Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 28, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bought a mint 1959 Telefunken Hymnis
PostPosted: Aug Mon 04, 2008 9:38 pm 

Hello, I'm new to the forums, just wanted to say hi. I picked up a nice Telefunken radio from a garage sale(paid $120). I have been looking for a nice vintage stereo to gut and install a high-end modern stereo, but this is in such nice condition, I am going to leave it as is. Here are some photo's of it, they definatly don't do it justice:

I have one question however, everything works on it, but I am unable to get any FM stations in, their is an FM input on the back, but I'm not sure what to use to hook it up. If anyone can help me out, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Mon 04, 2008 10:56 pm 

Don't gut it. The tone on that set will be great.

The FM input on the back is for an external antenna. You can connect a cheapo folded dipole antenna from RadioShack. The instructions on the back of the set tell you how. You may have to replace the spade connectors on the dipole with banana plugs?

But, I think there is an internal FM antenna, too. So, if you aren't receiving any FM, there is likely something wrong with the set. Should be easily fixable.

The tubes in this set may be worth as much as you paid for it.

Chance are this set was brought back to the U.S. by an American G.I. stationed in Germany. Such sets were sold in American PXs, all decked out for the U.S. market.

Those post-war German sets were finished with a bowling-ally shine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Mon 04, 2008 11:59 pm 

Believe it or else, to upgrade that stereo with a newer one would cost you $1000+. That stereo will sound better than anything at Wal Mart, K Mart, Target, Sears, JC Penny, anything at a high end car stereo shop, Best Buy, Circuit City, The Wizz, J and R, anything made in France, or any town that has a population under 250,000.

Stripping that stereo is like buying a Mercedes SL, ripping out the engine, and installing an engine from an Algoremobile, that was returned to the dealership because it blew up, and caused a 50 car pileup on the 101 at rushhour.

Since the beggining of time and throughout the universe there hasn't been a stereo to compare with that one. Oh sure you can goto a expensive stereo shop in San Fransisco and get a phonograph for $1100 and a set of RCA Jacks for $550. But it still won't sound as good as that Telefunken.

Praise the Lord or your chosen entity that he hath bestowed upon thou, yes the King of Radios. Sing praises and bow low, once in the company of Telefunken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 2:18 am 

Thanks for the reply's. I'll try a new folded dipole antenna, but if that doesn't work I'll take it in to get it fixed.

I'm not selling it, but could anyone give me a rough estimate of what this unit would be worth?

Thanks for all your help,

Matt

Oh, and I'm not gutting it btw :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 2:43 am 

:lol: Tin Omen...

...that is a beautiful set; to strip it out as you originally thought of doing would definitely border on the criminal!...and as long as everything is connected and working properly, the sound of it will be as good as it gets. These usually have pretty good speaker setups in them.
...It would probably be a good idea to take the chassis out and replace the electrolytic and paper capacitors in it, although that might be a tall order for a first-timer unless you have prior experience repairing electronics, perhaps better left to the 'experts'. Also, the set does need some attention on FM. You have an internal antenna, probably a length of flat-lead antenna cable, attached to the inside of that cabinet, and according to one of your pictures, that internal antenna is currently connected. You should be able to receive something on FM as-is without an external antenna. It could be something as simple as dirty contacts in the band switches (although cleaning those can be anything but simple). Also bear in mind that this set predates the multiplex system of FM stereo broadcasting and is not equipped to receive FM stereo. It will receive the stations (when the FM tuner is working), just not in stereo. If that is a problem, it might be possible to 'cobble in' some sort of MPX decoder, but that is also something that is perhaps better left to the 'experts'...
...At any rate, nice pickup!...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 2:47 am 

Thanks for not gutting it. Something like that deserves to be left in complete condition.

If you keep an eye out, you can possibly find an old already gutted cabinet to put the modern stuff in. Possibly you;d get it for free.

As for the value, I have no idea, it was worth at least $120 to you, and to the right person maybe a lot more. Value doesn't really matter if you are going to keep something. I do know it would ne near ZERO value f you had cut it up :)

Thanks for the photos, that is beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 6:42 am 

Value on those depends very greatly on the location. I'm looking at buying one that I think may be exactly like that one on ebay. I'm figuring this one will go cheap though, local pickup only. Its not that its not a fine piece of equipment, they're just big and difficult to ship. Often they get gutted for the tubes and sometimes the speakers. Its a shame, they're fine pieces of furniature. If I get the one I'm bidding on, it will replace my '76 Onkyo up here in the bedroom, just because I'll have no room for both in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 7:40 am 

Those German consoles sound almost as good as vintage or antique Zenith radios or combos. The only difference may be that the German sets were built to overemphasize bass in many cases, but other than that these sets were built very well and also have very good RF sensitivity (good for use in fringe or far-suburban reception areas in the US; hook one of these up to a good antenna and you'll probably get more stations than you can shake a stick at). My grandmother had a German stereo consolette (Imperial-Edelmuth) years ago that she bought at an estate sale; it served her well for quite a while until the power supply filters went bad, causing a loud 60-Hz hum. But while that unit was working, it sounded fantastic, with two 10-inch (approximately) speakers at the base of the console. I don't know what tubes were used in the stereo amplifier section, but being a German set they probably had European type designations such as ECH81, EL84, et al. It was obviously an export model made after 1948, as it had the full North American FM band (88-108 MHz) and was set up for use on North American power grids as well, though it wouldn't have surprised me if there was some sort of voltage selector or multiple taps on the power transformer for international use.

