressor and a clicking sound from relays on the board. Thermal sensor symptoms were un-even cooling or not maintaining temp.

The controller board was on the back, easily accessible under a cover. There were loads of replacement boards out there and ran about $70.00. The thermal sensors - one in the refrigerator and one in the freezer - were also fairly easy to replace and ran about $9.00 each. These are parts costs and I did the work myself.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2015 5:30 pm 

What can I tell ya' Don... after suffering with an all refrigeration Frigidaire fridge, and a matching separate freezer; both failed within five years. I spent almost 800 bucks getting both repaired (evaporator coil leaks.) I did a few self repairs (thermostats and defrost timers) on my own... I paid around 1600 for the pair roughly 11 eleven years ago. When the fridge started freezing up foods I realized it was the first sign that the refrigerant was again leaking and getting. My son was able to charge the system, and it held until I was able to get delivery of a new Whirlpool all-refrigeration replacement unit.

My screw up was designing a kitchen and "pantry" area around the size for special separate freezer/all refrigeration models. There a very few sellers who carry all refrigeration units that will fit in the kitchen space I have available, and at counter depth dimensions.

I sure hope this Whirlpool holds up... we also bought a stackable Whirlpool washer/dryer... again based on available space. I suspect almost everything has been cheapened these days. I hear horror stories about Sub Zero and other higher end units. I've also read horror stories about imported refrigerators--even where shelves were not able to support reasonable loads and broke away from the frames.

I'm old enough to remember replacing working appliances. I junked a GE freezer that ran for 30 years. Wifey didn't like it because it was manual defrost. Since it lived in the cellar, that was no big deal... and every spring I'd do a manual defrost. Wives used to replace these items because of design trends (wrong color, doesn't match this new item, etc... now we are forced to replaced expensive stuff that is crap the day it is delivered because it turns into a lemon one day after the "warranty" has elapsed.

Pete

PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2015 5:43 pm 

Peter Bertini wrote:

I'm old enough to remember replacing working appliances. I junked a GE freezer that ran for 30 years. Wifey didn't like it because it was manual defrost. Since it lived in the cellar, that was no big deal... and every spring I'd do a manual defrost. Wives used to replace these items because of design trends (wrong color, doesn't match this new item, etc... now we are forced to replaced expensive stuff that is crap the day it is delivered because it turns into a lemon one day after the "warranty" has elapsed.

Pete

That's why I'm glad my wife likes the appliances of the '40s/'50s like I do. You can't kill most of that stuff.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2015 5:55 pm 

I can tell you that it's impossible to completely remove the odor. The only way you can get rid of that is to replace the plastic parts AND all of the insulation. If your unit has foam-in-place insulation like nearly everything built in the last couple of decades, it just isn't happening.

A compressor that runs constantly, with no refrigeration to speak of, is usually a positive indication there's a leak in the sealed system. Certain brands and models tend to have specific problem leak areas, while on others it could be anywhere.

I wouldn't want a unit that had a sealed system repair, unless I had done the repair myself and knew it was done right. In your case if you travel a lot and the system failed again, you will come home to a repeat of the same scenario. If the unit came with the house, I'd get rid of it and buy a new one.

Actually, I think there aren't many reliable appliances in this day and age. It may not even be possible to get a good one. You can automatically eliminate Samsung, LG, and many of the other heavily advertised brands. GE and Whirlpool used to be at the top of the quality level for refrigerators, but they aren't what they used to be either. GE parts are notorious for being more expensive than some competitors. Whirlpool may still be the best you can get, but it's not going to last 30 years like they used to.

I'd buy only from a company that does their own service, such as Sears. No subcontractors or "authorized" service agents please. Then at least you have only ONE place to complain to when there are problems.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 1:25 pm 

If there is a refrigerant leak, it may show as an oil spot as refrigerant oil is carried through the system with the refrigerant. If it is serviced as a major assembly, replace the refrigerator as the most cost effective way out.
A service manual might show you the self-diagnostic routine with fault codes as most new appliances are software-controlled.
I have a Maytag (in name only) refrigerator with the French doors. It seems to take up a lot of room in the kitchen as opposed to a single door fridge.
The weatherstrip seal between the doors is fraying and worn from friction. A poor design.
I don't rely on online reviews or Consumer Reports 'Best Buy' any more.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 9:53 pm 

Quote:
even where shelves were not able to support reasonable loads and broke away from the frames.

My #1 complaint about modern fridges. The shelves break or......worse, the molded-in ledges holding the shelves break. You either lose the usefulness of that part of the fridge or you spend $$$ to fix it.

To the OP: replace the fridge. Just do it. If you don't, you're always going to wonder if it's gonna happen again. Think about all the time you spent cleaning out that nasty smell. The money you spend to dispose of this problem will be a blessing in the end, trust me.

