Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 01, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alignment of an Allied A-2515 & a Regency World Traveler
PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2009 6:07 pm 

A kind soul gave me this Allied A-2515:

The AF and RF gain pots were so dirty and scratchy that it would hardly play, but I soaked them down with tuner spray and it now plays pretty well. On most of the bands the stations are just a touch off of where they should be on the dial, so I would like to align it. There are quite a few trimmers that are accessable from the bottom, but I don't know which ones do what, so before I start futzing with them I'd like to know which ones do what. Can anyone tell me or point to me to site that explains the alignment of this set?

And I got this Regency World Traveler for $5 at a yard sale:

It was dead, but after I replaced a fuse and the electrolitic caps it came to life. The dial on it is also a little off, so same deal, can anyone tell me how to alignment on it.

I do have a signal generator that's pretty close to being in alignment, but if I knew what trimmers do what I think I could use WWV and some other known stations to tweak it into alignment. And I also have a 100 kc crystal and a 500kc crystal that I could use to build a frequency standard if someone can point me to a good schematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 02, 2009 11:05 pm 

I found what I needed for the Allied A2515 on the BAMA site:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/knight/a2515

I still need info on the Regency World Traveler. It's a model # WT-4, but it's the same radio as the old Realistic DX-75, so info on either would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 1:00 am 

Could that possibly be a repackaged Halli S-120?

Is the pointer alignment off the same amount per station? Maybe a realignment of the pointer on the dialstring will bring it back in sync.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 2:59 am 

KC4VWU wrote:
Could that possibly be a repackaged Halli S-120?

It looks close on the outside but I suspect it's not, the phone jack is on a different place.

Quote:
Is the pointer alignment off the same amount per station? Maybe a realignment of the pointer on the dialstring will bring it back in sync.

I'll have to check, that would be a really easy and quick fix but I kind of doubt it. Unlike the Allied that was nice and clean and just had some dusty pots, the Regency has been around the block and back again. When I opened it up one of the caps had actually exploded inside of it, and it looks like it had been "worked on" before. But it does seem to play ok after I recapped it and replaced the fuse so I can't complain to much for $5. LOL

I'd like to get at least one of these (and perferably both) dead on the money, I have a homebrewed VFO and homebrewed 80/40 m AM rig I want to put on the air and I want to be able verify on a receiver while I'm still on a dummy load that I'm not 50 khz from where I think I am. Don't need any FCC nastygrams showing up in the mail box. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 5:50 am 

That rocks! I got a setup kinda like that, but it took the back burner for a while so I could get started on my big HB tx. What kind of circuit did you use for the VFO and how's the transmitter set up? Plate modulated?
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 1:22 pm 

I have the twin sister to your Regency, the Radio Shack DX-75. I do actually kind of like the set for general shmoozin' up and down the dial. It's stability is only so-so ('bout what you'd expect for a 4 band AA5 kind of set). It isn't very sensitive above 15 MHz. I found the operating and alignment data for the DX-75 here:

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/DX75/DX75.htm

Should be exactly the same. I have a pic of mine, with a Heathkit stacked on it currently on another thread.

Nope, not a "rebranded" Halli S-120. This unit has a different tube complement and a transformer. By the way, they suggest using the BFO as an "RF-Gain control". It can easily overload and the set has plenty of audio gain anyway.

Have fun with it! If you have any pics, I'd love to see em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 1:48 pm 
Silent Key

Just be aware that some of those cheaper sets were not designed with dial calibration being that important. I also think that is why they limited the coverage to ham bands only with some sets, as they did not have to worry about tracking over a wide frequency range. Then came the rage of the preselector that you had to tweak as you tuned the band. Made it a lot simpler to manufacture a set with tracking not being in mind.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 2:31 pm 

KC4VWU wrote:
What kind of circuit did you use for the VFO

The VFO is a 6AG7 in a hartley oscilator.

Quote:
and how's the transmitter set up? Plate modulated

Yes, plate modulated.

The audio in the transmitter has a 6AN8 for a preamp (feed by a dynamic microphone) and a pair of 6AV5's in a push pull. RF is a 6146 (750 volts on the plate) fed by a buffer tube (I don't remember off hand what tube I used for the buffer stage).

Curt Reed wrote:
Just be aware that some of those cheaper sets were not designed with dial calibration being that important.

I don't know about the Regency, but the Allied has 25 trimmers for calibration, and the 40 meter ham band is split in half (ten turns of the band spreader for each half) so I figure I should be able to get it fairly close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2009 2:34 pm 

TheOtherKennyG wrote:
I found the operating and alignment data for the DX-75 here:

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/DX75/DX75.htm

Thanks.

Quote:
Have fun with it! If you have any pics, I'd love to see em.

Other than the ones I posted, i don't. But I can take some when I have a little time.