Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 03, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stereo console w/ turntable and 8 track
PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2009 6:28 am 

Hello,

This has been in the family for about 35 years. We do not know how much it is worth. The turntable works but needs a needle and it also has an 8 track. This stereo works great, just would like to part with it. Does anybody know how much this would be worth?

Thank you,
Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2009 7:09 am 

Unfortunately, not worth much at this time. I've parted out many console stereo's like this because no one was interested in them. Not too long ago, I had a nice working Magnavox from the early '70's. I ended up parting it out because I couldn't even get the $15 that I had in it back.

I think the reason most people shy away from these is because of their size and many people today want something modern looking that will play CD's. Heck, many of the stereo buying crowd today does not even know what a record player or 8-track is.

On rare occasions, I've gotten $50 and $75 for a couple of consoles. The buyers happened to be older people that wanted a console stereo. Unfortunately, there's not many people like this around anymore.

Personally, I think these old consoles are better built and sound much better than most of the plastic junk available today and I have a few kicking around my house. I'd keep more of these old consoles if I had the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2009 1:45 pm 

Agree - these are common items at flea markets, thrift and second hand stores. They are usually offered at $75 or less and seem to move readily - at least here. Occasionally one will be priced much higher - and that's the one that remains unsold..... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2009 2:03 pm 

Here in the midwest, they are very common sitting in people's basements and garages because they can't get rid of them. Often they are left behind when someone moves.

The charities, thrift stores, and resale shops will no longer accept them as they are nearly impossible to sell. I have seen many priced at $20 or less at garage sales, and not selling.

As others observed, once in a very great while you can find someone who just wants a working phono to play some old records that have been in the family, or a person who had a similar unit in the house when they were growing up. That person is your only market for a console from the 60's or 70's, and it needs to be someone local because shipping such a large item is out of the question.

I don't see collectors having an interest in such units for decades to come, if ever. They are not high-fidelity by any stretch of the imagination.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.