Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 21, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KLH Model Eleven
PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 3:29 am 

I have just had the good fortune of buying a KLH Model Eleven "suitcase" turntable in exceptional operational ad cosmetic condition. After searching for years, I found one on Craigslist 7 miles from my home...and it was owned by a gentleman with 50 years experience as an audio tech. The serial number is 36546, indicating, I believe, it is from about 1965. It has the smaller cartridge head with the turquoise top and the original Pickering V15 cartridge. I am no techie, and know that what I hear is the ultimate determinant of performance quality. However, given the unit's age should I be looking for a replacement cartridge? If so, what would be appropriate for the Garrard AT-6 (probably) TT? I have eclectically musical tastes but gravitate towards classical and melodic vocals. This unit is not my primary system (most are vintage tube units); however the Model Eleven is so cool and generated an instant college flashback. At the $200 price in 1965, it was way beyond my means. Many thanks for any who choose to reply
Dave F

Post subject: Re: KLH Model Eleven
PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 3:22 pm 

The Pickering V15 is a magnetic cartridge, so you should not replace it as long as it works. If I were you I would buy a new stylus for it, if it had not already been replaced recently. Your records will thank you.

Of more concern is the condition of the electronics. Did the tech you bought it from restore it electrically? If not, the power supply caps at least should be replaced, if not all the caps, which do degrade over time.

Lastly is the condition of the turntable itself. Were the motor and moving parts kept appropriately lubricated? Has the idler wheel developed any flat spots or hardened over time? These too are common problems.

Nice find. Good luck with it! :)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 12:11 am 

The you for your response. An audio tech I respect offered the same counsel today: keep the cartridge and replace the stylus. I just ordered one recommended by my friend and will have him install it. The tech from whom I bought the unit said he replaced the caps and cleaned and lubed everything. It looks and sounds like it. I will have my friend confirm. I have some very nice vintage WE and RCA tube gear and excellent speakers, and have been spoiled by good sound. The KLH Model Eleven, like the KLH Model 21, amazes me. Quality comes in all sizes. Listening to Grieg's "Morning Mood" from Peer Gynt Suite now. Beautiful.
I think next purchase will have to be a record cleaner

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 12:51 am 

Fantastic Dave. I have to admit I am jealous. I electrically restored a similar Pye mono record player for a customer and was amazed at the sound.

Seems you have everything under control - enjoy!

Post subject: Re: KLH Model Eleven/Singer Model HE-911
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:13 am 

Good fortune smiles twice. One week after buying KLH Model Eleven after a multi-year search I am about to buy it's cousin, a 1965 (I think) Singer clone, the Model HE-911. It is the exact same TT but badged by Singer after the latter purchased KLH. The cache plummeted with the badge, but the sound is the same....everything KLH. It is in excellent condition, to include a new stylus (I just bought a new Swiss stylus for the Model Eleven's original Pickering cartridge today.) I will play with both over the weekend and let you know if I discern a performance difference. I paid less than half for the Singer than for the KLH. The KLH has the greater name recognition and confidence factor, while the Singer is harder to find in this condition. The price could have gone either way. It's been a good week