Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "atomic" clocks for home.
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:37 pm 

I used to have a battery powered quartz wall clock in my kitchen from the 70s that ran beautifully.
It had a +/- adj and easily kept beautiful time until I took it down to change the decor.
The new clock matches the new kitchen and looks beautiful with its 8" diameter wood frame that matches the cabinet wood.. beautiful. .... BUT crummy.
It keeps losing time at the rate of 15 secs a day.
No adjustment. New battery does not help. All plastic gears inside.

So I see on-line lots on new "atonic" clocks that get a radio signal once a day... great.

But I cannot find one in 8" size ... and none in wood @ 8".
So I reluctantly bought a 10" one... but only made in silver or black plastic
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152836882287

... and all the 10" wood clocks I see are not the radio controlled type... ARRRG

So we have a wonderful world of great new items... but why not the variety I seek?

I've got to believe that there MUST be a radio-clock in 8" wood somewhere... but I have been unable to find it..
Oh Mr. Google.. help me.

Post subject: Re: "atomic" clocks for home.
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:46 pm 

Buy an atomic clock movement and install it...... And why would a quartz clock lose 15 seconds a day?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:57 pm 

metzman wrote:
Buy an atomic clock movement and install it...... And why would a quartz clock lose 15 seconds a day?

I'd be glad to install the new clock's movement into my "prettier" 8" clock if it will fit. But everything is plastic-welded together.. so I doubt it.

I have no idea how it can be losing 15 secs a day?
Sloppy plastic gears on sloppy shafts all causing drag?
Poor design? .. dunno.
You tell me.

Last edited by Pbpix on Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:59 pm 

Why do you need to be on time within 15 seconds?

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:05 am 

Macrohenry wrote:
Why do you need to be on time within 15 seconds?

I don't.
15 secs lost is fine... but at 15 per day that's 1 minute every 4 days.
That's 7-3/4 minutes behind each month.
That's the aggravating aspect

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:12 am 

Why do you need to be on time within 7 3/4 minutes a month?

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:32 am 

Macrohenry wrote:
Why do you need to be on time within 7 3/4 minutes a month?

Again.. I don't.

But the battery lasts about 2 years I think and at this rate I'll be 3.1 hours late for my dental appt. next year.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:43 am 

Or just get a new quartz movement. They're only about $1.50 with free shipping from china.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:51 am 

metzman wrote:
Or just get a new quartz movement. They're only about $1.50 with free shipping from china.

My concern is that I can't get the thing apart since it's all kind-of like one piece plastic welded.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:56 am 

C'mon guys, clearly this calls for some ingenuity. A camera pointed at the clock, an NTP-locked processor, enough CPU muscle to do image recognition and diff the correct time, then feed a display with the error offset next to the original clock. Probably even do it with a modern raspberry pi and six months design time.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:47 am 

Pbpix wrote:
I have no idea how it can be losing 15 secs a day?
Sloppy plastic gears on sloppy shafts all causing drag?
Poor design? .. dunno.
You tell me.

A bad quartz crystal. Perhaps only yours is bad or perhaps they bought crystals from a manufacturer that does not try to make them right.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:42 am 

Why not take the quartz movement out of the old clock, and swap it into the case of the new one? Even if you destroy the movement in the new clock trying to remove it, it's not like anything of any real value would be lost. Alternatively, remove the movement from the new clock, and replace it with something like this. If the new clock is entirely a lost cause, a Google search for "radio controlled wood clock" yields several results.
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:13 am 

Adam Vaughn wrote:
If the new clock is entirely a lost cause, a Google search for "radio controlled wood clock" yields several results.
-Adam

That's the essence of my post Adam... Google does show wood radio set clocks... but none of these are 8" or 10"
Specifically I need:
8" or 10"
Radio set
Wood.
round wall clock

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:31 am 

I bought a Tecsun radio for my bedside alarm - the usual alarm radios just don't have the VHF FM sensitivity round here - and it works really well BUT the damn clock runs slow by about 2 minutes a month - only takes a couple of button pushes to fix but boy - is it annoying? Very!

My best clock for accuracy is a homebrew electronic thing that runs from the mains and gets it's timing from the 50Hz - set it against WWV and it's right until the next power cut!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:42 am 

majoco wrote:
I bought a Tecsun radio for my bedside alarm - the usual alarm radios just don't have the VHF FM sensitivity round here - and it works really well BUT the damn clock runs slow by about 2 minutes a month - only takes a couple of button pushes to fix but boy - is it annoying? Very!

My best clock for accuracy is a homebrew electronic thing that runs from the mains and gets it's timing from the 50Hz - set it against WWV and it's right until the next power cut!

Me too.
I built a nixie tube 4 digit like that (49 years ago) way back in 1969 when I worked at Monsanto electronics.
Based on 60hz and the clock ran perfectly for many years until the nixies started to dim.

Monsanto was building counters and O'scopes back then.
So we had lots of these nixies around so they encouraged the technicians to take some home and build stuff.
(Nicest, most friendly company I ever worked for.)

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:15 am 

Quote:
I built a nixie tube 4 digit like that (49 years ago) way back in 1969 when I worked at Monsanto electronics.
Based on 60hz and the clock ran perfectly for many years until the nixies started to dim.

If you can do that, I'm sure you can figure out how to fit a modern movement into a 8-10" case. Make us proud, son.

Last edited by metzman on Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:17 am 

Pbpix wrote:
But the battery lasts about 2 years I think and at this rate I'll be 3.1 hours late for my dental appt. next year.
Why not just plan to get there 3.1 hours early?

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:39 am 

Macrohenry wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Why not just plan to get there 3.1 hours early?

I like that idea. Why didn't I think of that?
Maybe if I make an early morning appt I can just sleep in the parking lot and leave a note on the dentist's door asking him to wake me up when he arrives.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 6:26 am 

metzman wrote:
Quote:

If you can do that, I'm sure you can figure out how to fit a modern movement into a 8-10" case. Make us proud, son.

Trying to figure out how to get the 3 hands under the glass off the shafts w/o damage.
and in the case of the plastic stuff most is glued together parts.

When the new radio clock 10" arrives maybe i'll just try to faux wood paint the outer rim.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 6:42 am 

Pbpix wrote:
majoco wrote:

Me too.

Monsanto was building counters and O'scopes back then.
So we had lots of these nixies around so they encouraged the technicians to take some home and build stuff.
(Nicest, most friendly company I ever worked for.)

You should make a nixie clock with a motion sensor so that the nixies only come on when there is motion. It seems a waste to have them running 24/7 when no one is around. :D

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 71 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next