Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 30, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Model 8-S-661
PostPosted: Jul Wed 15, 2009 4:17 am 

Greetings to all, I am hoping that someone has a clean scan of a Zenith 8s661 service manual that you can e-mail me. Beitmans and Riders are pretty blurry. Also, a service manual should also show me other things such as a diagram of the underside of the chassis. I am a newbie with more enthusiasm then knowledge, I have done several table radios but this radio is out of my league until I study and learn it first. I would appreciate any help, the chassis is not out of the cabinet yet and I am preparing to order some obvious needed parts. The previous owner said it hummed and smoked a very little when he tried it, and he turned it right off. So I guess I will start at the plug and follow the vessels.
Thank you very much for your time in reading this,
Vinny A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 15, 2009 5:30 am 

n.a.'s scan is kinda messy but it can be used,on this one m is k[1000],when a resistor is meg it will say meg.
phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 15, 2009 2:11 pm 

Vinny,

Check your email. I sent you the schematic. See if it is any better than the one on N/A.

Regards,

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2009 6:52 am 

Ed, thank you so much for taking the time and the effort in sending the schematic. So far I think Beitman's is the best copy. I am gonna have to study all 3 and see If I could come up with some definite values. Then.......well I don't know. Hoping when I finally get the chassis out it can show some more. They are just bad copies, the ink press was probably globbed with ink? Wish someone out there has a schematic with the values written by hand.
Thank you again,
Vinny A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2009 12:50 pm 

Hi Vinny,

I have an original Riders Volume 13 and Page "Zenith 12-31" (8-S-461) looks very clear. I think I also see the problem - this page is almost the very last page in volume 13 (about 6 inches thick) and gets really beat up and copies badly. But this page looks good. Has component values - (remember that before WW II, 'M' meant K ohms and Meg was spelled out . . .

Rather then copy this page, I would like to mail you the orig. along with any other referenced pages - like alignment if I can find it . . .

I'll go by Kinko’s and make a copy for my book, just in case I ever need it. You can keep the orig.

If that's OK . . . just PM me your mailing address. . . . I just don't think a copy from anywhere else is going to work for you . . .

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2009 12:58 pm 

Vinnie,

Looking closer, I see that this is chassis 4B01 and it references some alignment procedures in Riders volume XII page 30 -

I have that one also and can send along . . . sounds wierd but mabe when you are looking at the set it makes sense.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2009 2:17 pm 

No picture of the underside of the chassis that I can find.

I have restored several like this so I can help if you need it. I am certainly no expert like others here in the Forum, but I can offer basic help.

I have found that tracking down which component is where is a necessary pain for Zenith restoration.

I always do it methodically, starting at the RF stage tube pin 1 and tracking down components from each of the tube pins out. Then I label all I can with a sharpie directly on the component, and mark a copy of the schmetic . . . to make mattes worse, it some sets all of the same value components are denoted with the same number - like all .01 caps are C-12 . . .

This is just the way I do it - others may know better ways . . .

There is a post from one of the real forum experts - I will forward it to you - it's buried in another post and is really good advice about this process . . .

Jim

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2009 2:23 pm 

Here it is Vinny - it's from Mark Oppat www.oldradioparts.net
oldradioparts

Hope he does not mind my posting it to you - I don't know of a other way to refer you to it . . .

Mark sould write a book - this was just the best summary advice ever for me . . . even though it was sent to someone else . . .

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tommy,
I will chime in here as I am probably the only one so far that does radio restoration and selling parts for a living. I started in antique radios at age 15 around 1971... began restoring them for others three years later and turned it into a nearly full time job as I moved away from being a location sound, lighting and staging tech.

Here is my advice for a newbie:

1. Stay away from stuff made before 1935. Its harder to work on.
Also, avoid pre 1938 Philco radios as they have capacitors sealed in blocks. Philco was the largest seller, followed by Zenith, then RCA. On the west coast you will find many brands made in the LA area... such as Gilfillan, Remler, Pacific, Jackson-Bell and others.

2. Start with table sets, but you can do consoles, they are usually a bit more work.

3. Most companies made a wide line of radios, from 5 tube "All American 5" simple radios to very sophisticated consoles in the 12 or more tube range. The two top of line brands most sited are E. H. Scott (not to be confused with early stereo maker HH Scott!) and McMurdo-Silver. These were VERY high end radios with usually chrome chassis and lots of tubes. Generally any AM/SW radio with more than 11 tubes is pretty deluxe. Once the early FM band came along, that added about 4 or 5 tubes.

4. You can add a stereo 3.5mm audio input jack (wired for mono) to most any radio for iPod or CD imput if you want. Some radios came with a "television" jack beginning around 1939. This is an aux input.

5. Servicing radios requires a knowledge of what parts fail most, and how stuff ages. Mainly, paper and electrolytic CAPACITORS are the problem, and should be replaced. Micas can usually be saved but we are finding more of those bad now. Stock up on the most common sizes, caps are cheap (check out my site, I have great prices, so do a few others, and lots more thats not on my site). the electrolytic filter caps are VERY "fudge-able" in value, but keep the voltage rating at or above the original. The new ones are MUCH smaller than the old ones, but you cant get can caps much anymore so stick with axial and radial caps and install them under the chassis.

6. Tubes are generally CHEAP, and mostly very available. There are a few exceptions, however.

7. COSMETIC parts are not! Be aware that any radio with bad cosmetic plastic will be a problem except some 41 and 42 Philco radios you can get a repro faceplate. IF a radio has bad plastic (Silvertones, RCA, etc used it mostly beginning 1938) then most all the others of the same year will suffer the same.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 17, 2009 3:56 am 

Mr. Candler, PM sent.
Vinny A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 17, 2009 8:10 pm 

Hey Vinny,

Not sure what happened but I have not gotten your PM . . .

I can mail the copies tomorow if I get your address . . .

Jim