Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Magnetic flip in the news! There goes our tv Reception!
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 4:24 am 

dangit, now I have to go and reverse the polarity on all my speakers.

shucks.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 4:35 am 

Braithwaite wrote:
Cool! I'm going to start making and marketing mu-metal hat bands to sell to fools who's brains will be scrambled by the flip. I think I will start by marketing to the deep pocket audio affectionados because the hat band will also improve perceived sound quality by blocking the EM noise entering the cochlea.

Norman

You do realize of course that the headband will have to be annealed in a Hydrogen furnace after the suc ... uh ... customer fits the band to their head, don't you? :shock:
John

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:18 am 

Didn't take long to blame it on global warming did it......You cant make this stuff up...Late last nite i worked New Zealand on 75(3795kcs) and the tv didn't work a good trade I think......WA7OPY

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 9:19 am 

OldWireBender wrote:
Braithwaite wrote:
Cool! I'm going to start making and marketing mu-metal hat bands to sell to fools who's brains will be scrambled by the flip. I think I will start by marketing to the deep pocket audio affectionados because the hat band will also improve perceived sound quality by blocking the EM noise entering the cochlea.

Norman

You do realize of course that the headband will have to be annealed in a Hydrogen furnace after the suc ... uh ... customer fits the band to their head, don't you? :shock:
John

What the heck are you talking about?! Everybody knows that it needs to be cryo-treated and made of oxygen-free mu metal. And, if you wear an AFDB*, the hat band should go on the outside to prevent the band from interfering with the mind-control blocking properties of the aluminum.

If I didn't know better, you are one of Them, trying to take advantage of this pole slip to trick people into giving up their protection against the conspiracy. Food for thought and grounds for further investigation.

Brett

*aluminum foil deflector beanie ( https://www.zapatopi.net/afdb/ ). This is important information you can use

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 10:49 am 

Its true look at this news article we had Kangaroo running across the sydney harbour bridge !
This is because of the magnetic shift their compass is out!

We had anther kangaroo swimming!, In the Harbour!
They dont wear hats !
See news links!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... 1577d5b447

https://www.9news.com.au/good-news/2018 ... anly-wharf
Pete

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 5:46 pm 

Brett_Buck wrote:
Pole reversal is a very basic and common occurrence over the history of the earth, and it's been in the current configuration for an anomalously long time. The pole has been moving at a pretty high rate for about 100 years. Now is just as likely a time to do it as any other. It will be a temporary disruption, but aside from the hysterical foaming-at-the-mouth claims of impending doom (see also: global warming) it will end up being irrelevant, you might have to subtract 180 degrees from your compass heading until you get a reprinted version, but other than that, meh. Brett

You are Correct!, Sir. :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 11:21 pm 

The effect that it has will depend on how it changes and how fast it changes. If the poles physically swing around to the other side, the earth won't be without a magnetic field to protect it but auroras will occur in odd places during the shift. If the shift is slow there won't be much effect except that magnetic compasses will be useless. If the shift is fast, there will probably be major problems. Remember that a changing magnetic field induces voltage in conductors. A fast change would likely shut down the electrical grid just like solar flares sometimes do.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 4:13 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:

shucks.

steve

Just think of it as entering a new, ahem, phase in your life. :wink:
John

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 4:52 am 

vintage pete wrote:
Its true look at this news article we had Kangaroo running across the sydney harbour bridge !

Are the drop bears going to start falling up? Hiding in the roots of trees and flying up to attack the nether regions of the unsuspecting tourist?

Brett

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 5:08 am 

OldWireBender wrote:
Dutch Rabbit wrote:

shucks.

steve

Just think of it as entering a new, ahem, phase in your life. :wink:
John

:P

:lol:

LMAO !

steve

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 11:58 am 

Quote:
Magnetic flip in the news! There goes our tv Reception!
And the atmosphere, better start savin up all the compressed air I can find.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:12 pm 

You guys crack me up sometimes....

This is an interesting natural phenomenon and no one seems
to understand why it happens. From what I've read the ionosphere
will be disrupted and may even go away for a while which will increase
exposure to some forms of radiation. Suspect we won't know for
sure till it happens.
Steve

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 5:10 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
The effect that it has will depend on how it changes and how fast it changes. If the poles physically swing around to the other side, the earth won't be without a magnetic field to protect it but auroras will occur in odd places during the shift.
More like multiple odd places.

This is essentially the same phenomena that happens to the Sun on an 11 year (approximate) cycle. Those sunspots, they are the multiple north poles that appear in the southern end of the sun, and the multiple south poles that appear in the northern end of the sun. These sprout up near the equator first, then over a period of time migrate toward the other pole until the process completes and everything settles down (lack of spots) until the next cycle begins again.

The Maunder minimum (lack of almost any sunspots over a very long period) was due to the sun's poles not flipping for an extended period of time (no one knows why).

The earth goes through the same process but over a much longer time period and we have also had an extended hiatus from pole flipping. So many localized north poles will start appearing in the southern hemisphere while localized south poles will start appearing in the northern hemisphere. These will begin migrating and eventually all of the migrating north poles will end up at the south end and the migrating south poles will end up at the north end and that will be the state for several hundred thousand years on earth.

During this process the earth's magnetic "shield" will be rather ineffective at guarding us from the solar wind and any other charged particles. How long this process will take is subject to a LOT of speculation. However, there should indeed be auroras in unusual places.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 5:36 am 

They cut some samples out of layers of rock in S America somewhere and samples pointed to the shift happened fast .
Time will tell!
Pete

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 7:02 pm 

Boats and planes still use magnetic compasses (not sure about modern jets). There are people that will "steer" the compasses for you; usually, it's some guy in his 80's that has been doing it for 100 years and claims to have the ability to figure out where magnetic north is by pointing his head a certain way. If the flip happens, the compass steering folks may need to make adjustments.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2