Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 21, 2018 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arvin 3586 chip on left top corner
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 5:06 am 

Hi, need some advice.

I bought this Arvin from 1959 via craigslist. I almost didn't buy because of the chip but i liked the design so much i restored it (selenium recifier(s) and 4 pack electrolytic et al). in the end it plays great.

However, i have to fix the chip from the front left corner. i know it's not bakelite but it doesn't seem like plastic either. How do i go about molding a corner so it at least looks better than a hole. Should i cut a piece from a RCA 8-542 shell ( i have one) to start and use JD weld or what do you recommend? Your advice is appreciated and i hope it's not "impossible". thanks Rich

P.S. is Milliput a good patch? i see it on the internet but wonder what you think?

Post subject: Re: Arvin 3586 chip on left top corner
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 10:46 am 

Hard to say with out a pic ?

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=335310

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 12:38 am 

Milliput worked great. it allowed me to form to a very jagged chip and shape it as i needed for a distinct corner. i am very pleased with the result.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 9:52 am 

Check back in a few years, many of these products dont stay so good over time.

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 5:59 pm 

Thanks. If it ever fails, i'll be sure and post an update. I don't know of too many things that last forever so until i post otherwise this is great by me.

For now i have a nice sculpted finish to an otherwise very jagged corner chip. Searching the web i don't see any long lasting epoxy products that give the ability to shape that this product allows. I painted it to match such that i may not need to spray the entire top. I'll decide that this summer. if it has to be fixed in 10 or more years, i'm sure new epoxies will be available so until then this is very good.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:44 pm 

Well I didn't say this would last forever: http://www.rawnamerica.com/whats_new/plastipair_pr.php

(Can be moulded and it doesn't seem epoxy based. Not a chemist ...)

But I know it lasts at least 10 years and even spray painted, on whole pieces of Bakelite say, not even junction lines have developed in the paint. Could post pictures but you have done so no point. This usually happens with most epoxy based fillers. But Milliput worked for you. Would be interesting to see how it goes. May not be interested, if nothing occurs for some time, in the mean time :)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:15 am 

What you have looks very interesting but i couldn't find any demonstration videos. Kind of like to know how the product works.

If i had seen that, i certainly would have tried it. sounds great but i'd like to see it in action.

If you know of some video demonstrations - please share. Thanks.