Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 25, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit time capsule
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:41 pm 

I have a friend who buys, restores and sells houses. Got a text from him Thursday to tell me that he'd found something I might like in a home he just bought, and that he'd have one of his guys drop it off at my house. Got home from work at 5:30 to find a box on my doorstep.
Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 52.52 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Oh boy, Heahtkit! Shipped November 26, 1968. Wonder if this was a Christmas present that was never given?
Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 84.41 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Open the top, and nothing's moved in 59+ years. Can't resist looking. I've never seen one of these unbuilt before.
Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 39.76 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 93.3 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 50.34 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 43.64 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 66.58 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 95.87 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Though I'm tempted to build it, I'm going to leave it as is. I wonder how many unbuilt kits like this one are lying around in basements and attics across the country? So cool, thought I would share.

Ted

Post subject: Re: Heathkit time capsule
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:44 pm 

Very cool indeed!

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:45 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Very nice find and very nice of your friend to share it with you.

cheers

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:48 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Very nice find and very nice of your friend to share it with you.

cheers

Very nice.
I'm going to send some striped bass fillets his way once they start running in three months. I've known him since we were kids, grew up caddying, shooting .22s and playing pool together.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 3:30 pm 

I would build that kit up. I missed out on Heathkits. Have never built one and would love to but the eBay un-built market is just to rich for my blood. I have been looking for HW-101 on the cheap to tear down and rebuild just to get the Heathkit experience, but have never found the right deal. One of these days I will however.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:31 pm 

Ted,

I would NOT build the kit...

I would, hate to say it, flip it. There ARE unbuilt kit collectors who would be itching over an AA5. Consider that most ham gear and test equipment got built and used more often. The AA5 would be quite a catch...

You betcha, say thanks with the fish!

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:50 pm 

That's pretty much where I'm at, Chaz.
I wouldn't want to build this after it's sat unused for 50 years. Then it'd be another $20 AA5 and some packaging. So I have zero plans to rebuild.
If it's going to remain intact, then I'd need a place to keep it. My wife probably won't go for me displaying a cardboard box in the living room, and it would be a shame to just have it sit on a shelf somewhere in the basement after being re-discovered. So I'm probably going to sell it and buy my friend a nice gift in return.
And you're right. I looked on ebay this morning and while there are lots of unbuilt Heathkit kits for transistor radios, power supplies, strobes and other stuff, I didn't see a single tube radio kit in current or completed listings.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 5:39 pm 

Diverted wrote:
That's pretty much where I'm at, Chaz.
I wouldn't want to build this after it's sat unused for 50 years. Then it'd be another $20 AA5 and some packaging. So I have zero plans to rebuild.
If it's going to remain intact, then I'd need a place to keep it. My wife probably won't go for me displaying a cardboard box in the living room, and it would be a shame to just have it sit on a shelf somewhere in the basement after being re-discovered. So I'm probably going to sell it and buy my friend a nice gift in return.
And you're right. I looked on ebay this morning and while there are lots of unbuilt Heathkit kits for transistor radios, power supplies, strobes and other stuff, I didn't see a single tube radio kit in current or completed listings.

I'm with you. I have an unbuilt Packard Bell AA5 Kit I'd love to build, but it's lovely just the way it is. Problem is, it's on a shelf, not displayed. I really ought to offer it to someone who will appreciate it more.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:01 pm 

Diverted wrote:
I have a friend who buys, restores and sells houses. Got a text from him Thursday to tell me that he'd found something I might like in a home he just bought, and that he'd have one of his guys drop it off at my house. Got home from work at 5:30 to find a box on my doorstep....
Though I'm tempted to build it, I'm going to leave it as is. I wonder how many unbuilt kits like this one are lying around in basements and attics across the country? So cool, thought I would share.

Ted

Ted, I bought an Allied Knight-Kit oscilloscope. It has a ton of vacuum tubes. I could not wait to put it together and did.

To me, being able to assemble it was more important than the value of staying as a kit. This is what I did, but certainly, you do what you feel is necessary. Keep us posted please.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:22 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
Ted, I bought an Allied Knight-Kit oscilloscope. It has a ton of vacuum tubes. I could not wait to put it together and did.

