Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 20, 2018 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Faux brass plating, spray paint match ?
PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 2:51 pm 

Guys, I have an Admiral transistor radio that the metal faceplate had lots of deep scratches in it. I removed all the fake brass coating and are looking for aclose match to re do it. Any suggestions for a good paint I can use ? Thanks a lot for your help.

Bob

Post subject: Re: Faux brass plating, spray paint match ?
PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 9:24 pm 

Try here. They are pricey though.

http://www.finish1.com/page_products_dyecolors.htm

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 11:25 pm 

A couple options
https://julieblanner.com/rub-n-buff-tur ... ful-brass/
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbi ... ets/p/7605

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 6:52 am 

Krylon has a metallic brass paint but I have not tried it yet. Michael's supposedly sells it.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 10:30 pm 

Hi Bob,

Brass-colored faceplates, trim and raised lettering on plastic radios were of two different varieties. Some had a gold matte-finish appearance which could probably be replicated by using gold spray paint (or application of gold-leaf paint via an artist's brush in the case of raised plastic lettering). Others had a smooth high-gloss electroplating applied which looked like real brass or gold, which in fact it was.

If your radio falls into the latter category, there is no type of spray paint which will achieve the results you desire, i.e., look like real brass or gold. The cap on the spray can may look like real brass or gold, but the contents once sprayed on will look exactly like what it is: Gold spray paint.

Of the several suggestions offered above, the best would be the "Gold leaf metal sheets", assuming application is practical in your case.

Depending upon the underlying plastic surface color, the metallic dye colors as recommended by Christ would also work if mixed into a clear coat. Many radio manufacturers used a similar process in applying a brass- or gold-tinted clearcoat over the top of a metal surface plated in chrome or nickel.

I have used the "Rub-n-Buff" as mentioned above on wood surfaces such as picture frames, gold highlights on furniture, etc. It is a good product and makes a nice appearance, far better than gold spray paint, but has a matte finish which does not look like true glossy brass plating. And I doubt whether it would work on smooth metal or plastic surfaces.

In all of the above cases, the finished surface will need to be top-coated with clear lacquer or acrylic to prevent the applied brass-colored finish from tarnishing.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:34 pm 

Because the faceplate has raised lettering, using a rub on or leafing application likely will not work.
The faceplate is made of aluminum, so it lends itself to possibly electroplating, which I have done, with less than optimal results.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 9:07 pm 

Bob S wrote:
Because the faceplate has raised lettering, using a rub on or leafing application likely will not work.

Bob S,
You are correct, a rub-on or leafing application will not work on raised lettering. But I have had good success by applying gold leaf paint with a high-quality artist's brush to such raised lettering. Then, after drying, overcoating it with clear lacquer or acrylic using the same artist's brush to prevent future darkening. In my opinion the very best gold leaf paint currently on the market is that manufactured by Sheffield Bronze Paint Corp. of Cleveland, Ohio https://www.sheffieldbronze.com/products-1/
For your application, I recommend their solvent-based paint as opposed to their water-based version. Their solvent-based version is thinned with xylol or xylene, thus there will be no problem with adhesion to a plastic or metal surface.

As for your aluminum faceplate, it might lend itself better to a dye-tinted clearcoat, such as that recommended by Crist above: http://www.finish1.com/page_products_dyecolors.htm

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 10:45 pm 

You are correct, using a spray product with a clear topcoat might be the best option. It will give a u inform finish with some depth to make it mor factory looking. I guess I have no desire to try to necessarily duplicate the factory finish, but mostly make it look nice. The original finish must have been paint, not plating, otherwise the solvent I used would not have taken it off.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 4:12 am 

Bob, Check your PM.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 9:19 pm 

Bob:

I have used this stuff with great success:http://musicmedic.com/nikolas-lacquer.html

It is Nikolas clear gold-tinted spray lacquer. I think many old gold or brass toned radio parts were actually cast from a silver colored metal and finished with a similar type of lacquer to give them a gold/brass look. You just need to get the remnants of the original lacquer off your part, (which it sound like you already did) and spray a few coats of this stuff. I have used it a few times with terrific, original looking results. It's expensive ( about $30 a can) but one can will be able to tone many parts.