Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 17, 2018 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Wonderful Ranger Clamper
PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 6:16 pm 

OK I'm back but this time confused about a Ranger clamper.

It's the early version with no keyer, however, a PTT relay has been installed properly per the manual.

Drive to the final and the final itself all tunes properly when I key the mic in phone position. However. when I unkey and leave the function switch in Phone position the plate current pegs.

It seems like an obvious clamper problem so I did the clamper test by removing drive (switching to an unused crystal). The clamper reduces the plate current (actually clamper current I know) properly to about 50 ma in the CW mode, but has no effect in AM mode because the plate current stays pegged. Or, as soon as I release the PTT the plate meter pegs in the AM mode.

For the life of me I can't see why the clamper works in the undriven CW mode but not the AM mode. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
W5RAA

Post subject: Re: The Wonderful Ranger Clamper
PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 6:56 pm 

Rick,

Check you PTT switch wiring. The feed to the final screen should be grounded with the relay in standby position (look at terminal 6 SW4A connection) and the clamper circuit is not involved in controlling the plate current in standby, it is only designed to operate in transmit mode with loss of excitation.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 1:52 am 

Well...I tried to check the relay wiring, but picture this! Somebody did a very nice job of rewiring this Ranger WITH ALL WHITE WIRES!

So, that mass of white wires coming out of the bottom of the function is a bit overwhelming...I'll save this one for another day.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 7:59 am 

That must have been the same guy who built a Russian HF CW transceiver I was reverse engineering once, about a century ago. All the wiring was red wire, and I mean all of it. :(

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 1:26 pm 

I have a Telefunken E-1501 receiver that is constructed with the different receiver sections on cards. The interconnecting data/control lines (factory wired) are all white and look like a mass of spaghetti shoved in behind the front panel of the receiver. Mine also has an after-market board to add memory and it replaces the RTTY tuning display; at least that one uses different colored wire.

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
Telefunken E-1501.jpg
Telefunken E-1501.jpg [ 239.5 KiB | Viewed 310 times ]