Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters SX-88 Bandswitch belt
PostPosted: Mar Sat 07, 2009 1:37 am 

Does anyone have an old broken bandswitch belt from a Hallicrafters SX-88 that they'd be willing to lend/sell? I'm in the business of manufacturing reproduction belts for antique radios, and I've had quite a few inquiries for this particular belt. I was hoping that someone on this forum might have an old broken belt that I could use to photograph and take accurate measurements. I'll be happy to return the belt when I've completed the research. Please let me know if anyone can be of assistance. Thanks!

Al Adams
www.Adamsradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 08, 2009 1:15 am 

My SX-88 had a busted belt, and while visiting my parents in Minneapolis I visited an industrial surplus store that had a big box of miscellaneous belts. I bought a dozen or so likely suspects and lo and behold one was almost an exact fit. Same tooth pitch but about 1/4" too short. The bearings on the sub-panel that holds the whole assembly together are a bit adjustable - moved 'em as close together as I could and it worked.

So someone is making them already, for a Xerox, or printer, or something. Just need the length and tooth pitch. Sorry I can't help you, I'm not gonna take that thing apart again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2009 3:17 am 

I can help out with this one. Will look into it this weekend and post findings.

Greg G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2009 11:39 am 

I just measured an original SX-88 bandswitch belt. It is possible the length has changed slightly over the years unless the tooth pitch was not an even number. Carefully measuring along the outside surface of the belt I get 27.5" The belt width is 1/8" (.125) and the tooth count is 112. It looks like about 4 teeth per inch.

Post subject: SX-88 Belt
PostPosted: Jun Tue 23, 2009 2:14 am 

I saw some discussion about the SX-88 belt. I wonder if anyone has made one or found a source.

Thanks
John
W3HPW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Tue 23, 2009 6:15 pm 

I'm interested in the answer, too. I could post info about the source in my SX-88 article ( http://www.antiqueradio.org/halli09.htm ) for the benefit of other owners.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 27, 2009 12:27 am 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my inquiry both here and via E-mail. A fellow radio enthusiast contacted me and was kind enough to loan me an old broken belt. Since then, I've been chasing down several leads for tooling and materials and trying to get this project off the ground. As I expected, reproducing a reinforced toothed belt isn't going to be an easy task, but I'm still actively working on it.

Greg G indicated that this belt has a tooth count of 112. Can Greg (or anyone else) confirm that this number is ABSOLUTELY accurate? I'm used to running these things down myself, but given the scarcity of these receivers, I'm relying on any information I can find. Presently, the tooth count is the only item I haven't been able to confirm 100%, and it's very important where tooling is concerned. If someone could give me an absolute confirmation on the tooth count, that would be great. Thanks!

Al Adams
www.Adamsradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 27, 2009 1:43 pm 

Per my reply above I neglected to mention that the belt I found was too wide - I sliced it down the middle and ended up with two identical belts of the proper width.

So don't be afraid to use a belt that's the right length and tooth pitch but too wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 11, 2009 1:09 pm 

I'm sure you didn't mean to question the accuracy of my count Al. I counted teeth on an original SX-88 belt for you which is a spare belt I have on the shelf here; not one currently installed in a receiver. I have restored four SX-88 receivers so far and posted below is a few pictures taken during previous work on two of them to indicate to you I have some experience working with this receiver.

This front panel was refinished by Lynn Brock; NĂ˜ALO. Unfortunately Lynn does not do these anymore but when he did he was the best in the business. Lynn applied a matching gray with the correct near flat appearance along with his special "aged" white silkscreen to recreate a vintage Hallicrafters look. Many of the silkscreens you see out there on front panel refinish jobs have that refrigerator white look. We try to avoid having that.

Last edited by Greg G on Jul Sun 24, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 18, 2009 12:12 am 

Thanks for the confirmation, Greg. You do some very nice restoration work. I wasn't aware of your prior experience working with the SX-88. Without having a complete belt in front of me, I just wanted to make sure of the tooth count before I make any investment in tooling. Normally, I have an few samples of whatever item I'm thinking of reproducing on hand, but the scarcity of this belt doesn't afford me that luxury. Your input has been very helpful and is appreciated. Thanks again!

