Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 27, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scott Phantom Value?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2009 7:50 pm 

I have been offered a Scott Phantom Receiver/power amplifier chassis set, 20 total tubes. They were probably never used, and the amplifier is in its original Scott Radio Labs box. The chrome is perfect. There is a wooden panel for the front, but there is no cabinet. It appears that two or three of the knobs are missing.

I've wanted a Scott for a long time, but I have bought only one radio in the last decade, and have no idea what I should offer for it. The seller is unknowledgable, but I am not in the business of stealing.

Anyone have a price range for these without a cabinet?

Jim Cross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2009 8:45 pm 

Jim,
As far as Scott radios go, the Phantom is not so rare. It is a nice radio. Does the wood panel have the dial escutcheon? If the chrome really is as new...then the value goes up. If you have no speaker...the value goes down. A set of knobs alone cost about a hundred bucks just for repros...
I have several of these and if I was offered one now I would have to think long and hard at any price. However, if I did not own one, and a really nice one with excellent chrome came along...then it would be a different story. Are you planning on buying it just so you will have a Scott? Do you have a display method in mind?

Before I ramble on too much...my point is the value is very dependent on your situation.

I believe you should value this radio as much as you would buying any high tube count radio. However, the Scott has an advantage because it displays well as a chassis only without a cabinet. There are not nearly as many buyers for Scotts as there are for Zeniths. So, demand for Zeniths keep their prices high.

My personal guess of value based on not enough information, and not knowing your situation is that $300.00 might be a fair price without a speaker (only tuner and amp).
Just my 2 cents...
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2009 8:57 pm 

On ebay with out a speaker, this would hit $500 easy if the chrome is good and the wood has the metal euscutions. The repo knobs are very good BTW.

There were 3 or 4 versions of the Phantom. The 1st was 19 tubes and used a 12" speaker non pedistal. The 20 tube was the mid year 'deluxe' version and used a 15" non pedistal speaker. a good set IMO.

As eric mentioned these present well and were sometimes sold with out cabinets but with the wood face board.

If you have the $$ go for it. I like the looks of the 20 tube set as its balanced in design where-as the later 28 tubes with FM are off set to one side regarding the dial placement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 12:27 pm 

I agree with the previous comments, but must note that the original box adds some value too. These are scarce and should be kept with the set no matter how it is displayed. With really good chrome and the box, even w/o speaker, this should be closer to the high end of estimates given here. Good luck...and if you get it, please post some pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 2:45 pm 

Offer him $200.00....The value could be anywhere, is he happy with $200.00??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 2:55 pm 

And if you wish to pass Id also be interested in purchasing. It would display nice in the recently redone FR.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 5:23 pm 

on ebay I'd bet a like new chassis pair would be near $750.

Benny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2009 3:20 am 

bennyradio wrote:
on ebay I'd bet a like new chassis pair would be near $750.

Benny

Jim,

I'll give you $750 for that set assuming that the front panel is an original factory issued front panel and not some cutout from what was once a complete cabinet or some homebrew panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2009 1:13 pm 

I think he was asking what the value was in terms of being fair to the seller. Not the value to him. When he knows what the "real" value if the set is, he can make the decision if it is worth that to him. Sounds like a fair, honest guy to me. But back to the question.... A Scott in the original box in as-new condition will fetch a lot of $$$. I say 750.00 would be a very low estimate. You don't see many as-new radios at all. Let alone a Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2009 7:40 pm 

Eddie,

just in case you didn't see it, it's only two chassis, yes, maybe more than $750, hard to tell what a Scott guy would pay, like asme99 on ebay,

it isn't a full radio (both chassis, all knobs, speaker and cabinet)

Benny