Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 02, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: When and why did electronics stop being made as furniture?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 7:48 pm 

And I guess a companion question would be when did the black box school of design start--when everything started being packaged in an ugly, black plastic (in the case of TV's) case with no design to it. I know 1965 is the last year Fisher presents pictures on the internet of its various models in period cabinets, either traditional, moderne or period such as French Provincial. It seems like I can remember still seeing console machines as late as the 70's, but like everything else in the 70's they were fairly ugly and of poor quality--mostly Mediterranean with velvet looking speaker cloth. I can't think of anything over the last 20 years that has been sold contained in a beautiful piece of furniture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 8:39 pm 

My Guess is Economics:

1. Cabinet work is labor intensive. Little in the way of productivity gains. The relative cost of the cabinet to the electronics gets ever higher (Baumol's cost disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baumol%27s_cost_disease

2. Inventory costs - many different styles of cabinets mean much higher inventory costs and also risk of dud styles.

3. More rapid rate of fashion change (in part because people could afford to change the living room for simply style purposes) . Have a colonial decor in 1952? Maybe in 1956 go to Danish Modern? What do you do with your functional 1952 colonial rig? ==> Easier [url] Buyers and sellers go more generic rectangular aka boring/ugly.

best...[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 8:42 pm 

People today change their electronics much more often than they used to because of advancing technology, shorter lived components, greater flexibility or whatever. It doesn't make sense to build this stuff into expensive furniture. Usually some sort of "entertainment center" furniture is used so that equipment can be changed at will without having to get rid of the cabinetry.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 9:18 pm 

We sold some nice console TVs at Sears well into the mid/latter '80s, robbed speakers from a top of the line curbside '85 LXI a few months ago...

Seems the nice console stereos were gone by the later 70s... Most of the later stereo console stuff was Soundesign, Electrophonic, etc or some other brand that was just plastic, shelf paper and particle board... Few had more than 6"-8" speakers with 2 oz magnets, and half pound of electronics...

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 10:24 pm 

I have a friend that has an interesting (although no doubt cheap) 70's console stereo that for all intents and purposes looks like an end table. Actually they have it next to their sofa and have a lamp on it.

But open the doors and it is an AF/FM stereo with 8-track and it has a changer in a drawer you can pull out.

Cheesy, but they like it a lot.

I remember at the Extravaganza, two people had Atwater Kent Kiel tables for sale. I never saw one before in my life; now I've seen two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 10:50 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
People today change their electronics much more often than they used to because of advancing technology, shorter lived components, greater flexibility or whatever.Dave

Thanks! I do have a strong suspicion that people buy equipment for the sake of the equipment itself--I don't believe sound reproduction has improved much in the last 50 years--maybe in a miniscule technical sense, but not to the extent that it really enhances the listening pleasure. I think all the great advances were made from the 20's to the 50's, then everything beyond that is just a variation on the same themes. I'm easy to please, 'tho--I don't mind some background noise and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 11:23 pm 

Can't forget those Electrophonic consoles like the one my friend had. It had the cheezy velour type speaker cloth and plastic cabinet, etc. And OH!! those BOOOOOOMY bass notes with almost no high end at all!

Phil

P.S.

The electronics part of those consoles was mounted in one of the electronics racks up on Devil's Tower in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" I recognized it immediately the first time I saw the movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 11:46 pm 

Mainly because people want the flexibility of separate components rather than all in one consoles. So the only furniture is the "entertainment center" wall unit or some such, into which you put your TV and audio system and speakers, etc.

You can change/upgrade one component without tossing the whole system. Easier and more practical.

Of course, radios stopped being sold in big console cabinets when TV took over. There are some great sounding (and looking) stereo equipment from the 70s/80s that came in wood cabinets. Just a box, but still wood.

