Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 25, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Original German made Grundig tube type all band radios
PostPosted: Nov Sat 17, 2007 3:33 am 

Hello; Anyone have any ideas where I might locate any of these sets, along with service sheets, schematics & parts lists? Thanks in advance! Don .........

Post subject: Re: Original German made Grundig tube type all band radios
PostPosted: Nov Sat 17, 2007 7:07 am 
Banned

Don Eaglesham wrote:
Hello; Anyone have any ideas where I might locate any of these sets, along with service sheets, schematics & parts lists? Thanks in advance! Don .........

Dare I suggest ebay+radiomuseum.org?

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 17, 2007 7:35 am 

Hi Don,
Ebay usually has European sets, many go very reasonable.

There are a few mambers here who like them, and may have something you can use.

Local auctions can turn up a set. I found a large set last spring with the receipts and manuals for around $40 locally.

Once you find a set, there are places like the Radiomuseum that will have diagrams. Radiomuseum is a site that deals with many European sets.
Good luck,
Gary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 17, 2007 5:49 pm 

...there is also eBay-Deutschland (ebay.de), accessible from the eBay home page (Global Sites>Germany). It looks exactly like our own eBay, except everything is in German. In fact, if you're a registered eBay user, your registration information will also work there. If you're interested in genuine German radios, what better place to find them but in Germany, right?. However, there are a few things to consider:
1. eBay-Deutschland is, naturally enough, a German-language site, so if you don't read German, obviously it wouldn't be a good place for you. Occasionally a seller will include an English translation of an item description, but that is not a frequent occurrence.
2. If language is not a serious problem, shipping might be. As with our own eBay, the majority of eBay-Deutschland sellers will only ship to domestic buyers (i. e. Germany/European Union). If the item does not say 'Versand nach: Weltweit' (Ship to: Worldwide) on it, there would be no sense in bidding on it in the first place. And the shipping costs from Germany to the US could equal--or even exceed--the actual cost of the item if you are the winning bidder.
3. The overwhelming majority of radios you will find there are domestic German models rather than US or export versions. Therefore there will be some limitations to them, especially if they have FM (UKW). The FM band in Germany stops at 104 MHz on newer sets, and on many older tube sets it stops at 100 MHz. There are some exceptions to this, especially with transistor radios, but they are infrequent. Also, they may be wired for 220V only and thus not even work here (but most of them are switchable).
If none of the above considerations are a major problem for you, it might be an interesting place to check out. I usually browse three places: 'Audio und Hi-Fi>Radios und Radiorecorder>Weltempfänger' (Audio and Hi-Fi>Radios and Radio Recorders>World Receivers), 'Audio und Hi-Fi>Hi-Fi Raritäten' (Audio and Hi-Fi>Hi-Fi Rarities), and 'Sammeln und Seltenes>Radios' (Collectibles>Radios)...

Good hunting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 18, 2007 2:12 am 

I like to peruse Ebay Germany too but with the Euro to Dollar exchange rate plus the shipping its an expensive proposistion to buy a radio. Shipping can run from 90-150 dollars for reasonable estimates. You can use babelfish to translate non english listings but sometimes even that doesn't help. Either way it's fun to see whats out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 18, 2007 4:04 am 

I have a barn full of Euro radios, what are you looking for?? Do you ever come to Boston Mass.? Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 18, 2007 5:08 am 

One of my neighbors is selling a Grundig Console Stereo from the late 1950's or early 1960's that has am/fm, 2 sw bands and a reel to reel tape deck. He claims that it works and wants $25 for it. Unfortunately this is near San Jose, California. I would probably buy it, except that I have a few too many consoles right at the moment.

Allan

Post subject: Grundig 960 German manufactured radio
PostPosted: Nov Mon 19, 2007 6:53 am 

Hello Ross; The Grundig Model 960 table radio is the set I have in mind. I already own a repro. of this set made in Asia. It is called the; GRUNDIG "50th. Anniversary CLASSIC 960", model 960, - AM, FM, 2 Shortwave bands, table radio. I though it would be interesting to own a copy of the real thing as well. Thanks for your reply and I hope you have one out in the barn! Regards, Don E........ P.S. Thanks as well to every one else who replied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 19, 2007 7:00 am 

I HAVE A BIG SCHEMATIC BANK, MANUALS & PARTS LISTS:
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED!
I SCAN FOR GODS THANK:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 19, 2007 6:27 pm 

Ross, Do you have any large sets like Telefunken opus 7, Saba, etc. or any strong performer...four or more seakers, push-pull output.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 20, 2007 4:12 am 

Hi Don,
No 960's currently. The original 960 was a bakelite case radio, although I've been told that it was also available in wood. I have only seen the bakelite case. I too have the Chinese replica(using the term loosely!) I keep it in it's original box unused just as a collector piece. I used to service these for Grundig USA(Lextronix) a few years ago . I fielded many complaints from people who bought the replica and were expecting it to be German made and similar to the original. Some said they would have paid more$$ for a better radio. I may have some 1055's or 2220's around, I'll look.
Ross

Post subject: Grundig Musikgerat 960
PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2008 3:32 am 

Gentleman , I just recently came across a post from someone who is searching for a Grundig 960. I happen to have one that I will let go. I purchased this one about 3 years ago with the intent to get it up and running. Unfortunately, fate intervened, and I was felled by an old brain injury that required rather extensive surgery. I have more than a few of these 1950-1960s German tubers around, some are museum quality. If anyone might be possibly interested, just contact me via email and we will see what happens. The surgery has left me with some limitations, so I have enlisted my wife ( Judy ) to help. I live on disability as I am a disabled Vietnam vet. Peace, Edward