Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AK Model 46 voltages...
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 4:32 pm 

Rudy18D wrote:
Leigh,
What should I replace that flat set of capacitors with? And how have you mounted the new capacitors? Underneath?
Hi Rudy,

All waxed paper and electrolytic capacitors should always be replaced in any vintage radio.
These components had a significant failure rate back when the sets were new.

Use modern 630-volt "yellow axial" film capacitors for waxed paper caps.
Replace filter caps with electrolytics rated at least 1.5 times the actual voltage on each.

Generally, mica caps and ceramic caps can be left alone unless troubleshooting shows they're bad. These parts usually have good reliability, although anything can fail.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 5:32 pm 

Thanks Leigh. Any idea what MFD I should use to replace the 3 leads coming from the sealed metal box of caps that go to the 26 tubes? The metal box has no markings on it or indication of values.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 7:31 pm 

Rudy18D wrote:
Any idea what MFD I should use to replace the 3 leads coming from the sealed metal box of caps that go to the 26 tubes? The metal box has no markings on it or indication of values.

The modern schematic has all the values.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:40 am 

After replacing all caps per everyone's recommendation while troubleshooting my half volume issue, somewhere in between all the twisting of the removal of the chassis over and over the solder joint from my B+ from the power supply (pin 12 on the connector board) to the chassis came loose. Can anyone look at the new schematic for the AK46 and help me figure out where this came unsoldered from? For the life of me I can't tell where on the chassis it came off of. There is only a two to three inch length reach from the harness wire to the chassis around the 1A 26 tube and the D 27 tube but I can't find where it attaches on the new schematic. Appreciate any help you can give.
Rudy

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:05 pm 

Connect one lead of your ohmmeter to the broken wire. Use the other lead to see if it connects to terminal 11 or 9 on the power supply.
Most likely it connects to one of those two terminals. Let us know what you find.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:52 pm 

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Just wanted to followup on your suggestion. I know where on the control board it connects to , it is to the #12 terminal. Continuity check from end of broken wire solder confirms this. Plus both the 12 terminal and and the end of wire read 362 VDC. I am asking where on the underneath side of the chassis it should connect. It looks to be close to the 1A 26 or the 27 tube but I was expecting that this voltage would go the plate on both of the 71A tubes...that's what I am not sure about and I can't seem to find where I would reconnect the broken solder to underneath the chassis. Just from me taking the chassis in and out and not much play on the wire harness I must have just broken it off. The connections to the control board and power supply are all good. This is all at the end of the wire harness where all the wires power the chassis and tubes.
Thanks
Rudy

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:52 pm 

The wire coming from power supply terminal 12 should connect electrically to one side of resistor 5 on the chassis.
Resistor 5 is 3000 ohms, probably flat/wirewound. Not sure if the wire connects directly to the resistor or through some intermediate terminal. Get your ohmmeter out and find that resistor.
^^^
This was the original answer I typed in my previous post.
Then I reread your original post on the broken wire and went down the other path. :(

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:04 am 

Hi Paul,

You were right. What confused me is that they stacked two separate 3K resistors on top of each other and the one on top had two solid connections going to the 4 pin on the 27 and to ground. Below it was another 3K with the outgoing connections directly underneath the above mentioned....would have thought they would flip the connections on the one below?? Once I figured out that there were two stacked and removed the top, I could see the bottom resistor had the missing connection...my B+.

Thanks for your patience and time dedicated to helping, it is appreciated. Not all of us are gurus or have been doing this for decades so it means a lot when you take the time to help us learn.

Rudy

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:44 pm 

Glad you got it all back together and working.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2