Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 4:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FORUM HOSTING ISSUES CONTINUE
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:51 am 
Site Admin

It's been a long day and nothing has been accomplished. At 3:00 this morning I got an email telling me they were ready to transfer the files and they wanted the account information to do so. An hour later (4 AM) I got another message telling me it was done and I needed to update the nameserver (DNS) information with GoDaddy. I typed in the information they supplied and it was rejected as "invalid data".

I tried several times, then contacted the new host and was told the information was correct, contact GoDaddy. Support there is only via phone, so I called from the Philippines and spent 20 minutes going over everything. They concluded that the name server was invalid.

So back to the host that couldn't seem to understand what I was asking. I also had noticed that the IP address assigned to the site didn't work and that I couldn't log into the account either. SAfter a couple of hours I was told they could only handle the issue over the phone, not via their online support chat system. They told me they would call me, even though I have an international number, but after an hour, no call.

So then I tried to call them. I didn't want to do this because I don't have a large balance available on my cell phone and was afraid of getting cut off mid-call. But I do call, get shuffled into the queue and am on hold for ten minutes ... followed by a "leave a message" message.

So then I try email and get no further than "we were able to replicate your issue" which really doesn't help me at all. They blame GoDaddy for the DNS issue and tell me the IP addresses go to a "Sorry" default page because they're shared by other users, even though they're supposed to be dedicated to this site. Then they tell me that I'm getting the defaul page because there are no website files on their server, although they had the information to transfer them, told me they were starting the transfer, and told me the transfer was complete.

The after waiting nearly an hour for another response, I'm told the tech person is out to lunch and nobody else is allowed to work on my issue.

I've been trying to work with their tech people (person?) for over nine hours now. I think I made a big mistake by selecting this company. I'm still looking for a new host.

Post subject: Re: FORUM HOSTING ISSUES CONTINUE
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 10:48 am 

Perhaps the name was a hint?

Marc

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Although I haven't mentioned it here, that did bother me (it's "hostpapa"). I looked up reviews of their services and they were in line with what I have now. The company CEO promised better support than I currently have, which has degraded over the past couple of years after an ownership change, but I didn't expect perhaps the worst customer experience I've ever enountered.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 11:08 am 

With GoDaddy, I can assign the DNS nameservers for each domain myself. Under domains, simply click the "DNS" button, and it goes to the DNS page. Under nameservers, click change, and enter the two nameservers given to you by the new host. Click update/save, and it's done.

Nameservers are of the format "NS13.Hostserver.COM" - is that what you are given?

Eight seconds to change nameservers in GoDaddy - I just timed myself. Propagation through the other DNS servers worldwide occurs in a few hours. Google is always fast on the uptake, which is why my computers use google DNS rather than my ISP's DNS.

Attachments:
DNS.jpg
DNS.jpg [ 13.16 KiB | Viewed 6743 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 11:14 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Although I haven't mentioned it here, that did bother me (it's "hostpapa"). I looked up reviews of their services and they were in line with what I have now. The company CEO promised better support than I currently have, which has degraded over the past couple of years after an ownership change, but I didn't expect perhaps the worst customer experience I've ever enountered.

https://hostpapasupport.com/what-are-th ... meservers/

Moving the database to the new servers, that I can't help with. If it's a SQL database, whoever is hosting now should be able to move them with the right login credentials.

Moving a website is almost always performed by the new host - give them the login info for the old site, and let them move things. Unable or unwilling, I go get my refund. :shock:

I host with GoDaddy on shared servers and one dedicated server ($$$$$) but the service is just okay. SmarterASP..net is good too - but you don't need windows hosting either, so I can't recommend anyone. HostGator used to be the default for most sites.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Nameservers provided wer ns.v978901.hostpapavps.net and ns2.v978901.hostpapavps.net. It's the "v978901." Additional part that makes in unstandard.

I provided them with server login info and they told me they were starting the process and an hour later told me they finished it, but they didn't do anything.

In all it was an annoying mess of issues that should have been easy to deal with, especially if they're the level hosting company they sell themselves at.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 11:24 am 

Try it without the additional chaff.....

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 11:29 am 

Why VPS? I thought the problems were server related? A virtual private server is still a shared server. One resource hog, and all other sites on the server are affected...