To me, being able to assemble it was more important than the value of staying as a kit. This is what I did, but certainly, you do what you feel is necessary. Keep us posted please.

That's great Don. I would love to build something like that from a vintage kit. It'd be a great learning experience on how o-scopes work; I still don't have one. If that kit came across my hands I'd have no qualms about building it.
The radio? Not so much. I'm not a big AA5 guy, though I know others are crazy about them. So the choice is storage, or pass it along.

Thanks for the insight! Now I'll have to start looking for a Heathkit o-scope kit :)

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:38 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:

Don, FYI: I'm going to list it on the ARF classifieds for trade. I wouldn't feel right selling, but maybe it can do me and whoever ends up with it some good.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:11 pm 

I have an Heathkit IO-10 scope project that I am working on off and on over the last 2 years. I found it at the dump and it still had the tubes in it. I decided to tear it down and rebuild it like doing a kit. I got an original manual from eBay and tore it pretty far down, but the circuit board where not able to desoldered as I raised the traces on the first couple I tried, so I left them built. My original intent was to repopulate with all new high quality parts, but it didn't work out. One of these days I will get it going as I can't get thru the CAL directions. The trip is the fun on this type of stuff as a 7 MHZ scope is less than useful and I have an awesome Rigol 1054Z on my desk to play with that does a few more things, lol.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:32 pm 

That sounds awesome. Maybe I'll do that one day!

Anyway, I pulled the "For Trade" ad on the classifieds forum. I'm going to build the kit and give it back to my friend. I'll have a fun time building from a pristine kit; never thought I'd do that. And he told me today that he'd appreciate having an old tube radio to listen to Red Sox games on.
I'll get to it in a week or two. And I'll post photos of the assembly ... every cap, every resistor, every step. :lol:
Also, if anyone's interested I can produce high res scans of all documentation (instruction manual, assembly guide etc) and post those on a file sharing site that anyone can access with a link (imgur.com). Let me know if anyone wants this stuff.

Ted

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:52 pm 

That really brings back memories. I built one of those for a classmate about 50 years ago. As I recall, it actually has an isolation transformer built in.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 11:07 pm 

jmsent wrote:
That really brings back memories. I built one of those for a classmate about 50 years ago. As I recall, it actually has an isolation transformer built in.

Yes it does. Very cool.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 12:30 am 

If you actually build a vintage kit, you have to replace some of the original components with new. Certainly any electrolytic or paper caps. Check resistor values.

I've bought old Heathkits and Knightkits, stripped them down and rebuilt them. The manuals can be downloaded. I sometimes make discrete changes, eg, I don't like using the chassis as a return ground for tube heaters. Anyway, it's far, far cheaper to do it that way. OK, not quite the same experience as opening up the boxes with new parts smell, but still a lot of fun.

Btw, if you think unbuilt Heathkits are expensive, take a look at the prices for unbuilt plastic models:

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?page=72

Old radio stuff is a bargain.

Rob

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 12:36 am 

shinkuukan wrote:
Btw, if you think unbuilt Heathkits are expensive, take a look at the prices for unbuilt plastic models:

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?page=72

Old radio stuff is a bargain.

Rob

Whoa. Pricey stuff. Models are cool but I'd take a radio over one any day.
And yes on the electrolytics, caps etc. I'll restuff the cardboard filter cap can and ditch all resistors more than 10 percent off spec. All paper/wax caps will go; may restuff them if I can.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 1:33 am 

Here are some nice high res scans of the building guide. I'll get around to posting the instruction manual when I start building the kit.

https://imgur.com/a/E6npx

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 1:36 am 

Dig that Johan '62 Dodge Dart. My grandfather had a real one. Remember the push button transmission.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 2:25 am 

So, the saga is taking another, more ominous turn.
I had a few ARFers PM and tell me the kit had some value; I figured it did but not as much as a few think it might. So I felt I should tell my friend, and told him it was OK if he wanted to reconsider me building the kit for him. So I'm going to put it on ebay for him. I get a bottle of wine and dinner, and until then will have fun with it for the next week.
Sad that I won't be building the kit myself, but someone will enjoy it. I wonder if it will be built or not?
What a whirlwind with this radio. I've only had it 27 hours.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next