Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 20, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Columbia Stereo 360 ?
PostPosted: May Sun 06, 2007 2:33 pm 

Looking for some information on this very modernist 'Columbia Stereo 360' phononograph. Label reads "Designed by CBS Laboratories - Made by PYE Limited, Cambridge England. The changer is a Garrard AT5. I'd say it's about 1960 - space age look with a curved ebony wood cover. Info ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 07, 2007 10:20 pm 

I don't have any service or sales information on them but I have worked on a few of them over the years. It's circa 1965, has a solid state tri-amp system and a very odd ceramic cartridge similar to early Zenith Micro Touch 2G cartridges. The lid is gasketed to seal tightly when closed to form a sealed speaker enclosure. They sounded clean but not much different from any other comparable phonograph using a ceramic cartridge.

I never did care for the sound of side firing speakers but the Danish Modern walnut cabinet with turquoise grille cloth sure did look cool.

The Columbia 360 started out as a monaural phonograph back in the early '50s. It was still somehow related to PYE and had a VM record changer. It had 2 6-inch side firing speakers and a P-P 6V6 amp.
They were also sold in England with a BSR or some other British changer and known as a PYE Black Box.

Later versions included a real leather covered portable that used P-P 50L6 outputs with a voltage doubler power supply and side firing electrostatic tweeters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 10, 2007 8:00 pm 

Doug,

I have an early 1950's 360 Columbia record player with amplifier, and it used a Webcor changer. Dual 6V6 output, 4 speakers, GE magnetic cartridge.

Regards,

Benny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 12, 2008 5:21 pm 

Anyone have further info on this unusual phonograph since I posted last year ? Can't seem to find out much of anything on it. I would guess it's a low production item, and would have been expensive when new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 12, 2008 7:28 pm 

Drew,
Sams index lists a Columbia 360 (stereo) in Photofact 453-5, published 8-59. Phonograph pictured is a curved front wood cabinet with a gasketed lid. Two side firing 6" speakers, two knobs on lower right side near front. Amplifier has three tubes (12AX7, two-50C5) with selenium rectifier. Changer is described as a V-M 1200A (Sams Photofact 353-16).

Garrard changer AT5 is in Sams Photofact 805-7 (similar to changer).

Contact me for more information, email or PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 12, 2008 8:33 pm 

Doug VanCleave wrote:
I don't have any service or sales information on them but I have worked on a few of them over the years. It's circa 1965, has a solid state tri-amp system and a very odd ceramic cartridge similar to early Zenith Micro Touch 2G cartridges. The lid is gasketed to seal tightly when closed to form a sealed speaker enclosure. They sounded clean but not much different from any other comparable phonograph using a ceramic cartridge.

I never did care for the sound of side firing speakers but the Danish Modern walnut cabinet with turquoise grille cloth sure did look cool.

The Columbia 360 started out as a monaural phonograph back in the early '50s. It was still somehow related to PYE and had a VM record changer. It had 2 6-inch side firing speakers and a P-P 6V6 amp.
They were also sold in England with a BSR or some other British changer and known as a PYE Black Box.

Later versions included a real leather covered portable that used P-P 50L6 outputs with a voltage doubler power supply and side firing electrostatic tweeters.

I have a wierd one I need a schematic for. It's the 360 Stereo portable in leather.
It has the vm changer with a stereo ceramic pick up.
It uses two 50L6 outputs. One for each channel.
One transformer has a tapped secondary, and, that goes to a sub chassis with alot of low voltage electrolytics. That drives a channel in the center. The other two built in speakers seem to connect through that network, as well.
It orignally had a selenium rectifier.
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 13, 2008 2:32 am 

Mine is a later version - transistorized, space age looking, four metal knobs on the front panel, teal green fabric for the side mounted speaker grills. circa 1965.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 13, 2008 9:39 pm 

bennyradio wrote:
Doug,

I have an early 1950's 360 Columbia record player with amplifier, and it used a Webcor changer. Dual 6V6 output, 4 speakers, GE magnetic cartridge.

