Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 20, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith new horizons motel TV remote/menu question
PostPosted: Apr Mon 20, 2009 10:47 pm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My flea market friend picked up a 27" '93 Zenith "new horizons" motel set out of the trash. It has the standard 75 ohm coax input, a theft alarm jack, and RCA inputs. Much to my surprise, the TV actually produces a very watchable picture; but, I can't get it off of channel 3. The menu buttons on the set are locked. I have a Zenith universal remote that will bring up the menu; but, it won't let me autoprogram the channels. When I try to enter the channels via the remote keypad, the TV goes back to channel 3. I tried to access a service menu by pressing 9-8-7-6-enter on the remote; but, that did nothing. I'm guessing this is one of those sets that requires a special remote to program the set. I ran into that with two Magnavox sets once. I had to track down someone at one of the local motels to program the sets for me.

Does anyone know a way I can program this Zenith without spending a bunch of money on a special remote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 12:16 am 

Doesn't much matter, in a few weeks, you will have to hook it up to a cable box or digital converter anyway, being stuck on channel 3 would work out for you in that event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 12:26 am 

Ain't that the truth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 12:36 am 

radiotvnut;
Sounds like the TV is set in "Channel Lock" mode. Go back into the Service Menu and go to page two. Move the cursor down to "Channel Lock" and adjust it so that it reads not active. You may have to reset most of the items on that page to "not active" ie; Volume limit, Key Defeat, etc.. Especially if you say that the menu on the front panel is locked.
Then back out of the menu. This should allow you to get all the channels available to you, and free up the front panel.
Hope this helps.
Jim C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 12:43 am 

Actually, I never could bring up the service menu. I thought 9-8-7-6-enter is what brought it up on '90's Zenith sets; but, not this one. Anyone know how to open the service menu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 12:50 am 

radiotvnut,
Press and hold the menu button until the customer menu dissappears. Then enter your numbers and press enter. Now you should be in the Service Menu.
Jim C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 1:12 am 

That's it! Thanks! I forgot that the menu button had to be held down until the menu disappeared. Frankly, I tried to forget about these TV's. Every time I think I've forgotten about them, another one comes along. Zenith TV's were a thorn in my side during the '90's when I was bringing them home from the repair shops.

Just for fun, I checked the CRT. Red gun is good but the blue and green read "on the fence" between "bad" and "good". I decided not to rejuvenate it since it has a watchable picture and since rejuvenation often makes these Zenith tubes worse.

It does not help matters any that the CRT has some nicks in the screen. Looks like where the set fell over on gravel or other foreign matter. I have a '90's 25" Magnavox that I can't give away because it has a couple of bad places on the screen. Otherwise, it's a good set. Ten years ago, that would not have been a big problem. Now, when most people buy "used", they want the best and they want it for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2009 2:45 am 

I just scrapped out my '97 Zenith 27 inch table model; the blue gun finally went, so I tried rejuvenation. As you said, that made it even worse!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2009 6:20 am 

Well, it’s shocking and needed an immediate attention to sort out at the earliest
--------------------------------------
leneth
Motel Reservations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 29, 2009 12:40 am 

As a note: Many of the Zenith Hotel/Motel sets require a special service remote to access the features, (as does Magnaxox/Philips/ Funai - now known as PF)

"I know that all that is wrong with it is one little part".