Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many of you still listen to new music?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 01, 2017 11:35 pm 

Things seem to go in cycles for me. In the early 2000s, the modern AC stations, which I had previously enjoyed, flipped formats, and CHR (aka. Top-40) seemed to be changing in such a way that I stopped caring much for it. At that time, my listening started to migrate primarily to nostalgia-formatted stations, jazz, and talk radio. I had a sense then that Generation-X was no longer the focus of the music industry's output (as it had been just a few years prior).

Years later, I discovered Amy Winehouse, Adele, Lorde, and Hozier. I mention these specifically because all of them were born after 1980--the cutoff year for Generation-X.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 16, 2017 12:37 am 

Check out Panic! at the Disco. Lead singer Brendan Urie has a hell of a set of pipes on him. Particularly "Death of a Bachelor", their rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody", "This is Gospel (piano version)", Hallelujah", The Emperor's New Clothes".... I enjoy their whole catalog, however...
Twenty One Pilots is another new group(?)(There are only 2 of them -Tyler Joseph & Josh Dun) They have songs like "House of Gold", "Stressed Out", "Holding On To You", a great cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love With You", "Ride".... Another catalog of great stuff, IMHO.....
Just my $.02

PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2017 5:14 am 

I gave up on new music years ago. I can’t stand most new music nor the degenerates that perform it. I have a few albums from bands that limit their CD’s to a 100 copies, if that gives you any idea how obscure they are.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2017 8:41 pm 

I listen to new music all the time. That's based on the principle that any music that you haven't listened to yet is new. Being young during the sixties and seventies, I was expected to enjoy and listen to rock music. Most of it never did anything for me. during the 80's I started listening to big bands, the main one being Glenn Miller. In the early 90's I started listening to jazz artists of the 30's and 40's. When I hear an artist I've not heard before and like, I look up and purchase their CD's. The music might be 50 to 70 years old, but it is new to me and I keep on finding new works that become new favorites. Here is a little piece that is 77 years old, but it's 5 years since I've first listened to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fiV3iWxko

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 11:56 am 

^Yeah, you have a point. There are a lot of contexts to be taken, and yours is definitely agreeable — I dig your definition of new! :D

Here's my take: If the new generation music is to be taken, yes, I do listen to it — be it mainstream or underground. :D

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 8:24 am 

I'm 58 years old and most of the music I listen to is from this century and most of it is not popular on the radio.

I'm totally burned out on "Classic Rock" because I've been force fed a diet of it at work for the last 30 years, I never liked it much to begin with to be honest, I was more into 50's music at that time and still like to listen to it from time to time but my tastes have changed to newer music, not the new music that's one the radio day in and day out but more obscure stuff from Indie bands and labels.

"Alt Country" is a particular favorite, Slim Cessna, Neko Case (amazing talent), Laura Cantrell to name a few, also stuff like The Mountain Goats, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Interpol, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Calexico, Clem Snide, Devotchka, The Handsome Family and so on.

And I'm always looking for new stuff.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

Nostalgia is a big part of it. Many listeners claim the best music came from their "time" and I'm no different, but there is, to me anyway, something to "the 60s-80s was the best time for popular music" belief. I tend to believe that when I can't find my Pink Floyd or my Beatles CDs because my kids have them, or when the biggest acts on tour are older bands from the 60s-70s. Paul McCartney is in his 70s and still makes girls cry. Where are the huge acts of the 2000s? The Foo Fighters are probably the biggest act nowadays, and the Rolling Stones could still draw a much bigger crowd.

The music biz has changed so much too, and we could fill pages and pages on that topic. In my opinion (and in a nutshell), today's music artists don't make their fortunes from record sales like they did 30+ years ago. Nowadays they have to to hit the road and stay on the road, and they're not playing stadiums anymore, but smaller venues like the House of Blues, or other smaller, local clubs.

I jumped off the music train about ten years ago. I couldn't find anything new I liked, so I went back and found stuff I'd passed over in the 70s and 80s. I'm glad I did, there's tons of great stuff. But every now and then, I do stumble on new stuff that just blows my socks off.