Regards,

Benny

Perhaps it was you that posted pictures of it on one of these forums a while back. I was quite surprised to see a Columbia 360 with a Webcor changer but it looks to be OEM.

Ken D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 11, 2008 7:07 am 

Drew... I have the very same phonograph... purchased at a tag sale a few years ago... though I have only recently tried to use it... after it is on about 10 minutes it produces a mild acrid smell and a bit of smoke... would you happen to know what would cause that and where I might get it repaired? I don't know anything about the unit, but there is a Wikipedia entry for Pye Limited. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 11, 2008 11:36 am 

If you can get your hands on a hard copy of a Sams Photofact index you may be able to find it by model number. The model number may be something other than 360. 360 meant 360 degrees or a full circle of sound dispersion.
The Sams website search won't list a GE model 14 record player even though it's in the printed index.

I've seen a couple of them for sale since your first post. They made more of them than you may think because I have seen a few when they were still new and several on eBay over the last 8 years.

One guy was trying to sell a 220V European model for over $300. He made up a large amount of hogwash about the unit and listed it several times, even raising the price after it didn't sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 11, 2008 8:28 pm 

DJM wrote:
Drew... I have the very same phonograph... purchased at a tag sale a few years ago... though I have only recently tried to use it... after it is on about 10 minutes it produces a mild acrid smell and a bit of smoke... would you happen to know what would cause that and where I might get it repaired? I don't know anything about the unit, but there is a Wikipedia entry for Pye Limited. Thanks.

Bad selenium rectifier.
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2009 5:01 pm 

Hey Drew.

I just got a Columbia 360... same description as yours.

On the back, there's a plate with serial number, etc. Mine says it's a "Model 1006".

It seems to work fine, after I lubed moving parts beneath platter.

I have one problem... I seem to hear more audio on the right side, and as a test, I played some stereo records, and indeed, one channel is nearly missing. When I play mono records, it doesn't matter.

Do you think this could be the cartridge?

ALSO... can't find any replacement cart/needle info anywhere.

You?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2009 5:15 pm 

It's very likely the cartridge, but, you also need to replace the selenium rectifier, and, all the caps. Is there a sub chaais on one side with a bunch of speaker caps in it?
If so, Please, I need schematic on how all these wires are connected, and, what colors the wires are going to each cap. Thanks.
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2009 5:31 pm 

It has turquoise grill cloth on either side, and the only removable area is on the bottom, a square raised area, held on by flathead screws.

How are you able to tell that the selenium rectifier and caps need replacing?

The needle/cartridge is unique... there's a tiny red "knob" that goes through the top of the "headshell", which is used to rotate the needle to either "LP" or "OS"... no odea what "OS" is!

I've searched everywhere for a replacement cart/needle, to no avail. Any ideas?

Here's a pic of the same one:

http://www.wavesllc.com/sitebuilder/images/50s60s70s0011-150x112.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2009 11:32 pm 

Selenium rectifiers get leaky with age. This was already happenning in 1957. There was an article on this in Radio-Television News that year.
Most notably, in their advanced decay stages, the plates will get warm. When they are bad enough they produce an acrid smell like burning rotten eggs. At their worst, they spit, sputter, spark, and, smoke.
No paper capacitors should EVER be trusted. They allow leakage. Not only caused by dampness. Often by breakdown in insulation.
I've seen paper capacitors, and, electrolytics explode.
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2009 11:35 pm 

If that's the stereo you have it may not have a selenium rectifier. Mine is an earlier model.
You may have a GE Magnetic cartridge.
Needles are very hard to find for these.
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 28, 2009 2:59 pm 

Upon further listening, I think I've eliminated everything from the power stage to the speakers. This was simply by panning the balance control with volume at maximum.

The speakers on the the left side are clearly working, just not broadcasting the left channel, leading me to think it's either the cartridge, or some other connection/failure in the preamp stage.

I removed the bottom, and saw where the micro wires from the tonearm/cartridge are connected, where there are also two wires with RCA connectors plugged in. I assume these are outputs from the signal from the micro wires to the preamp.

There's a great shop here in Ithaca, NY called Stellar Stereo, whom I plan on calling in on this!