Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair chipped ceramic alignment blades
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 2:35 am 

I have a bunch of little ceramic screwdrivers for alignment of radios and electroniics. Some are made of more durable ceramics than others. Occasionally they may chip off an edge, and end up useless and looking like a broken tooth. At work I used to have access to a rotary diamond wheel for sharpening carbide bits and tooling and found that worked like a cinch to regrind the ends square. Well now I no longer have access to that and had several chipped tools in the toolbox. Got to thinking, I have a 3 piece kit of diamond sharpening tools made for sharpening stuff like knives, and blades. Decided to give it a try and found that these diamond hand sharpeners work just as well on the much softer ceramic material. Minute or two of using the coarsest diamond hand sharpener and had the chipped tips back clean and square. The kit is made by EZE-LAP. Little vinyl case with three grits. The coarsest is 250 and that works perfect and fast. I don't recall what I payed years ago, but the little kits are on ebay for as little as 18$ and of course the set is useful for much more than this purpose. Kit also has fine 400 and super fine 1200 tools. I suspect other than diamond might not work very well on the hard brittle ceramics.

Post subject: Re: Repair chipped ceramic alignment blades
PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 1:17 am 

A chipped ceramic tool, commercial 2 way radio type, I think Motorola maybe? After no more than a minute of lapping the tip on the diamond sharpening tool, nice square end ready to use again. You could work the tool at a shallow angle afterwards if the edge is too thick, to bring it back to spec. Do not make the end too thin on ceramic, or it will probably not last more than once!

Attachments:
DSCN2463.JPG
DSCN2463.JPG [ 103.18 KiB | Viewed 438 times ]
DSCN2464.JPG
DSCN2464.JPG [ 223.76 KiB | Viewed 438 times ]