My only VPS experience ended badly, hence the dedicated server. Even with the base configuration, no resource issues.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 1:37 pm 

Our company used Godaddy for hosting and email and we just moved off due to support and reliability issues. We used them for at least 15 years and finally convinced the management to move after many service interruptions. Some of our issue was the complexity of the website but that Godaddy support was truly awful, they were more interested in trying to see you something vs helping you fix was was generally they issues. Sad they are not the only hosting sites that are this way. At least they got rid of the Valley Girl saying "AWSOME" everything you called in ;-)

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 2:06 pm 

Sounds like the modern business model, maximize short term profit by providing the cheapest, shoddiest service they can get away with. Very common nowadays, and not just with web hosting outfits. But thank you for doing all that and putting up with all the hassle.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 2:13 pm 

Alan, you had recommended Site 5 a number of years ago. Is this our current host?

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 3:28 pm 

Have you ever looked at westhost.com

Reliability and Support are top notch

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 3:57 pm 

Just out of curiosity - why not www.siteground.com ?
They seem to be one of the better rated hosts out there...

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

BikeNEPA wrote:
Godaddy support was truly awful, they were more interested in trying to see you something vs helping you fix was was generally they issues.
Both of my kids worked for Godaddy briefly. The support people are scored on being able to sell you something else whether you need it or not AND on how many calls they handle in a day (depends on them being able to get you off the phone whether you are actually helped or not). The support people really are not support, they are sales disguised as support. Both of my kids found it to be a horrible experience because they actually tried to solve the problems and just got dinged for it. They quickly moved on to other jobs.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 5:44 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
BikeNEPA wrote:
Godaddy support was truly awful, they were more interested in trying to see you something vs helping you fix was was generally they issues.
Both of my kids worked for Godaddy briefly. The support people are scored on being able to sell you something else whether you need it or not AND on how many calls they handle in a day (depends on them being able to get you off the phone whether you are actually helped or not). The support people really are not support, they are sales disguised as support. Both of my kids found it to be a horrible experience because they actually tried to solve the problems and just got dinged for it. They quickly moved on to other jobs.

Curtis Eickerman

Exactly what we found when we were trying to deal with them as a business. I felt sorry for the support people because most of them actually seemed to want to help.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 5:44 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
BikeNEPA wrote:

Curtis Eickerman

Exactly what we found when we were trying to deal with them as a business. I felt sorry for the support people because most of them actually seemed to want to help.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 6:58 pm 

BikeNEPA wrote:
Some of them definitely did want to help and tried to help, but were penalized for doing that. So what you ended up with was sales people answering the support line phones with little or no willingness or ability to help.

My kids considered it unethical to try to sell customers services they did not need and found it necessary to quit their jobs.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 7:01 pm 

About 10 years ago I had to choose between GoDaddy and NetFirms, I chose NetFirms and they have been really good.

Alan, I hope your troubles are now over. The site seems to be running well.

Contribution sent. Cheers.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Feb Thu 08, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 7:15 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
BikeNEPA wrote:
Some of them definitely did want to help and tried to help, but were penalized for doing that. So what you ended up with was sales people answering the support line phones with little or no willingness or ability to help.

My kids considered it unethical to try to sell customers services they did not need and found it necessary to quit their jobs.

Curtis Eickerman

I've found that with GoDaddy dedicated hosting, the support line is always helpful, but the shared hosting? The pits. Something must come up on their screens saying "dedicated hosting - treat right" because the same rep that passed me off with a job order number earlier suddenly became the whiz kid when I called about some software version questions in my dedicated server...

You pay $4.95 a month, you get the $4.95 treatment. You pay $212 a month, and you get helped. You get what you pay for....

I'm no fan either way.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:10 pm 

Hi Allen,

We had to dump Go Daddy some years back. They had gone steadily down hill until we could no longer do business. I chose https://www.dreamhost.com/. They have been steady as a rock. The folks that own it work there as I understand it. They have gone out of their way to make sure all of our sites are functional. Being the owners they have a vested interest in their customers satisfaction.

They may not be able to satisfy your needs, I throw it out there only because of what we went through with Go Daddy a number of years past. They used to be great but they changed. I am basically retired now so my association with DreamHost as subsided some but they still hang in there and are on the spot to help.

Tomie

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 47 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next