Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 02, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA Victor Victrola Radio Phonograph Combination A-106
PostPosted: Jun Sun 28, 2009 8:31 pm 

Hi everyone!!!

So, I recently picked up a 1950 RCA Victor Victrola Radio Phonograph Combination model # A-106

I have the original manual with the original schematics and spare fuses and needles. This unit works completely...all lights and sounds, record player works on both speeds and the smaller record player is fine as well.

This unit is not restored and looks almost brand new....the finish is a beautiful cherry wood finish- the wood has no blemishes except for a couple of marks and a little wear on one of the edges on the bottom of the unit....otherwise, they are hard to see. Looking at the unit it looks like it was restored.

I picked this unit up at an estate sale for $50...I couldn't believe they were selling it for that but it wasn't theirs so they didn't care. The house was full of 40's and 50's furniture and what not...very nice things..either way, this unit is legit and must be worth a good amount due to the unbelievable shape this thing is in...only gets compliments and oohhs and ahhhs when people see it.

Is there anyone that can help me understand the rarity of this piece and what it might be worth and wheather I should keep it or sell it.

This link is to the radiomuseum.org site with my exact unit-

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_a106_a ... c_622.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 28, 2009 9:20 pm 

The thing is a beautiful piece. By the model number, it will be a Canadian RCA set. If the 78 changer has the 33 speed on it, it will be possibly late 1950. If it has just the 45 and 78 RPM changers, it will be a 1949 model.

It was probably the top of the line for RCA phono combinations that year. They made some magnificent stuff, both stateside, and in Canada. I always fear that, if one became available near me, I'd have to buy it. It looks like the (USA) model 710V2.

Now, for the bad news. Consoles, in general have very little value. You got it, because nobody else popped for it. People have an aversion to consoles because of their size, and wifey "can't dust sround it". They're also afraid of costs of repairs to get or keep them working. If you do get it into your living room, you'll be prodded incessently, to get it out of there.

It appears that you bought it with the thought of picking up a few bucks. Finding someone who would genuinely enjoy it will be a hard job. It's heartbreaking that handsome pieces of history like that have to go begging, or to their destruction.

Just hang onto it, and enjoy it if you can. My guess from eBay sales, is around $125-150 for it, from someone who'll go nuts over it, and if it has the original changers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 28, 2009 9:38 pm 

It is not smart to operate an unrestored set even if it works right now because it won't soon. Those bad capacitors in there could short out and ruin a very important part like a transformer or a tube. I would suggest replacing all of the capacitors before continuing to operate the radio.
Some one will brobably chime in and elaborate more....