Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 20, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit w-1
PostPosted: Nov Sun 30, 2008 11:38 pm 

I'm looking for the schematic for the W-1. I've been watching Ebay for awhile now, and have only seen one. So i figured i'd try and clone one, or at least the circuit.

thanks
Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 01, 2008 2:23 am 

It's the basic Williamson circuit with 807 output tubes... I could probably draw it from memory. I wouldn't remember component values, but that's OK, since not all were optimized to begin with - the operating point for the driver stage was poorly chosen, for instance, and the low frequency stability was poor to nonexistent...

You'll need some REALLY good output transformers, or you'll need to reduce the feedback a bit, so some gain reduction is in order too.

Fritz Langford Smith (who knew something about tubes, I hear) did an 807 Williamson amp - it's the last one on this page: http://www.retrovox.com.au/construct.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 02, 2008 7:52 pm 

The Heathkit W1 is fairly uncommon - I have two versions. One was triode wired, the other included optional taps for UL operation. The output transformers were peerless.

The W2 was essentially identical to the later W1 with the change to 5881 output tubes. Output transformers were peerless with UL taps.

The W3 was also essentially identical with 5881's and the change to Acrosound output transformers. There was also a later W3M with some minor changes in component value.

The W4 was again very similar using a single chassis, 5881's and Chicago Iron.

I have manuals for all and can arrange to get you a copy of the W1 manual or schematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 18, 2009 1:47 pm 

Gary, I just got a W1 and power supply, not long ago.

I haven't gotten a chance to take the bottom off to tell which version it is (UL or not). Do you have the output transformer numbers handy, to tell which one this one is? I think it's a Peerless 16328? Dang CRS syndrome... hope I don't have digits superimposed...

Looks to be completely original, in any case.

If I could find a second one, I'd be hot to trot to restore both of them. Only having one has led to it sitting on the shelf (both by the previous owner and me) for quite a while...

BTW: now that I think about it, I even have a mono Heathkit SP2A preamp I could use with it. Yes, they're not quite the same age, but what the heck...

Regards,
Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 18, 2009 8:59 pm 

The original site is long gone, but it lives on at archive.org. No W1, but has most if not all ofg the others:

http://web.archive.org/web/200401261142 ... /heath.htm