I have some excellent Pioneer receivers, TEAC tape decks and big wood floor standing speakers from this period. If you think there was no improvement in sound reproduction since 1950 you are dreaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2009 11:57 pm 

I know a few people that would have no problem replacing their $3000 2 year old flatscreen the minute something "better" is announced. And, much of the younger generation looks at cabinet TV's and stereo's as something owned by lower class people.

The newest console TV that I've seen was a 25" 2001 Zenith housed in a cheap particleboard and plastic cabinet. The newest TV/stereo combo that I've seen was an early '80's Curtis-Mathes and the newest console stereo that I've seen was a circa '79 Zenith. The cabinet was cheap and the electronics were not much better than something from a Soundesign, Yorx, Electrohome, etc.

I haven't seen a decent console stereo made after about 1973. In fact, many started going down the drain in the late '60's. I fixed a '70 RCA for a guy that was a decent stereo and Zenith and Magnavox made a few decent ones on up into the '70's; but, most everything else was junk.

What I find comical is the number of those junky '70's jobs that are being peddled on places like CL by sellers that think they are worth a mega fortune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 12:17 am 

I don't remember what year it is, but my mom bought a very nice Early American Sylvania console stereo with 8-Track(I'd already left home and that was Nov of '70)... Guessing it's '72-'73, I'll have to look at it next time I'm over at my sisters... Ma pawned it off on sis years ago, after I got her a 100W per channel rack system for Christmas in about '87... She still uses that several times a week...

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 12:52 am 

philkb wrote:
Can't forget those Electrophonic consoles like the one my friend had. It had the cheezy velour type speaker cloth and plastic cabinet, etc. And OH!! those BOOOOOOMY bass notes with almost no high end at all!

Everything was transistor by that time, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 1:00 am 

[quote="radiotvnut"]I haven't seen a decent______________made after about 1973.[/quote]

I think you can pick about any consumer item, insert it after the word "decent" and be pretty accurate in your statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 1:07 am 

If my memory serves me correctly, there were no actual power transistors, as we know them, in that Electrophonic system. I imagine the power output was barely a few watts, if that. The big cabinet helped boom up the bass notes and made it sound more poweful than it was.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 1:11 am 

I remember the first component system I ever saw and was tremendously impressed with it. My best friend's father was head of the Baylor religion department and built their first home in 1953. In about 1955 or 1956, he installed a system in the hall closet--I know the turntable was a Garrard Type A, but don't know what the amp was. It connected to built-in speakers in the living room and projected gorgeous sound. A couple of the albums were George Feyer Plays Cole Porter and George Feyer Plays Echoes of Paris. My favorite was Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians in Hi-Fi and I'd have him play Battle Hymn over and over. Only he and his son could play the system--his wife and daughter were not allowed to operate it. One track on the album was A Cigarette, Sweet Music and You. That track was never allowed to be played because it had the word "cigarette" in it, and no Rock 'N Roll records were ever bought or played on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 1:30 am 

After seeing the Koronette Fireplace stereo console/bar - the question is not "when and why".... but rather ..... why the heck did it take so long to stop???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 1:34 am 

I guess when "stereo" and "surround sound" became the norm, the one-piece furniture item with integrated speakers became "dead in the water" pretty quickly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 1:40 am 

Quote:
After seeing the Koronette Fireplace stereo console/bar - the question is not "when and why".... but rather ..... why the heck did it take so long to stop???

Ditto. What have fireplaces and drink cabinets got to do with radios? Another one I don't get is the "radio in the grandfather clock" idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 2:11 am 

golfguru wrote:
Quote:

That thing is for the affluent wannabes...

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 3:26 am 

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... mQfsu92OBA

Suppose that could count...

Saving America's acoustical history, one phonograph at a time..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2009 4:22 am 

golfguru wrote:

Ditto. What have fireplaces and drink cabinets got to do with radios? Another one I don't get is the "radio in the grandfather clock" idea.

Maybe they all help set the mood for a different kind of entertainment? :lol:

Not sure about the clock theory.

Kevin

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderators: sofaslug, Paul Go to page 1, 2  Next