Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: best airless paint sprayer
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:43 am 

Hi everyone
I am looking for a excellent airless paint machines for my home and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend for me?
Thanks, best regards

Last edited by johnhoward on Mar Mon 12, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: best airless paint sprayer
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:17 am 

I had one that worked by spinning a disk horizontally which drew the paint up a tube and flung it off the edge as a "spray". That is NOT the best.

I am trying to remember the brand name of the classic US made 'vibrator' pump sprayer i used to paint two houses back in the 1980's. Wagner i believe. Sears re-branded the same ones as Craftsman so they were readily available. I got the accessory backpack that would feed a gallon through a plastic tube to the hand piece and save the constant refilling of a cup on the handpiece.
In the last 5 years, at Lowe's i think, i noticed there were 2 or three brands, some made in China. They looked similar, but the parts may not be compatible. Looked like several models.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:52 pm 

I have this Graco https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-Magnu ... /204159335 very good for the price.
I was in the Painters Union for 40 yrs and used a lot of spray guns. The main thing is to do a thorough clean up when done.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:10 pm 

There are no really fantastic consumer grade units. You want a commercial one, if you can find one in your price range. Wagner and Graco are probably the best consumer products, but buy near the high end of their line rather than an entry level unit. The one Lou linked to above seems a decent choice for the money.

However, as already pointed out cleaning the unit meticulously is very important, that is the most critical thing you have to do. On some of them if you let it sit an hour with paint in it while you go to lunch, it isn't going to work when you come back. That was the #1 issue with the ones that came into the shop when I worked at Sears, people failed to properly clean them or thought they could take an extended break and just shut it off expecting it to start spraying paint again when they came back. We had one crew of commercial painters that went around doing dumpsters, and 3 times they came in at 2 in the afternoon with their unit not working after the lunch break, and it took 3 times to convince them they had to clean the unit at the time they stopped for lunch or it wouldn't work afterward. Just because they could get away with it some of the time, they couldn't understand why it wouldn't work again all of the time.

Eventually you can wear out nozzles and parts of the pump depending upon how abrasive the paint you run through it is, but for occasional household use a good quality unit should work for years if you keep it spotlessly clean inside.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:57 pm 

I bought a re-furbished Wagner. FWIR about $60 at the time. Used it to paint all the doors and bedrooms of my home, then paint the two outdoor sheds...

Only issue with the Wagner was a cure retarder has to be mixed with the latex so it does not cure in the pump piston.. "Flowtrol" .The whole mechanism is just a vibrator and the piston. Flat paints wear the piston and it has to be replaced every so often. After a while the body wears too and will have to be replaced.

The Wagner excelled at painting the interior hollow doors of Masonite and stick construction. Nice flat egg-shell finish with no brush marks. Doors originally had a dark printed wood grain finish.

Some latex paints do not spray and clog the piston despite the Flowtrol. That mixed batch can still be hand brushed...

Paint viscosity is important, the Wagner kit included a plastic "V" notched viscometer Paint has to flow off and expose so much of the notch in a given time...

I havn't used the Wagner in years, sits boxed in the shed.

Last year I painted my sheds again, by hand, had too, the high coverage Behr paint has a high flattening content. I was sure it would be a clog problem for the Wagner.. Besides, dressing in a paper painters outfit on/off fo several days in late August didn't sound appealing anymore... The neighbors new 6-foot white plastic fence would be a target for red over spray...

Caveat, the high velocity of the exiting paint will penetrate and inject into the skin. Great caution handling the sprayer is a must. I cannot imagine recovering from such an injury :(

Last edited by Chas on Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:53 am 

+1 on prompt thorough cleaning and on caution not to shoot yourself with the pressure pump guns.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:23 pm 

Yes, if you inject paint into your skin with a high pressure sprayer, it's not going to end well. Those warnings are there for a reason.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 5:06 am 

GRAYCO, that's the one I've used for the last 15 years on my home and rentals. Great sprayers.

This Graco Magnum X7 Airless Paint Sprayer, should be all you'd need.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 9:41 am 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
GRAYCO, that's the one I've used for the last 15 years on my home and rentals. Great sprayers.

That's the one I have; got it about five years ago at the orange home improvement store and thus far it has served me well.

I also have a Wagner Flexio 590 sprayer for smaller tasks when I don't want or need to break out the elephant gun. It's a useful thing, too, though it is an air-type sprayer (basically an all-in-one HVLP gun, with the turbine built in to the body.). It does get rather heavy after a while, though.

And I'll third or fourth or fifth the advice to clean them meticulously when done.

-Pat

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 2:48 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:

Hey Mike,

Have you ever tried using it to spray clear coat, such as lacquer and or toner?

Thanks,
Russ

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 3:03 pm 

Why not just buy an air compressor? Seems like less hassle.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 16, 2018 4:19 pm 

I don't think I could put together a compressed air system to produce clean dry air for 400 bucks. Even if I could, I still wouldn't have any sprayers.

Russ