I had a Grundig model 2168 table model AM/FM/SW radio that I got from a friend some 30+ years ago. The set was in pieces when I got it and looked like a basket case; there were many parts missing, such as the dial scale, knobs, two speakers . . . but I was able to get it working fairly well in mono; thankfully, the main speaker was still there, although its mounting board had a piece broken off it. This radio also tuned the North American FM band, so must have been an export model as well. It played its last songs in the early 80s, when the FM tuner developed a problem and eventually quit; I put it in my basement after that and bought a modern Zenith modular hi-fi system.

However, the Grundig, such as it was, sounded very good and received every major FM station in Cleveland using just its built-in FM antenna, as I would fully expect from a fine make such as this. It sounded so good I eventually connected an old Webcor reel-to-reel tape deck to the Grundig's amplifiers, using the DIN connector on the rear apron of the latter's chassis. I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't hi-fi (and certainly not stereo) by any means (the Webcor tape deck was mono), but I was pleased with the sound nevertheless.

I can only guess what the Grundig radio and/or the Webcor recorder could have fetched on eBay if I still had them today. One thing is certain, however: both units were built better than and certainly sounded better than today's imported plastic headphone stereos or even the imported transistor stuff that was coming off the lines in Japan in the mid-to-late 1970s. The new stuff coming from Korea? Forget it. My Grundig 2168 (and every vintage radio I own today, especially my Zenith MJ1035-1 and C845) could and probably would blow that cheap stuff out of the water in the blink of an eye if anyone were to do an A-B comparison test between these vintage sets and the new ones today. They don't make them like that anymore, unfortunately. :(

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 11:39 pm 

dcriner wrote:
The tubes in this set may be worth as much as you paid for it.
shine.

I wasn't aware that Telephunkens used sets of #45s or 6A3s in the output stage? Last time I checked EL84s were still being made new at a reasonable price, and there are loads of nine pin RF, Oscillator, and detector tubes around very cheaply, even as NOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 05, 2008 11:49 pm 

Vacuum Tube Valley is offering a pair of used Telefunken EL84s for $150: http://www.vacuumtube.com/guitar.htm

Matt said he paid $120 for the radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Wed 06, 2008 12:00 am 

dcriner wrote:
Vacuum Tube Valley is offering a pair of used Telefunken EL84s for $150: http://www.vacuumtube.com/guitar.htm

Matt said he paid $120 for the radio.

And don't forget Telefunken ECC83s. Used are going for $75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Wed 06, 2008 1:23 am 

Nice console. I'm glad you decided to keep it in original condition. I have a Metz 1706PX, also from 1959 that I picked up at flea market for $10.00. ((That price is the kind of motavation people need around here to buy consoles.) It had all the tubes and the radio worked fine when I got it. Since then I have recapped it though for reliability. They sound really nice. The record player needed a lot of work, and I found a donor player on ebay.de. Thats the only part of the console that is actually stereo, the radio is mono. (makes sense for 1959.) Originally I was going to gut the thing, but luckily I came to my senses and decided to keep it original.

(click photo to enlarge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Wed 06, 2008 2:07 am 

metzman liked his so much he named himself after a radio. Next time you post Matt you better be posting as Hymnus. :twisted:

Post subject: I have a telefunken like yours
PostPosted: Aug Fri 15, 2008 4:50 am 

I got mine after my dad passed on. He was a GI and probably did buy it at the PX in Germany or France were we were stationed in the 1950's.. (dcriner knows his stuff) the only difference is that my side speakers are vertical not horizontal like yours... Mine is not currently working, I will have the tubes checked out. Sorry I cannot help you with the value, I have been trying to figure that out myself...growing up listening to the telefunken brings back alot of fond memories...it nice to see that someone else has one as nice as mine. looks like it is destined to stay in the family...sure would not sell it for 120 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Fri 15, 2008 5:18 am 

Yes, that is a very attractive console.

If you want a separate high-end system, that is fine, but it would be a shame to destroy that unit just to have a cabinet. I have a system using Magnepan MGIIAs speakers which cost me $1,000 each in 1984, a B&O turntable with a cartridge which costs more than the turntable, and Yamaha electronics, so I do appreciate good components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Fri 15, 2008 12:47 pm 

I bought the identical set in England in 1959. A great sounding unit. To this day I wonder why I ever got rid of it. If I recall, I paid around $69 or $89 for it at the BX. Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Fri 15, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hi,
In these parts I see Telefunken consoles working but needing a dial restringing going for $10.00 at the weekly flea market. They are hard to sell because of size and limited knowledge of foreign radios by the public. I have a working Grundig Majestic 1956 console in the garage that if I asked $75.00 it would seem like alot to me.
There are so many different models out there with the same dial and knobs it seems like they were created by the same designer.
A set is only worth what the buyer paid for it, to someone else it may be worth $50.00. JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Fri 15, 2008 2:47 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
...There are so many different models out there with the same dial and knobs it seems like they were created by the same designer...

...you're partly right; it was simply a case of using the same chassis in several different cabinets, the differences being different speaker configurations, adding a turntable and/or tape deck of some sort, etc. Nothing new or unusual there, really...look at the Magnavox console stereos in this country from the same time frame and you'll see the same thing: several different cabinet styles and speaker/turntable/tape configurations, but the same tuner and amp chassis inside...
...oh, wait...the Magnavoxes did usually have different-styled dials in different models, even though they might have used the same chassis...