What replacement to get? Get one of the cheaper models. Why? Because it will probably last 3-5 years, just like the more expensive models do.....and when it does barf, there will be no question about whether it is worth it to fix it!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 12:18 am 

I bought a plain looking no fancy features Whirlpool for this house in 91 and it is still humming away happily with no issues. My Aunt has a "garage" fridge that is some old 50s monstrosity and it still works as far as I know, my brother wanted to take it off their hands for his garage. My folks have had nothing but headaches with their more recent, side by sides with the fancy features and have gone thru them due to mechanical failure, they also heard "they don't make them good anymore" about a lot of large appliances, and have fount out it seems to be true.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 12:30 am 

I still have my grandmother's Kelvinator Refrigerator-Top freezer Model TCK1970MN that's still humming away in my kitchen. It's at least 45 years old, and can get ice cream rock hard.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 12:53 am 

3) What brand of refrigerator is reliable?

Nowadays, you're taking a chance on just about any brand you buy, due to lack of quality. I've heard decent things about Whirlpool, but who knows? I'd definitely replace the one you have, though.....like others have pointed out, you'll be hard-pressed to get that smell out.

My dad's last fridge was a Frigidaire (back when they were part of GM) he bought in the late 70's---it was still going strong three years ago when he replaced it with a new, energy efficient model that he got for free (some sort of gov't program).

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 2:47 am 

Quote:
That's why I'm glad my wife likes the appliances of the '40s/'50s like I do. You can't kill most of that stuff.

Here here to that! I say the pinnacle era of appliance reliability was during the early/mid NASA years; say 1958-1965. Case in point my 1963 Kenmore/Whirlpool washing machine was given to me by an HP Baltimore coworker back in 1985 destined for scrap. Well, my anti-throw away society part of me wanted to save it and restore it. So it was done; maybe $250 worth of parts (mind you everything needed for parts was available from Whirlpool at the time as are some now); and to this day, the old girl is still going strong. The only maintenance done since the rebuild was replacing the motor (original) and drive belt ~~2 years ago. The first few years of telling friends/family members of the project, they just laughed and couldn't understand my reasoning & waste of time/money. As the years of its service continue (age 52 now) the room gets quieter and quieter (LOL)...

Still crazy???

Tom (PK)

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 3:33 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
3) What brand of refrigerator is reliable? I can usually fix stuff but this is getting over my head.

Most importantly, thank you very much in advance for objective comments. I value them very much.

Buy an old one that is in good working condition provided it is large enough for your needs.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 4:44 pm 

I can remember when my parents replaced appliances. It was always to get something larger. Never because the appliance wasn't working.

Today, just search the internet and read the horror stories about appliances.
Especially refrigerators. I remember reading about LG refrigerators that actually heated up and caused fires.

When my last refrigerator went out, I asked the service tech what kind he had. He told me he owned the most basic, no circuit board Whirlpool. I found a 21 cubic foot Whirlpool at Lowe's. They were closing out that model, and I got it for $599.00 after all sale discounts. Came with free delivery, ice maker, and old appliance removal. I have it two years now and no issues. I love it. I don't need fake stainless steel, multi function, circuit board loaded, overly complex and expensive appliances in my house. I just want to have appliances that can perform the function that they supposed to do and nothing more. Simplicity is good.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 8:35 pm 

We have an Amana that's 39 years old and is still working well.

My sister-in-law bought a fancy fridge a few years ago (don't know the make). While they were away on for the weekend about a year after the purchase, the plastic fitting for the icemaker water supply broke and flooded the kitchen and part of an adjoining room. I hear that freeze-ups and broken fittings on icemakers are not too uncommon. That's why we'll never get a fridge with an icemaker if we need a replacement.

John

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 9:35 pm 

OldWireBender wrote:
I hear that freeze-ups and broken fittings on icemakers are not too uncommon. That's why we'll never get a fridge with an icemaker if we need a replacement.

John

That is why I have a Watercop system that monitors every sink and toilet in the house, including the well system in the cellar. Any leaks, the main feed closes, and the pump motor loses power.

http://www.watercop.com/

Petre

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 9:44 pm 

I am now going to sound like a old man even though I'm 38 years old. That's why I have nuttin' but 50's fridges. Not much to break and built robustly.

Anyway... a year ago we went to a local appliance place to get a new vent hood and the sales guy told me that fridges today are basically good for maybe 10 years. And that's it.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 10:16 pm 

You guys are scaring me. I will pay for extended warranty next time. My refrigerator is 25 years old, so gotta be soon!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 11:17 pm 

Smell? Ha. One of my sister's relations was a fisherman and kept his bait in a fridge in the garage. It quit and nobody noticed for several months.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2015 4:54 pm 

Years ago, my Father decided he wanted the old GE fridge out... bought a really nice used GE SxS self defrost... it was so noisy it made him crazy and he said it was mostly on and rarely off... by his stopwatch. His electric bill doubled and that REALLY annoyed him. I checked the charge and that was spot on and it was putting out ice cold air.... He sold that to a friend after he found the identical unit that went to the curb in the "Penny Shopper"... quiet as a church mouse and his electric bill back to normal... case closed!!!
We still use a circa 1965 Whirlpool washer that my Mother bought used back then and gave it to us 25 years ago... NEVER a peep out of it and still going strong!!! YMMV!!!

Jim

PS: Most, if not ALL, of the new fridges use super thin coils that are prone to rupture... read up on it... quality has gone out the window for glitz...!!!