Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 28, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit Color TV Flyback
PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2001 7:50 am 

It may not quite be an "antique" yet.. but<BR>I have a Heathkit GR-295 Color TV with a <BR>dead flyback transformer.<P>Any ideas if one might be available.. somewhere..<P>I think this TV is from the early 70's<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2001 10:43 am 

I don't know for sure, but the flyback may be similar to an early 70s RCA part for any of their sets using a pair of SCRs for horizontal sweep. Most Heathkits I've seen from this era have the SCR sweep section that's essentially a clone of the RCA circuit from that time period.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2001 11:12 am 

Jimmy Hoffa is probably looking at my GR-295 in the New Jersey Meadowlands trash dump. It went there about 10 years ago, while I was in a cleaning frenzy, before I "rediscovered" the hobby. I still have my manuals and the remote control though. <P>If the RCA tip does not pan out, you might try this site <A HREF="http://users.softhouse.com/uptown/multi-volti/" TARGET=_blank>http://users.softhouse.com/uptown/multi-volti/</A> They seem to have aquired the NOS power transformers and other stuff from Heath. It is a real long shot but at least it is a shot. Good luck.<P>------------------<BR>Tim

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2001 6:24 pm 

Hi Peter,<BR> You're probably right about the bad flyback transformer, it might be a charred wreck. However those SCR horizontal stages were prone to shutting down due to cracked solder joints around the big capacitors in the output stage or the capacitors themselves failing. A dead tripler would also stop them. Just disconnecting the lead to the tripler will check this.<BR>Also check any small capacitors across the SCRs, usually right on them and the mica insulating washer for the SCR.<BR>I'm probably telling my Grandmother how to suck eggs, but it's easy to get caught out.<BR> Cheers, Don Black.<P>------------------<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Don Black (edited 01-22-2001).]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2001 11:43 pm 

I was able to find a flyback for my old round screen Zenith set via ebay. Try <BR>tubesale@****** They apparently bought out a jobber and had scads of flybacks, I do remember seeing some Heathkit flybacks in their listings....RB<P>------------------<BR>KA0SCR

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2001 2:49 am 

Thanks of for the tips.. but the GR-295 had<BR>a good 'ol sweep tube for the horizontal<BR>output. 6KD6 I think..<P>The set was working pretty well before it<BR>died some 15 years ago. There are traces<BR>of goo dripping from the flyback. It's<BR>been in the basement ever since. I would<BR>like to try to get it going again someday<BR>if it doesn't cost me a fortune.. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2001 2:57 am 

I'm sending you via email a list suppliers of stuff for old TVs, including some who have old flybacks<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2001 6:53 pm 

Pete,<BR> I've seen flyback transformers with wax drips off them still working OK. It might be dead but check other things as well.<BR> Don Black.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2001 3:02 pm 

if you can get a thordarson or merit number let me know.i may have one.as for wax drips i see many flys like that that are ok.what makes you think its the fly?<P>------------------<BR>