Al Adams
www.Adamsradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2009 4:13 am 

Al, if you get the measurements and have some made I will be interested. My 88 is now restored except for the belt. Thanks, W3HPW, John Harlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2009 3:51 pm 

Greg G wrote:
I have restored four SX-88 receivers so far and posted below is a few pictures taken during previous work getting.

Greg, what do you clean the chassis with?

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 20, 2009 3:05 pm 

Cadmium plating is fairly thin so you don't want to employ more aggressive measures than necessary to restore lustre to the plating. A very effective way to brighten tarnished cadmium plating is to dissolve a small amount of Sodium Bisulfate in a cup of warm water. With a shop towel and rubber gloves wipe the chassis down. Wipe down again with another shop towel saturated with water and a 50-50 mix of industrial 409 and ammonia. The 409 kitchen counter cleaner variety sold in grocery stores is not strong enough. A good substitute for industrial strength 409 is Westley's Bleche-Wite tire cleaner sold in automotive stores. The sodium bisulfate solution is a weak acid and the second step removes discoloration and neutralizes the acid. I always wipe down a freshly cleaned chassis with a protective coat of WD-40 to preserve the lustre and retard oxydation.

-Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 20, 2009 4:48 pm 

Westley's is the best stuff ever for cleaning greasy, nicotine-soaked chassis...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 11, 2009 2:16 am 

Hi all,

I'm in need of a belt for the SX-88 also, was considering having one cut from existing stock, from one of the belt companies or from https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ , but would rather purchase from someone that has them available.

lonn@w6wq.com

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters SX-88 Bandswitch belt
PostPosted: Jul Thu 21, 2011 5:32 pm 

Wow! Great pictures on a restoration!

I happen to now own one of these through a passing relative. I thought in some way that I might be interested in discovering amateur radio as he had a great love for it. Before I get too deep here, would anyone be able to give me a guess as to what a cost of restoring this unit would be? Cosmetically, this radio is in very good to excellent condition and, honestly, it just looks cool, although not wife friendly as it is huge and is now sitting on my kitchen table. I cannot tell whether the tubes are good and do not own a tube tester. I did power it on briefly and I have a glow on the face and see many glowing on the inside. No weird smells and he was an electronic guru of sorts, so it may have had some restoration already. I have yet to open it up or look at the transistors on the bottom.

Anyhow, given my limited experience, is this more than I should take on and maybe buy a newer radio, get a license and go from there or is there some reason to use an older radio? He loved the older radio's, but I don't know whether it was due to his military/nostalgic experiences, or was it because the older ones performed better.

Thoughts, comments?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 21, 2011 6:19 pm 

Greg G wrote:
I'm sure you didn't mean to question the accuracy of my count Al. I counted teeth on an original SX-88 belt for you which is a spare belt I have on the shelf here; not one currently installed in a receiver. I have restored four SX-88 receivers so far and posted below is a few pictures taken during previous work on two of them to indicate to you I have some experience working with this receiver.
This front panel was refinished by Lynn Brock; n0alo. Unfortunately Lynn does not do these anymore but when he did he was the best in the business. Lynn applied a matching gray with the correct near flat appearance along with his special "aged" white silkscreen to recreate a vintage Hallicrafters look. Many of the silkscreens you see out there on front panel refinish jobs have that refrigerator white look. We try to avoid getting that.

I live about 3 blocks away from Lynn!!!!!!!! He's been doing silk screen stuff for years!

Todd

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters SX-88 Bandswitch belt
PostPosted: Aug Mon 22, 2011 7:48 pm 

If someone is interested in manufacturing a drive belt for the SX-88 I have the exact measurements as taken to make the belt mold.
A gentleman who was spearheading this belt project decided not to proceed several years ago. A quote of $3700.00 was given to produce the belt mold. If someone who has any specific information of someone who can actually produce a belt mold, I would gladly supply the detailed exact measurements for the SX-88 drive belt. I am not looking to make any profit from this. Just looking to help those that need this very rare part to get there SX-88 back online.

Regards,
Len N2LEN