Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: solid state amp recommendations
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 11:45 pm 

Do not pass up a good deal on a Realistic receiver from the era, I was given an STA-76 a few years back and like it so much I sold off my sony that it replaced. Underrated in my opinion

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:19 am 

That's mainly because Sony is over-rated, or overly thought of

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:07 am 

Not really, the Sony was a good receiver with a lot of punch, I just like the look and sound of the Realistic more. My other receiver is a Harman Kardon from the same time frame and they are both great sounding receivers

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 11:42 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I now have enough info to look for one now and have some ideas of which models to look for.

As to speakers, here is what I would love to do-don't know if it is possible or not though. I would like to make a 'surround system' with drive-in movie speakers. Maybe take 4-6 speakers and post them around the room and use them. Plus maybe a couple of larger subwoofers. Does that sound possible or just wishful thinking on my part. The speakers are 4 ohm speakers by the way.

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 5:07 am 

1930artdeco wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I now have enough info to look for one now and have some ideas of which models to look for.

As to speakers, here is what I would love to do-don't know if it is possible or not though. I would like to make a 'surround system' with drive-in movie speakers. Maybe take 4-6 speakers and post them around the room and use them. Plus maybe a couple of larger subwoofers. Does that sound possible or just wishful thinking on my part. The speakers are 4 ohm speakers by the way.

Thanks,

Mike

If you are going to do that, don't expect it to sound like anything, drive in speakers are about as low fidelity as you can possibly get. Also, don't expect to be able to use modern subwoofers as an attachment for a vintage stereo amplifier from several decades ago. They simply won't work well together. What you are proposing to do would not sound good at all to most people. I guess it all depends on your own personal likes and dislikes for your music.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 1:42 pm 

Most of the receivers that were mentioned here are not designed to drive more than 4 speakers (2 per channel) at a time. Some warn to take impedance into consideration if more than 2 speakers are used.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 1:51 pm 

cl350rr wrote:
Not really, the Sony was a good receiver with a lot of punch, I just like the look and sound of the Realistic more. My other receiver is a Harman Kardon from the same time frame and they are both great sounding receivers

I agree, Sony is a "good" receiver, nothing more. Its no McIntosh and never will be. That's where Sony is over-rated, people think
they are at the Top of list, when in fact, they are just average, on par with Pioneer, HK, all the premiums brands.
But that still doesn't make them TOP notch. I'm not brand loyal or crazied about only one brand, I do like premium brands and choose
from the market price.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 2:06 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
cl350rr wrote:

I agree, Sony is a "good" receiver, nothing more. Its no McIntosh and never will be. That's where Sony is over-rated, people think
they are at the Top of list, when in fact, they are just average, on par with Pioneer, HK, all the premiums brands.
But that still doesn't make them TOP notch. I'm not brand loyal or crazied about only one brand, I do like premium brands and choose
from the market price.

Agreed, as a brand of audio equipment, Sony is just another mid-fi "commodity" supplier like most of the Japanese manufacturers, at least as interested in styling and features than performance. Sony's only distinction has been that they have been involved in the development of several standards (like CD Audio and mini-disc), but even that isn't entirely unique, as Pioneer was similarly influential in the development of quad.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with that, they developed and served a huge market for such thing, while a lot of others touting high fidelity credentials have some and gone. And you have to give Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc, some credit for providing *reliable* equipment for the most part, which is FAR better than most of the supposed hi-fi suppliers ever managed, The fact of the matter is the performance is plenty good enough to the point that other elements of the systems, like speakers and room setup, and limitations of the source material made more difference. The best amplifier design in the world is next to useless if you go out of business!

The bottom line is that the market for true hi fidelity equipment is tiny and the economies of scale work against the manufacturers, which is why there are so few manufacturers (like McIntosh) that have managed to stay in business, and why most of it is so hideously expensive - whether it's any good or not.

Brett

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 9:48 pm 

Thanks this is why am here to ask lots of questions before I spend the money and time.

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 3:05 am 

Start small and cheap and work your way up. The better 1970s silver face receivers have a tuning meter(centering) and signal strength meter. My brother once told me cheap speakers will make a good system sound bad and good speakers can make a cheap system sound good. There are lots of mid-fi bargains out there as Vietnam-era vets sell off their old gear. And don't get suckered into spending big $$ on Marantz blue lights. They're over-rated.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 6:10 am 

Mike, understand that buying any 40-50 hr old piece of electronics is a crapshoot. Purchasing via eBay or other can and will eventually turn your “good deal” into a money pit. There’s no shortage of “experts” when it comes to audio, and flippers with their “bandaid” repaired devices will sour your purchase and ambitions quickly. Ask around, if you’re in an urban area, there’s likely a good tech or specialty shop that have units available with provenance. If they won’t produce a broadcast sheet of a total rebuild and warranty, they’re bogus. Bringing your “bargain” buy to a reputable shop is very costly. Solid state devices have layers of boards, switching devices, etc etc. Like cancer, if you don’t go thru it all, it’ll eat you alive. If you can’t find such a shop, they’re are good people on the net, nothing’s cheap. Otherwise, there are good modern devices within your $500 budget and multiple ways to obtain phono and radio broadcasts. Same with speakers. Tread slowly.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:18 pm 

I think that's an overly pessimistic outlook. I've purchased numerous vintage solid state receivers from yard sales and flea markets (never Ebay) and they all work. The one "problem", if you can call it that, is they sometimes need the controls Deoxed. Once the controls are cleaned, operate them through a bucking transformer at 115V and they will last forever. Unlike tube equipment, solid state either works or it doesn't and if it works it will continue to work.

I will also take exception to the idea that new equipment is as good or better. Watt for watt in a side by side comparison quality vintage receivers will blow away any of the new stuff sonically. When the watt wars started the emphasis became on more power and bigger speakers while the musicality suffered. I had a 600 watt unit that couldn't keep up with my 40 watt Technics or 35 watt Pioneer. When it comes to stereo receivers, newer is not better.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-a-digital-guy-fell-in-love-with-a-vintage-stereo-receiver-3bc132a347d7

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

Larry

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 7:15 pm 

My advice would be to look for one of the Lafayette LA series amps.

I have a LA-375 and I'm thinking it's 25 WPC and driving a pair of KLH 22A speakers it is plenty loud enough and sounds great as well.

Not many think much of those Lafayette amps so they aren't real expensive.

Usually only needs the electrolytic capacitors replaced and the internal adjustment pots for the amp section replaced.