I'm a Southern Rock guy too, and there's a new act on the road and have several LPs out now, Blackberry Smoke. They are awesome.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 8:27 pm 

I like finding new-to-me music, but most of it seems to come from the 50's through the 90's. Being born in '84, I missed out on a lot of good music that is nearly forgotten today. :( There are some exceptions, but I seem to have a hard time finding much that I enjoy past 2000 or so. So much music today is just soul less noise compared to the older stuff.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 8:36 pm 

beat_truck wrote:
I like finding new-to-me music, but most of it seems to come from the 50's through the 90's. Being born in '84, I missed out on a lot of good music that is nearly forgotten today. :( There are some exceptions, but I seem to have a hard time finding much that I enjoy past 2000 or so. So much music today is just soul less noise compared to the older stuff.
Case in point, the new Samsung commercial. I was struck by the song "I'm Moving On" so I looked it up only to find it's from 1961. :lol: Chyvonne Scott... I'm moving on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpWp9P9IVM

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 10:01 pm 

Steverino wrote:

I jumped off the music train about ten years ago. I couldn't find anything new I liked

I did that in the mid-seventies... :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 6:03 pm 

Well, I'm a fan of Taylor Swift, and Amy Winehouse has some really good hits too. Usually anything by Adele isn't worth the time to listen to, but that's purely subjective as both the songstress and Taylor still top the charts.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 9:43 pm 

I like what I like, which is a lot.

Perhaps I'm just easy to please, but I like a lot of old music and a lot of new music. My music collection spans from Marty Gold to Alt-J, from Beethoven to The Bombay Royale, from Ravi Shankar to Beach House, Herbie Hancock to Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix to The Association, Andrew Bird to Kava Kon, Kitaro to Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited, and on and on and on.

I think there is good new music out there, in fact I think there is music out there that if it was made 40 years ago would be classic today, but there is just so much competition these days, and the market is so factioned.

Don't think there is any good music being made today? Think again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hxU4UG3dA

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

Sol wrote:
I like what I like, which is a lot.

Perhaps I'm just easy to please, but I like a lot of old music and a lot of new music. My music collection spans from Marty Gold to Alt-J, from Beethoven to The Bombay Royale, from Ravi Shankar to Beach House, Herbie Hancock to Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix to The Association, Andrew Bird to Kava Kon, Kitaro to Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited, and on and on and on.

I think there is good new music out there, in fact I think there is music out there that if it was made 40 years ago would be classic today, but there is just so much competition these days, and the market is so factioned.

Don't think there is any good music being made today? Think again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hxU4UG3dA
I like it. But it's highly reminiscent of another band. I've got a mental block and can't place it right now but listen to the instrumental section starting at 1:45. I've heard that before.

I think when people say "new music" they're talking about the pop charts.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 11:27 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
Sol wrote:

I like it. But it's highly reminiscent of another band. I've got a mental block and can't place it right now but listen to the instrumental section starting at 1:45. I've heard that before.

I think when people say "new music" they're talking about the pop charts.

Fair point. To me, I separate it as 'modern' music, which will have a distinctive contemporary sound. At the same time, it seems to me that music is fairly cyclical, in that musicians come along who seem to change everything, and in between are musicians that seem to go back and try a lot of old things in new ways, thereby paving the way for the next 'revolution'.

There is quite a bit of modern music that is essentially 'retro', like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Coming-Home-Leon-Bridges/dp/B00VVZUPIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1515277034&sr=1-1&keywords=leon+bridges

Amy Winehouse did that. Hozier did that. A lot of people do that - take rock music back to it's blues and country roots but then come away with something 'new', and quite popular, which in theory could have been recorded 40, 50, even 60 years ago. It doesn't always work, but when it does I love it.

Have you heard of these guys, who take new pop songs and produce them in old styles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk

They have a lot of great stuff.

BTW, highly recommend the entire Nathaniel Rateliff album - it's pretty stellar, IMO.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 11:34 pm 

What I'm listening to now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2018 8:58 pm 

I listen to a handful of artists that make new music. The rest of 'em make some garbage version of hip hop or worse yet, (c)rap.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 26, 2018 6:05 am 

Sol wrote:

Good stuff... She''s got a wonderful voice... I love her version of the retro hit: "can't help falling in love w/you"

PostPosted: Aug Wed 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

I can appreciate some new music, but it is never the music that seems to perpetually play in an endless loop on all of the top 40 radio stations. Mostly, I listen to vocal groups from the 50's and early 60's, and early rock and roll artists such as buddy holly and eddie cochran. I can, however, put myself in someone's shoes who does indeed listen to and enjoy currently popular artists because they never learned to appreciate the older style of music as I did.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 08, 2018 7:48 pm 

[quote="The Japanese Sandman"]
This is a song title by the Cellos, from about 1957, for those who don't recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgOssDT0fAQ

PostPosted: Aug Wed 08, 2018 10:38 pm 

And another one, going way back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tef8RQF3XTU

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next