Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 23, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Manual for an RCA WR50B generator sought...
PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2009 12:29 pm 

Hi !
I own one of this generator. The manual at Bama is quite unreadable at the end where it should be because it pertains to the use of the sweep for radio alignment. I'm looking for a copy of it in electronic form in order to make things cheap...
Thanks a lot in advance.
P.S. I'm new to the use of sweep generators in radio alignment. This is why i would like to get proper instructions for setting up the "thing" and my Tek 2235 scope.
Best regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2009 3:10 pm 

I have a PDF of the 50C manual. I'm not sure if they are close enough for you or not. If you want, let me know. - Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2009 3:47 pm 

KB8PUH wrote:
I have a PDF of the 50C manual. I'm not sure if they are close enough for you or not. If you want, let me know. - Don

Don,
The WR50C is the solid state version, but the general instructions should be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2009 7:58 pm 

I would be glad to get the manual for the version C of the generator.
I think that the use is not impacted by the fact it use tubes or transistors !
Have a nice day !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2009 11:52 am 

Don,
Could you send me the pdf of the 50C manual, please? I'd be interested in comparing it to my 50B.
Thanks,
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 29, 2009 3:39 am 

KB8PUH wrote:

Yep MEEEE TOO! :D

I have a WR50B and would like the WR50C manual.

Post subject: Re: Manual for an RCA WR50B generator sought...
PostPosted: Nov Sun 29, 2009 3:50 am 

georgesgiralt wrote:
Hi !
I own one of this generator. The manual at Bama is quite unreadable at the end where it should be because it pertains to the use of the sweep for radio alignment. I'm looking for a copy of it in electronic form in order to make things cheap...
Thanks a lot in advance.
P.S. I'm new to the use of sweep generators in radio alignment. This is why i would like to get proper instructions for setting up the "thing" and my Tek 2235 scope.
Best regards.

I have a WR50B and Tek 2225. I have not been able to get it to work. It works but the trace is distorted, even though it looks OK, I believe that it is not correct. The problem is explained BAMA archive WR50B version of the manual, on page 38 Phase Adjustment. Modern scopes don't have this phase shift, so I am working on an external phase shift network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 30, 2009 10:20 pm 

Sorry for taking so long guys. I got to thinking that what happened is I bought a 50C off another ARF member and he sent me a 50B photocopied manual explaining that they both operated the same. The photocopy was in very good shape so I have scanned it into a pdf and uploaded it to sendthisfile.com as I have a bit of a problem with my email provider uploading large attachments. Anyway all who asked should be receiving an email with a link to sendthisfile.com. - Don

Post subject: Re: Manual for an RCA WR50B generator sought...
PostPosted: Dec Wed 02, 2009 5:29 pm 

gmcjetpilot wrote:
georgesgiralt wrote:
Hi !
Thanks a lot in advance.
Best regards.

I have a WR50B and Tek 2225. I have not been able to get it to work. It works but the trace is distorted, even though it looks OK, I believe that it is not correct. The problem is explained BAMA archive WR50B version of the manual, on page 38 Phase Adjustment. Modern scopes don't have this phase shift, so I am working on an external phase shift network.

I use a WR50B on a regular basis. All the outputs from the WR50B look nice and clean on both my Tek 475 and 7854. I don't see anything unique about the 50 mHz analog Tek 2225 that would prevent it from displaying the WR50B's waves decently leading me to think your WR50B might not be operating properly. I have noticed there were different "build generations" of the WR50B. Early ones looked to use paper capacitors in them. Later versions replaced these with ceramic discs. I'll post some pics of the WR50B's modulated waves when I get a chance so you can see what it should be showing on a scope. The modulated waves also display in high detail on the 7854's storage mode, so it should work fine on modern storage scopes too.

MarkPalmer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2009 6:43 pm 

Here is what the scope signal from the WR-50B should look like, this is taken with the RF output frequency on the VFO set at 1000 kHz. The signal outputs of this particular tube generator should appear “relatively” clean, it was one of the lesser of the evils of service grade generators, just don’t expect the quality of signals you would get from a lab type generator that cost thousands of dollars.

Picture 1 is the analog scope display of the RF output, that being the 400 kHz modulated signal (This is a 400 kHz constant on the WR50’s) with the 1000 kHz RF signal applied. The WR50B will only allow up to 30% modulation.

Picture 2 is a stored display of the same RF output. It attempts to capture the 1000 kHz RF carrier signal within the 400 kHz modulated envelope just to give you an idea of what is really going on, however the analog signal is the representation of what the modulated AM output of the WR50B should really look like.

Picture 3 shows the 1000 kHz signal when the modulation is removed, it's just your basic sine wave.

When you view the 455 kHz and 10.7 MHz sweep outputs of the WR50, you’ll just see the modulated envelope grow and shrink a little as the carrier signal sweeps (moves up and down) in frequency a little bit.

You can view the sweep displays they show in the manual with a standard scope using its line triggering mode or using a 60 Hz external trigger. But, these displays don’t show much of anything other than 2 lines or the marker if you add a crystal to generate it. I rarely use the 2 sweep outputs of this generator as I can use the frequency counter to verify I have the WR50’s VFO generated RF output at the exact frequencies the alignment procedures call for. It will be nice to have an HP synthesized signal generator some day.

Sorry for the somewhat blurry scope photos. Too much coffee = shakes. :D

MarkPalmer